Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help identifiying front shocks on 60's gassers/ altereds please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3day, Dec 4, 2010.

1. 3day

3day
    from UK

I've been looking at a bunch of pics people have posted over time on The Hamb and i've noticed a certain type of front shock on some of my favourite looking cars from the 60s. Does anybody know what these shocks are and perhaps who made them? They all have grooves on the main body of the shock.

thanks

Attached Files:

2. Pasta

Pasta

GM spiral shocks? I know the stock GM shocks from the 70's were just like those in the pictures.
    I have no idea where to find a set, let alone find a set that is good.

George

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

yep - GM spiral shocks - used before mfrs caught on to 90-10 shocks and began to make "gasser-specific" easy rise...slow to compress shock absorbers. The spiral shocks would have been found on virtually any GM passenger car (even Vettes) from the late 50s to early 70s. As previously postulated - unlikely you'll find (or even need) any NOS, or even NORS shocks like that today. I don't know if anyone even makes 90/10 shocks anymore - although you could check with Summit/Speedway or other suppliers of actual racing equipment. Drag racers still need weight transfer.

dj

4. 32coupe

32coupe
    from michigan

classic industries restoration parts for impala,camaro.etc make the spiral shocks for restoration,also sells 90/10 shocks!

5. 3day

3day
    from UK

thanks a lot for all the info, that's brilliant. Cheers

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I noticed these on this 32 P/U at the Jalopyrama. They probably came in different lengths. Chevelle's used them too. Get your dimensions and then search the GM restoration houses. At one time originals were pricey during the Muscle car restoration years.

7. 3day

3day
    from UK

thanks for the help with these, Malibu turned out to be right length and after a bit of modification... all sorted now and they've worked out nice.

Attached Files: