Register now to get rid of these ads!

sanding for a re-clear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptvan, Dec 4, 2010.

1. choptvan

choptvan

Long story short. My clear turned out real rough ( thank you cheap gun and fast clear. won't EVER do that again. leeson learned ) and I want to sand it down and reshoot it. I have access to a much better gun now. I have a big roll of 400 grit left and was wondering if sanding it down wit that and reshooting was OK? Or would I need a finer grit? Thanks in advance.

2. badduce

badduce
    from aristes pa

1000 grit wpold be the roughest i'd use

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

400 is fine just block it and reclear .

4. ditto

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The roughest I like to use is 500. 600 is my choice most of the time. 400 would probably work, but I'd be REAL careful you don't cut through the clear with it...it does cut it fast!

6. choptvan

choptvan

Will it leave scratch marks under the clear I wil be laying over it if I was to use rougher?

7. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

You'd probably have to use more clear to even it all out. But the scratches should fill in if you're careful when you sand the old clear off.

8. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

PPG recommends 800 when sanding for a reclear and I have used it with great results. You will not see any of the scratches through it. PPG used to say 1000, but changed to 800 a couple years or so back because of possible delamination with the prior surface. Make sure your finish has completely cured before sanding and make sure it sits after sanding for a couple days prior to reclearing or the shine will die back.

9. choptvan

choptvan

it is definitely cured. Delamination? Cuz it was to fine you think?

10. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Yup. It's a pretty common practice when blending into an adjoining panel. Even if it is fully cured wait at least 24 hours after sanding. You are opening up the surface and it may not be fully cured under the surface....dry, yes, but not cured.

11. choptvan

choptvan

Thank you. I almost forgot ab out that one! Would have been fun to redo that... again!

12. concreteman

concreteman

Thanks good tip - never new you needed to wait after sanding

13. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I learned it the hard way with catalized acrylic enamel back in about '76.

14. choptvan

choptvan

any one else got an opinion/factoid/story about this?

15. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

I've always used 600 - 800, I have used 1000 in the past without delamination problems.

16. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Painter had an air hose break inside the booth painting my El camino on the last coat of clear and the whole car was full of dirt. I sanded the entire car with 600 wet and dry being careful not to go through into the base. Second time it turned out great!!

17. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

I would not use anything under 800. 800 is what we use.

18. I've been doing collision work for over 17 years. Every car we prep for paint in blend panels or just reclear we use 800 grit. We use 3m hook it 2 pads on a DA sander. You can do it wet or dry and just sand until the orange peel is gone. Be carful you don't sand through an edge or you will have to spot that in with the base color.

19. riskybiz

riskybiz

Heres my .02 800 grit scratches will cover with a new coat of clear. What you didn't say was what type of clear you had used. enamel clear or urathene clear or water base urathene. ppg 3000,4000,2002,2020,2042. 5 star clear, zoloutone clear,Dupont. Wet sand then dry with a rubber squiggie as you go till smooth. try not to break thru clear. Next time you may want to use a slower activator or slower reducer to give you more time to spray. But watch out for runs..........

Charles

20. I am a 3M Rep. And this guy is right on the money!!. Go get a 5551 DA pad and interface pad and some 800 finishing film . The softer DA pad combined with the interface pad will cut like 800, but leave a 1000 grade scratch. The pad combination lets you sand over the curves and also helps from breaking through on the edges. If you are trying to really level the rough clear pull the interface pad off. God Luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

21. choptvan

choptvan

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. Can't be to careful you know? Just want this to be as close to perfect as possible.

22. RDR

RDR

Worked for me too....sanded it dry (after I shaved my clear runs with a razor blade)...saved lots of hours of wet sanding and came out great..just stay off the sharp edges so you don't sand through...soon as the clear turns opaque you're sanded enough

23. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

Sometimes if it's that bad, you will spend more money and time than it's worth trying to save an ass looking paintjob. Just grab the 320 or 400 and sand it all back down smooth. Seal it, base it and clear it. Get it all prepped out and go get a painter from a bodyshop and offer him some extra christmas money to come over to your garage and spray it. They usually will.

24. Trencher

Trencher

800 X2....for a re-clear, but I never DA anything until 3000 grit...just how I do it...what a difference 3000 grit makes and you hardly use any compound, too!

Texas57 likes this.
  25. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Blending repairs are way different form an entire car shoot. It's the adding on of multiple thin layers to get your blend that might necessitate using a much finer grit paper.
    Jon Kosmoski, of House of Kolor, recommends using 500 on overalls, to get a smoother clearcoat finish over custom paint jobs. 3-4 coats to finish your paint, 500 it, and put another 2-3 "flow coats" or overreduced clear over that for a mirror finish (tho I've never achieved that, I still need to sand and buff!)

26. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Im a fan of 600-800 depending. below that you into chances of sanding through to your base, over that you run the chances of delam / improper adhesion.

its been said 15 times before. you just asked for more opinions..

27. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

If you're new to the painting business, and trying to save having to do a complete reshoot, I'd forego the use of a DA! You can use the 400, just kn0ock the ''tooth'' off of it by rubbing two pieces of it together until its' lost its' edge. The only thing worse than sanding through to the colour coat is not sanding enough so the clear gets a good bite into the job which equals a retutn job in about ninty days.

''..........is graffiti on the walls of history "

Texas57 likes this.
  28. choptvan

choptvan

not a chance. I have done verything on this car. I mean everything. I am not going to pay someone else to spray it. I was using a shitty gun, with a fuct up regulator ( did not know that at the time ) and some shitty clear with quick hardener. I learned. Won't happen again. It has been a lot of time, but not that much money involved.

Texas57 likes this.
  29. choptvan

choptvan

I did apply the clear REAL thick cuz I did not want to risk rubbing through. SO she has a few coats of clear on it already. Again, thanks for the replys. They help.

30. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

So what would be the longest length of time you could wait to apply a reclear, could it be say a year or more?