Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the first car that ever lit your fire?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GaryC., Sep 15, 2007.

1. outlaw256

outlaw256

there were 2 cars that got my addiction going a 57 chevy ,silver with rasputins toy on the side of it and the 14 willys a watched do a street race in chicago in the late 60s. im now 55 and finally got me a 41 willys its glass but it will be fast.

2. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Austin Healey 100-M

3. 26 roadster

26 roadster

a Chrysler turbine car that filled up with kerosene on 25w (pre interstate) and a Shelby Cobra that roared by at the same time. mid 60's

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

In person, Alan Green Chevrolet Cheetah when it showed up at Westwood, I'd guess I was probably 5? Neighbors early olds powered Morris Minor about the same time, although I didnt find out it was Olds powered till I met him decades later. Photo, pic of a Fiat topolino in Car Life US Nats coverage, probably about the same age. The Car Life cover shot on the issue with the Dragmaster Dart road test really got me too.

5. Mine'd have to be a 1969 Pontiac Firebird. It was bought new by my grandmother in '69, and went into storage in the early '70's after the rad blew... (bank would give her a loan on a new car, but not to fix the radiator) I first stumbled on it when I was maybe 5, sitting in my uncle's garage covered in boxes and junk. Well, I couldn't see over the dash, couldn't reach the gas or the shifter, but sure as shit, every time I went to my uncle's house with my mom, I'd be sitting in that thing until it was time to leave. Loved how it smelled...

Now it sits in MY garage

6. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

!966 Pontiac Catalina, Gold with black interior, 389 or 400, not sure which, 4 speed, only car pops ever owned that I liked. I still love these, you don't see so many of them.

7. My neighbors old model a for he took me for rides when I was in my prime 6 or 7 tears old then he moved!!

8. Easy...I was playing on the school grounds at recess in fall of '54 when a brand new robin egg blue and white 55 chevy tudoor hardtop came cruising down the hill by the school..stopped at the stop sign and continued down the hill..I was stopped in my tracks!
    I knew I'd have one someday. I didn't know mine would be brown and white with primer spots..

Attached Files:

9. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

It would have to be the day Dad brought this home.
    [​IMG]

10. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Wow.... three year old thread resurrected ... 12 years old.... '32 Ford

11. Silverick

Silverick

I grew up in So. Cal. and my dad liked cars. We had a '32 Ford 2 door sedan then a '46 Ford Business Coupe that everyone wanted to buy and multiple others.

The first car that lit my fire was the Stanley's brand new '69 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate wagon that was ordered from the factory with the L72 427 and a Muncie 4 speed! Yellow with the wood on the sides, dark green interior and all of the options including the rear facing 3rd seat!
    It had American Mags, redline tires, glass packs and this is what Mrs. Stanley drove us to school in! She was cool! When we would come off of the freeway, she'd reach over and hit the button to lower the rear window before she down shifted! Sounded bitchin'!
    Now, is that a rare one or what?

It was brand new and looked similar to this:
    http://blog.cardomain.com/2008/05/27/found-on-ebay-1/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  12. uglydog56

uglydog56

I was five and in 1977 my dad drove home his cousin's 1975 Z-28 camaro. It was midnight blue metallic with white Z-28 stripes and white vinyl interior, no spoiler or ground effects (special order as he lived on a gravel road). It had the cool blue dome light, white letter tires, and dual exhaust with thrush mufflers. Yes, my first love carwise was a "bitchin' camaro:.....

Oh, and my first "fast" car was a 56 Chevy. And both I and my brother caught it on fire at various times badly enough to get the fire department called on us...

13. Between watching the TV show RT66 and seeing the movie Hot Rods to Hell, it had to be the 58-60 Corvette. When I became old enough, I looked for and bought one still owning it now over 25 years later.

Attached Files:

14. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

My big brother is 10 years older than me. I remember one day when he came home from college in a red '55 Chevy. It wasn't the prettiest thing, had some primer spots etc. on it and no front bumper, but it had a 327 with a wicked sounding cam barking through a set of headers with short glasspacks....twas a magical thing I'll never forget.

15. I thought this post was for the first car I lit' on fire...

16. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

1971 my Dad's front engine dragster,later his willy's coupe, anglia and most recently a 1970 Opel drag car. In between I picked up my Fiat. And yes, they all light my fire.:D

Attached Files:

17. Four Banger

Four Banger

My eldest brother's 56 Mercury Monterey two door hard top. It was 1960, and he showed up with this stunning red Merc,with a white roof. It was dropped about an inch and a half in front, with Dodge Lancer wheel covers and 3 inch wide white walls. A chrome tach on the steering colum set off the white interior, and the 312 rumbled through dual Smithy's and full length exhausts with chrome pencil tips. Yep, that's the car that bent my fragile 6 year old mind....I've owned three of those cars since (one 55 and two 56's). Still my favorite 50's car of all time.

18. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

i lit a 77 f-250 on fire once!, But no really it was my dads 40 coupe that really did it for me.

19. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

64 gto with a 455 BB. Lit the tires for a block long. Put me onto cars. Was 12 at the time. Never forget that car

20. spooler41

spooler41

I got an early start, I was 12 when I got a model A 2 dr. sedan. My Dad and I rebuilt the motor over the winter and I was driving it in the spring. About 2 months later, a collision with the chicken house ended my driving. In '53 the family moved to Portland ,Ore. this was where I got the hot rod bug. I can still recall the first hot rod I noticed,a 34 Ford roadster, big & little's and a, then new ,265 Chev power pack engine. I saw that car in the neighborhood many times,I could always hear it coming
    before I could see it, soooo sweet. I've been in the car game ever since.

.............Jack

21. erlomd

erlomd

damn....you beat me to it, it was my dads 1953 MGTD that lit my fire...he was waiting to buy a 55 thunderbird back in 1959 but the owner backed off the deal and had a 53 mg, so my dad took the trade...told me it was great, I have b&w photos of it in new jersey somewhere where hes standing next to it in the snow...top down and wearing a leather jacket open of course...man do I envy my dad....he sold it around 1978 cause I was about to be born, to a cousin of mine where he wrecked it in just under 2 weeks of having it...man did he ever hate may cousin for that, the plan was that my dad was going to buy it back for me to restore and own when I was 16...well, that plan went to hell, the car wasnt worth much to begin with and even in todays market are well under 20k so buing back a wrecked MG was not going to happen at the time...but fortunately I got to restore his 77 HD shovelhead...my plan is to get one just like my dads...even if they have crapy wiring I just love that car..
    great pic BTW

the pic below is off the internet, but it was more or less the same deal...ill try to find the old b&w pics and scan them for our fellow hambers

[​IMG]

22. Jims35

Jims35

Not much by todays standards ,but when you are 16 years old and it's only a one year old car ,you are in heaven. Makes no difference it's a hand me down family four door sedan. Dropped in back three inches , fender skirts, flipper caps in front . All i could afford working for $.85 per hour on a farm. The skirts hid the rear wheels pretty good,never needed the caps. Dual pipes, 272 Y-block , three speed with overdrive transmission.Blew the trany once and dad made me learn how to change it. The mainline model never came with much chrome trim, i removed the rest. That was the trend back then. Kept it two years, ran it hard and traded it for a 56 fairlane with the 292 Y-block with fordamatic air cooled trany. Blew the trany third day i had it. The warranty took care off it. Yes you could buy a used car back then and some of the dealers would warranty them.

Attached Files:

• c 1.JPG
      c 1.JPG
      File size:
      44.2 KB
      Views:
  23. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Older Brothers 59 Chevy.

24. pjbjr413

pjbjr413

It's hard to say, my dad always had cars around and was always working on them, I can narrow it down to about 3 that probably did it, when my parents first got married they bought a '72 Camaro RS/SS that they always talked about and wished they hadn't sold, the car is responsible for my love of the early second generation Camaros, then again it could be the '77 Ford truck my dad had when I has just 2 or 3 years old, a guy with no insurance hit him head on and I was out there "helping" him work on it, or lastly when I was 6 or 7 my dad had a '55 Chevy 2 door station wagon, I used to sit in the car and "drive" it all the time, probably the reason I have owned all those cars at one point or another.

25. I lit my '56 on fire in High School trying to hook up some accessory lights....Does that count?

Attached Files:

26. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Don't remember the exact car, but a 23 T Bucket was the first hotrod I fell in love with.

[​IMG]

27. Pluck

Pluck

For me, it would have to be the Stone Woods and Cook Willys. I was pretty sure that if you looked up "hot rod" in the dictionary, there would be a picture of that car! To this day, it still gets gets my blood pumpin'!!

Pluck

28. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

steel bodied 1941 willy coupe.not glass overgrown replica junk but the real deal cars do It for me.

29. oldskoolgasr

oldskoolgasr
    from oklahoma

It was the 41 willys coupe off of the movie Hot Rod that did it for me.

30. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

I was always a car nut from day one. But he one that made the biggest, lasting impression on me was my older cousin's bright orange 69 Super Bee with the 440-6pack!! :D
    Mopar all the way, baby!