Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old school trans swap questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noxided, Nov 30, 2010.

1. trmel3

trmel3
    from new jersey

find a side shift 3 spd with the o/d unit on the back of it. they are out there

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Virtually all non-overdrive transmissions run at 1:1 in top gear. It doesn't matter whether they are 3 speeds, 4 speeds, or automatics, if they're not overdrive, they're not overdrive. Overdrive is defined as getting more than one driveshaft turn per crankshaft turn. The Borg Warner Overdrive used by Ford and Merc results in a 30% overdrive. It's like getting a whole extra gear on top of top gear. In other words, it takes your 4.27 rear end and makes it work like a 2.99 rear end on the highway. My Merc will cruise at 70 all day long. On top of that, the 4.27 rear gives some spirited launches for a 3500lb car with 115 HP engine.

I will warn you that if you swap to a 3.00 rear with your current transmission, starting from a dead stop will be like starting in second gear. You'll have to fan your clutch which is not good in the long run and not good for quick getaways.

The rear end ratio of a non-overdrive Merc (in 1951) was 3.91 which I think is still not very highway friendly today but probably a decent compromise.

I stick to my original post. Find an overdrive tranny and leave the rear end alone.

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

No where in here do I see a mention of previous OD trans by the OP, have I overlooked that?
    Straight pipes, no speedo, no tach, is is possible that you're going faster than you think, and the engine is turning slower that you think, just making lots of noise? Or is your clutch slipping?
    Seems to me that I recall my parent's '53 Ford Fordomatic had 3.31 gears, the 3 speeds w/o OD were about 3,78 or so , and the OD models had somewhere in the low 4s.
    First thing you need to do is verify your speed and rpm. Speed can be checked by following a buddy at a predetermined speed or with a GPS. For rpm, maybe you can find somebody with a 6 volt tach you can lay on the seat and rig up some temporary wiring, or maybe a mechanic friend's handheld shop test instrument.
    Straight pipes on a flathead can hit resonance at certain speeds and rpm that may be fooling you.
    Without knowing true speed and rpm you're farting in a whirlwind and we're all wasting our effort typing all this shit!
    Dave

4. Merc cruzer

Merc cruzer
    from Colorado

NOXIDED:

Any pictures of the car?

Not sure how close this it too you..... you can search it:

Owens Salvage Co. -- used auto parts

their is a post today, good luck with the project.

HAMB ALLIANCE VENDER--10% off on all parts

we have 65 acres of all makes and models of auto, truck and farm tractor parts. daily nationwide shipping with ups and fed ex. we don't mind looking for the small stuff so give us a call toll free 800-798-2581 (ask for bob)

owens salvage co.
    3725 us hwy 83
    wellington tx. 79095
    800-798-2581 toll free
    806-447-2581
    806-447-2449 fax
    [email protected]
    www.owenssalvage.com

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Dirty: You gotta read all the posts. Original 53 Merc except for tranny swap. Recent engine rebuild, runs great except too high rpms at highway speed.

You got to assume the Merc came with an OD and somebody removed it.

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Assume="Ass (outta) U (&) Me!
    Dave

7. I had a 53 Merc with straight pipes, didn't run to good, put those motorcycle type mufflers, (super traps) on the end of the exhaust, back pressure, ran much better. Check what rear you have, mine hit almost 100 in O/D.

8. noxided

noxided

It did come with an OD but during the rebuild it was swaped out with the current non OD transmission. I would love to contact the person that rebuilt it but it was an older gentleman that had passed on and i picked it up from a relative that new nothing of it.

Also, i knew what speed i was going with someone driving next to me on the phone. And the rpm's were maxed because if i went any faster i thought i was oging to tear something up.

I like having a std trans, however my column shifter needs to be repalced" entire column" and i dont want a floor shifter, i enjoy the bench seat and the leg room.

[​IMG]

9. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Really need a tach , tire size and fairly accurate speed to know how to continue this conversation. I've had a 305 with 2.5" glass packs that sounded like it was working harder than it was. But, it fooled enough people.

10. Yea I was going to say the same thing. Most stock flatties won't spin themselves far enough to come apart. No offense to the flat head bunch intended here.

I have to agree with sled here. I have a valve in head motor that if I went by the sound of it instead of by the tach I would stop spinning it a good 1500 below the redline. Exhaust noise is deceptive.

Replacing the tranny is a 20 dollar cure for a 10 cent problem here. Fix the colum, even if you do replace the tranny you will still have to repair the colum.

11. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

bingo!!!

12. noxided

noxided

I apreciate the help guys. Im just going to look for the original trans if not ill swap it with a different od trans.

My column shifter is trashed so what other column could i swap it for and still have a 3 on the tree? I found a 58 f100

13. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

I've got a three speed with overdrive tranny out of a 62' fairlane if you are interested.

14. noxided

noxided

If that will bolt up, how much?

Also the reason im having shifter issues and need to repalce the colum is the shifter collar is worn out and i cant find a new one.

15. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

I don't know if it would bolt up or not. You would have to ask someone smarter than me.

Not much Imagine. Do some asking and find out if it will work then PM me an offer.

16. noxided

noxided

17. noxided

noxided

18. aaggie

aaggie

I'm from that old school and the first thing we did after buying a car with and automatic was to get rid of it and swap in a three speed with overdrive and a floorshift kit.

That said, if you want to keep it an automatic trans use a Ford AOD and swap out the rear end with a later Ford with somewhere around 3.73 gears and cruise in comfort.

19. You are trying to be traditional when if wasn't traditional even in the day. Until someone discovered tank clutches in Hydramatic and the BandM tranny came on the scene, automatics were not used in the day, especially behind a flathead. No one swapped a stick for an automatic. So use a C4 and you will solve your problems and unless you tell someone, no one will know.
    I used one in my 51 ford pickup with a Merc flathead and it was cool.