Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Great build, can't wait to see it finished.

2. If I didn't know different, I'd have guessed that you found a N.O.S. Hurst shifter for it somewhere! :rolleyes: Looks beefy enough to row those big gears around in there though. Should make for some neat monkey-motion when you're shifting her. :D

3. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

This is always an exciting build . One of my favorites. Its very nice to see quality work and you are showing us all the steps along the way.

Todd B.

4. That's a nice set of headlights (they match up nicely with the radiator shell) and a great price to boot!

5. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

interesting project, very nice welds

WOW, after reading the rest of the thread all i can say is wow

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Great looking trike...looks like a fun ride.

7. yonahrr

yonahrr

New Video

I had to put the body back on the chassis to take some measurements and the speedster looked so good I decided to share it with a new video. Check it out on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mFfgR8zpOc

Jerry
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

8. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

outstanding , most cool build ive followed on here since the guy hand made a 32 ford frame ,

9. Great progress Jerry!

10. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Wow, wow,wow:eek::D:cool:. Took me three evenings to read thru this. It is impressive how you used what you had and could afford to buy, to put this together. I also like your ingenuity to get things done! IMPRESSIVE.

Car looks great!

BTW, your headlights cost about as much as my 32 headlights.

I vote for brown leather interior with BRG exterior, deck wood varnished, not painted. Brass trim pieces and handles to compliment the radiator and headlights.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  11. yonahrr

yonahrr

Help me decide.

It's getting down to paint color time. I've got to at least paint the chassis so I can start assembling it permanently. I want a color scheme that wows but still reflects the period. I was somewhat settled on a BRG dark green but now I'm having second thoughts. Here are a few color combos I'm considering but feel free to post your own pictures. I need frame, fender, body (possibly two tone) and interior. Here are some blues. Whatcha got?

Jerry
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

12. yonahrr

yonahrr

And now some greens

Jerry<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

13. I like this, with the wood tone in top of the deck.
    [​IMG]

14. B Blue

B Blue

Jerry, I think you are getting ahead of yourself. Finish at least a small piece of wood, then choose colors that work with the wood, brass and any plating you have.

Bill

15. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

I'd choose the Dual Cowl Duesenberg green color scheme. Not that my opinion means much, but that two tone green would look fantastic.

dv

16. trad27

trad27

Very interesting project I really like it, keep us posted

17. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Me too!

18. patman

patman

I think a dark green body with black frame and accents would be nice...sorta like this one you posted:

[​IMG]

19. yonahrr

yonahrr

And also red.

Jerry

Attached Files:

20. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I like the twotone green Duesey.

21. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

The green cars above look great but perhaps green is to commonly used. Paint it green and everyone who sees it will say something about a Blower Bentley (nice as they are). Suggest looking at alternative period colors: deep reds, yellows, and blues. Also IMHO tans look too country-clubbish, and grays too bland.

But it is yours so go for the colors that you like best.

22. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Posting 435...the Franklin in picture #5 looks right to me.

23. officerfalfa

officerfalfa

I'm a sucker for blue, so I say the two tone blue Duesenberg roadster. The last pic on post #434.

24. roger gerow

roger gerow

This must be a labor of love!

25. yonahrr

yonahrr

Doors

I worked on the doors some today all the time obsessed with the paint colors. I'd like to go ahead and paint the chassis and running gear so can start assembling stuff. I cut out the door skin and made a preliminary fitting. There was a lot of unfinished welding on the door frames so I took care of that too. Then I realized the inside of the door needed a filler piece because the door panel would never fit all the way into the point and look good. I cut out a triangular piece and welded it in. It looked great. Then I realized I'd welded it on the outside of the door and not the inside. Great! I told you I was obsessed with the color! I also opened the box with the gas tank. Don't tell anyone it's from a 65 Mustang. It'll fit perfectly between the frame rails above the differential.

Jerry

Attached Files:

26. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

GREAT build! been following along now and then when i have time. very inspiring. nice work.

27. Jerry, you may need a 2nd tank for that car :D!

And the door(s) looks great!

28. yonahrr

yonahrr

Ha, I know, 16 gallons ain't much. How about another Mustang tank in front of the first one. I think there's room.

Jerry
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Just use a 55 gallon drum.:p

30. yonahrr

yonahrr

Are you implying my that my 1000 cubic inch engine, 150 horsepower might be a bit on the thirsty side?

Jerry
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">