Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a lift in their home garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Nov 21, 2010.

1. darkk

darkk

here's mine. 13 ft ceilings. not finished but we got the lift! we bought the BendPak HD9xw the extra high,extra long,extra wide model. it's perfect size. also have a rolling air hydraulic jack with it.the right runway is also adjustable to move wide or narrow.I've worked with a lot of lifts. For my money, a 4 poster is better for a home garage.
    [​IMG]

2. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Better run a chain down that wall w/ all the shit leaning against it right next to your lift. Ask me how I know.

3. This one is definetly in the running. My garage is 20x20 with 8' ceiling. I was also looking at the Kwiklift and the Atlas midrange scissor lift. Although athe Maxjax is more $$ It may be the best option in the long run. I would hate to buy a lift and realize later I could have done alot better if I coughed up a few mor bucks. Todd

4. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

X2..same lift I just bought...I love it....I dont have to get on my knees as I would with a 2 post

5. 36 poncho

36 poncho
    from ny

6. darkk

darkk

The garage isn't finished yet so most of that stuff will be gone. It's all very light anyways. We do watch so it doesn't cause us undue bodywork, haha...We are actually going to bolt it down. We both have Volkswagen high Hp front wheel drive cars as daily drivers. Getting on the lift with race clutches in these cars is tough. They are extremely grabby. First time on the lift the clutch jumped a bit with the front wheels on the ramps and pulled the lift across the floor about 2 feet towards the door. lesson learned!:eek:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  7. rustyangels

rustyangels

20'x20' is mighty small,
    the scissor lift don't cut it for running brake lines etc...
    The 2 post will need a thicker concrete pad than the 4" slab...
    but a 4 post can also double as a work bench too

8. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First, I have a 6' deep grease pit in my garage, added 13 years ago in People's Republic of Maryland. Thought it would be a big deal with the inspectors but it wasn't. They just wanted to make sure there were no drains or electrical fixtures in the pit. I love it. I have 1" thick plywood covers cut to fit when there is no car over it, but there is almost always a car over it.

Second, I don't understand why people say 2-post lift is not good for storage. As long as the car is properly balanced and the lift is on stable points, what are the issues? Is it because the suspension is left to hang and that may cause damage to springs and shocks?

9. raidmagic

raidmagic

I have a 4 post in my garage. It's a detached deal with 12' ceilings so I can put most anything on it.

10. modeleh

modeleh

This is my single post. It is great, and you only need an air compressor to run it which most of us already have. When it is down, it is countersunk into the floor so it takes up no room and I can still drive through the carport. Only trouble is you need to dig a 9 foot deep hole. They are not the best for doing transmission work, but it can be done. This was the style that most shops used for decades in the era of our cars, and those guys made them work. Like has been said before, all the different styles of hoists have their pros and cons.
    [​IMG]

11. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Thats what I was talking about! I love them things. whats cooler than a giant hydraulic cylinder that pops out of the ground? nothing thats what.

12. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

13. modeleh

modeleh

Well, retards will always find a way to make things seem unsafe. Beside the fact that he obviously cobbled up some rickety blocking from the arms, up to the frame on his jacked up truck, the hoist in the video doesn't have a safety device to prevent bleed down either. Accidents will happen anytime gravity is at work. The use of common sense has proven that many inventions made to lift things can be safe.

14. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I have worked under center posters for a long time and if you are safe they are safe. having workedunder a lot of different lifts every day for the last 10 years I can tell you that I think the 4 post types suck. and kwick lifts suck and scissor lifts kinda suck and two posters rule More working room and less spac invasion in the garage. I think that the maxjax is pretty cool for low ceilings. Although if you have the money rotary makes a cartrige type in ground lift with two posts that almost dissapear into the floor. If I had bucks I would have one. I have worrked under one for a couple of years and they are great!!!!

Again 4 posts suck. and then you have to jack up the car on the lift to get the wheels off. oh and did I mention that they are in the way all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

BRAVO!!!! Couldn't have said it better myself.
    However I still like my Rotary Portable.

16. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

If you go on You tube- there are cars & trucks falling off every style lift.
    Most aren't the lift's fault-

IMO- there's no perfect lift for everything. Maybe that's why I have 3. ;)

17. gerrald meacham

gerrald meacham

have a 10000 pound twin post love it my roof is a little low but works good ,

18. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

I installed a bendpack 10,000 lb asymetrical a couple years back, It's on a slab next to the garage. I think once you have one, you wont want to go without, kinda like electricty and running water. One plus for the twin post you can use the arms to unload heavy crap out of the back of your truck.
    Being installed outdoor sucks, looking to cover it with a carport type of deal.

19. phukinartie

phukinartie

My 4 poster suits me fine

Attached Files:

20. cwayne

cwayne

I've got a Eagle 4 post, the reason i bought a 4 post over a 2 post is once you mount a 2 post it's there for a long time where i can move the 4 post anywhere i want too in the garage.. The up side to the 2 post is it's a lot easier to do brake jobs and remove tires for any reason.. with that said you learn to work around that as the car in the pictures shows. which every you get you'll love it and be better off all the way around.

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      305.1 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      288.8 KB
      Views:
  21. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I've got a Bendpak four post. Lets me put three cars in a two car garage, but I do have a 12 foot ceiling. This would not work with anything shorter. Also makes it a lot easier to work on a car. On top is my in progress 53 Ford convertible, and underneath is my 34 Ford coupe.

Attached Files:

22. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Well I am older or I just do not like laying on my back anymore we put a 2 post in my shop its a bend pack. My buddies called me a pussy but their cars are always on it !!

23. No Cents

No Cents

Not trying to Hi-Jack this thread but..... I am considering a two post lift and wondered about the whole "asymmetrical or symmetrical" two-post lift question. What are the advantages or dis-advantages of either ? Thanks for any info.

24. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I have a BendPak full rise scissor lift (SP-7X)in my shop that I love. Its the best solution for working on a car for most things I do, like suspension work. Its great for painting as well to get the lower portion of the car done without getting on my knees. You dont trip over it like the other 2 post and 4 post lifts.

In my garage I have a BendPak 4 post lift. Great for storage, oil changes, exhaust, trannys, etc.

So, you in my opinion, you really need one of each. A 4 post and a 2 post or scissor lift. They each have their attributes. A 2 post is a great economical solution for the most versital lift, IMHO.

25. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I've got two four post lifts in my garage. My ceiling is a little over 10 foot. I can store 5 cars in a three car garage, but two of the cars are very low (Viper and Lunar Lander). They are awesome for working on the cars, even if you can't get them to full lift height. Mark 55 has the same lift in his shop, and we use the mess out of it since he has about a 30 foot ceiling. I don't know what i would do without my lifts.

Doc.

26. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

I have the bend pack asymmetrical. As far as I can tell the only advantage is the poast being angled allows you to open the doors a little farther to get in and out of the car.

27. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Here's the best lift for the money (I used to sell lifts so I have an idea of whats going on ) Direct Lift Propark 8000 lb four post CERTIFIED by The Automotive Lift Institute call Greg Smith equipment Cost me $2093 delivered to Ohio Even if you don't have the height to lift fully the area is totally open beneath the car I wouldn't have a scissor lift

Attached Files:

28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an Eagle two post lift in my shop and I love it. The price on the Eagle 2 post lift is cheap, plus I lived close enough by to pick it up and save on shipping. Took me about 3 days to assemble and erect. If I'd had a bigger hammer drill, it wouldn't have taken as long. :)

I was very impressed with the quality of the unit, especially for the price.

29. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

cwayne,

How do you get the car on the stands?

[​IMG]