Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to get These Flathead Pumps???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Termites Ate my Chevy, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

Anybody know where I can get new waterpumps like these? They came from a big truck, I thought they were the same as a pickup but the ones Speedway has for pickups have a lower mounting plate. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A better brighter picture sure would help...

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Those are '49 - '53 Ford passenger water pumps with an angle plate "adapter" bolted to them. In the original application there is a kind of "C" shaped mount (open part of the "C" facing forward) that bolts on where yours have the angled straps. The factory mounts are metal/rubber/metal bonded construction.

If you want to use the existing chassis mount setup, you can use 8RT ('48 to '53 pickup) water pumps and they have 'side mounts' such as yours have been converted to. Speedway, among others have them readily available.

Ray

4. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

If you double click you should be able to zoom once. I can get better picture in a couple hours, gotta go pray that I can find some of these! :)

5. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I zoomed, and they look like '49 Mercury wide-belt pumps. These and the similar narrow-belt '50-'51 Mercs are not available new as of yet, but can be re-built by several people. I would recommend Skips in Florida.

The Speedway picture is of a '48-'52 truck pump. ('53 truck pumps are the same as '49 Ford car pumps). The truck pumps have the mounting leg lower on the body, as well as having a 1" narrower overall mount spacing.

But a better picture will still make it clearer. :)

Here's a quick comparo...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Took a closer look at the larger pic and think I was mistaken about your pump origins. I agree with V8 Bob about them being Merc pumps.

That said though, I still think the 8RT truck pumps would be the ticket for this. As V8 Bob said, the mounting ear on Merc pumps is higher on the pump body than the 8RT units. In your pic a pump with a lower mounting ear would be okay with the frame mount your have.

Ray

8. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

Its a merc flathead and it looks like a 5/8 belt would fit, is that the wide belt?

9. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes. 5/8" is the wide, 3/8" is the narrow.

10. jeepman

jeepman
    from az

there is a guy in az that rebuilds obsolete or unavailable waterpumps. his phone is 623-205-4482

11. Go with Skip in Florida....you will not be disappointed....

12. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

Thanks for the replies, I talked to Skip and he says he can redo em for $200+shipping. Seems reasonable since new are about the same, then i wont have to change my mounts. Thanks guys!

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Definitely '49 Merc, and the brackets shown take care of the height difference with pickup ones.
    Those brackets are offset pretty radically. I cannot remember if the '49 Merc ones are like that...they might be 41A ones adapting postwar engines to early V8's, which are offset for sure,

14. Try NAPA online, that's where I got my new '50 Mercury water pumps. Cheap too.

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I just made new frame mounts when I changed my Merc pumps to the Speedway pumps. Easy enough if ya have the equipment.

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

'50-51 should be same pump but with narrow sheaves. Don't know if changeover exactly followed model year.

17. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

Yeah, Napa has remans, but it is still less expensive to send them to skip. Who knows where Napa gets theirs from.

18. Tommy454

Tommy454

19. Mine were around 48 dollars a peice, 110.00 shipped. That was a few years ago, but still, like a sore dick, that's hard to beat.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  20. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

If I am reading the Napa website correctly they are $119 ea with a $11 core charge.

21. Huh. Bummer, nevermind then. I didn't turn my cores in, so it would have been even cheaper. Must have been a mistake.

22. Termites Ate my Chevy

Termites Ate my Chevy

I get a discount through Napa, i can get em for $70 and $90. They look like the correct pulley but if not, can they be swapped out. Because I had to order them for a 50 which people are saying the pulleys are the narrow. Havnt tried yet, just curious while at work. :)