Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Blackout lights???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chip77, Nov 30, 2010.

1. chip77

chip77
    from monroe, MI

Ok HAMBer's, what are these, when were they used, on what and does anyone need 'em for a project? They all have 6 volt markings on them.

I was going through a drawer and remember these in my dad's garage way back when and I obviously ended up with them....any history?

Should be interesting...........thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sweet,,,, they are, as mentioned black out lights used on 99.99 % MVs or Military Vehicles....they are optically designed...<NOBR>The BLACKOUT STOP/TAILLIGHT and</NOBR> <NOBR>MARKER LIGHT (are designed to be</NOBR> <NOBR>visible at a horizontal distance of 800 feet and</NOBR> <NOBR>not visible beyond 1,200 feet. The lights also</NOBR> <NOBR>must be invisible from the air above 400 feet</NOBR> <NOBR>with the vehicle on upgrades and downgrades of</NOBR> <NOBR>20 percent. The horizontal beam cutoff for the</NOBR> <NOBR>lights is 60 degrees right and left of the beams</NOBR> <NOBR>center line at 100 feet.</NOBR>
    <NOBR></NOBR>
    <NOBR>have them on my navy jeep I think they look cool</NOBR>

3. chip77

chip77
    from monroe, MI

thanks so much for the insight....pretty cool info
    have any idea who would need 'em for a project?

4. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Some one on the for sale area. Look guy, you get shit for trying to sell stuff on this part of the website. Just trying to help. Check it out. :)

5. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I don't think he's trying to sell them right here.

Check on some of the military vehicle sites.

6. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

janet who ????? Nice lites.

7. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

It was a joke, the Janet thing. You know how Ryan posted a thing awhile ago with a story about a code name "janet" asshole, well my old signature thing was getting old. Plus, I like them, I was just trying to warn him that people usually go crazy over shit like this. I wasn't trying to be harsh. Sorry. :eek:

8. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Slow down there Killer. Bowtie Brown is not an asshole.

9. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

lots of cars during ww2 had em on, evean caddies and buicks, make a nice addition to a period rod.

10. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

True. I have to ask, what part of Mississippi?

11. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

4 miles north of kiln ms.

12. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Cool, originally from Columbus. That's just north of Bay St. Louis right?

13. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

yup, just stick on 603 north till it ends and take a right and im on the first road on the left.

14. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

lots of hotrodders here.

15. chip77

chip77
    from monroe, MI

I figured that these were probably pretty hard to find and if someone would actually use them in a project I'd give them to them. It would be neat to see them in a finished project and not sitting in a drawer.

Ron, do you need them for spares on your jeep? Could you post pics of your jeep?
    PM me if you want 'em.........

16. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Sorry, I don't know him. All I knew (or thought I knew) was that this person was a jerk over the hamb, such a jerk that Ryan made a thread about it. I mean... come on. But I don't know the person so I will be changing my signature just to avoid offending people.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Good idea getting rid of the "Janet" thing. I get that someone was an ass and all that, but my wifes name is Jan - Janet actually and she is the love of my life and a great woman.

For some reason she loves this Canadian. She is in Texas right now visiting all her kids.

Yes, I landed a Texas sweetie, all 5'-1" -120 lbs of her :) ( Or you could say she landed me !)

My life has been great since 2004 :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  18. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Bowtie Brown is not "Janet". "Janet" is an editor at a unnamed magazine.

19. humpie

humpie

military lights are 24 volt.so maybe they are buick,cad's or maybe trucks

20. BJR

BJR

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not all military lights were 12V. Even then one would only have to change the bulbs to 6 or 12V to make them work.

Chip77 I would imagine that there are more than a few guys restoring WWII or earlier Military vehicles that would love to have those lights and or lenses. There is a market for almost anything if you can figure out where that market is.

22. I could use some for the anti-rod (my willys pickup). When we finally finish it it'll be done up all gray like an old Dept of the Navy truck.

But I would think that anyone building a custom could french 'em and that would be pretty slick or even on a Jalopy. Pretty smooth for evading I would think.

23. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

screw it, chip, hang on to em, i'm heading up to monroe in a month or so on my bike (yes im insane) to visit my Fiancée , she's in college up there and staying at her parents.

those whould look kick ass on my international.