Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A altered frame question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by METAL MELTDOWN, Nov 22, 2010.

1. I am designing a concept of my 29 roadster, straight axle(skyhigh) with a custom frame. I really like the looks of the old competition dragster with the tapered front frame rails ( large round tube) that tapers in to a small front crossmember which holds the spring. I was wondering if it would be possible to taper the rails at the firewall in, have a relatively narrow straight axle and still have the torsional rigidity to be able to drive it on the street as well as the track. Not looking to really extend the wheelbase either, maybe just a bit. I'm going to run the radiator under the trunk lid so most of the front end would be exposed. Not looking to make a canyon carver just something cool and different that could still see a fair amount of driving. Tell me I'm crazy and why I shouldn't!!

2. this is the style i'm thinking about except not so long in the front end and a little narrower of a straight axle, high arching front springs and brakes of course. It would have the roadster body
    mounted after the firewall with maybe a small engine setback. The proportions would have to be right but I think it could be pulled off. Any thoughts?

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  3. AHotRod

AHotRod

My thoughts are if you could draw a scetch and scan it and post it, that would give us a clearer idea of where your heading.

Here is a old vintage design that would do this job....

Attached Files:

4. Similar to what I'm thinking but with the front frame rails pinched in even more maybe half the distance of the pic you posted. Starting at a normal width at the rear to the firewall and tapering to maybe a foot between the frame rails at the front crossmeber. Please don't embarass me by making me do a sketch, that wouldn't be good for any of us!!

5. Chicken Scratch

Chicken Scratch

I have basically the same theme going as you. If you do a search on here for "street roadster" alot of the style build you want will come up. My build got stalled by buying a new house, but 2011 I think I'll be back in the game.