Register now to get rid of these ads!

FAST Fuel Injected Hillman Husky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HuskyV8, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I've got a Hillman Husky with a Ford 302. It's a crate motor with 340 HP and a C4. It just never seemed to run right with the Speed Demon carb. I finally got fed up and decided to try adding fuel injection. I went with a FAST set-up because I liked the idea of self tuning and people had great things to say about their installs. So far the install is going well. I had to add a return fuel line, a pressure regulator, and an Accel ignition system.

It's now all together and just needs to be driven so it can tune itself. So far I love the way it idles. Much smoother than with the carb. I hope to get some miles on it soon. Haven't been able to yet as I've got some other things I'm doing to the car before it's back on the road.

Attached Files:

Carl Anderson likes this.
  2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

while a cool little car.............wrong board.

3. Bitman

Bitman
    from Eureka, CA

???

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That thing reminds me of a can of woopass!!!!

5. whats it need to make this board? It's got a transplanted motor (bigger), the body is early enuff, hell, it's even got red wheels. The work even looks top-notch.

6. 1959apache

1959apache

he's complaining because its not a "traditional" engine.

I like the car, I think it should stay

7. Ironswims

Ironswims
    from Illinois

"Traditional" police :rolleyes:

It's :cool:

8. I can see the EFI being OT, but now a small block Ford ain't traditional enough? Maybe he should just primer it flat black.

9. I agree to an extent. It is all about delivering the message. Lots of folks here play with EFI. You just dont make it the focal point of your post:rolleyes:

Titling the thread " Here is my Hillman with its new OT EFI" would be more subtle.

And while a SBF may be a nice mill, it is only traditional to the Mustang guys and losing circle track racers!:D:eek:

10. Don't listen to these fools. There are plenty of SBF powered cars here that are gladly accepted and the Hillman is really not that much different than a Fiat or an Anglia as a Hot Rod is it?
    And using a throttle body style injection looks like a 4 barrel now doesn't it.
    Jeez, some guys just need to talk shit for no reason

At least it not on an S-10 frame or a Mustang II front end

11. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I just think that one of the cool things about these boards is that you can get the real scoop on how things work. It's one thing for a vendor or company to make a claim about a product....but I like to hear from people that have actually tried something and had it work....or not had it work. Might save me a headache or two.

When I go to buy something one of the first things I do is go look on H.A.M.B to see what has worked and not worked for others. That's all I'm trying to do here. This was one of those things that sounded too good to be true so I was giving my two cents on it. Just trying to share the knowledge so it may be easier for others in the future.

I wasn't aware that there was a traditional thing going on here and not sure what would qualify an what wouldn't. I could see the EFI being a little too modern for some folks...but if it means I can drive my car that much more I'm all for trying it. Thanks for the input.

12. Carefull, Ryan has MII under his 38, we are all contradictory in our lines of demarcation in the hotrod world..................whew, that was a mouthfull!@ But true.

13. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I'm building another Husky with a 392, all aluminum top loader, a Maserati IRS, and a Heidts front end. I guess I'm contradictory on all sides of the car. I hate billet though so there will be none of that.

14. the edge

the edge
    from Arizona

15. Those cars would fit a tad better on our sister site www.dogfightmag.com

16. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

Just checked the dogfighting site...2001 Mustangs, Formula 1, Lola-Aston Martin prototypes. Not quite sure my fifties wagon big engined little car would go there.

Thanks for all the other positive responses. I appreciate it.

17. NO, the EFI part makes it fit in pretty damn well over there.

18. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

HUrry Up and drive this thing already I want test reports....I've been interested in the fast set up for one of my FE's...I want to know if it works.

19. Cool little car IMHO. I read your build up page a long while back. It´s only a Sunbeam Tiger with a different body after all.

20. Nice little sleeper. Theres a dirty little one for sale in the classifieds. Maybe they look more traditional to some with 20 different colours of paint & rust.

Attached Files:

21. IGOR

IGOR

Thats great! I've got a '57 Husky I can't wait to get started on. Cool little cars!

22. maniac

maniac

Cool little car, I learned how to drive a stick on a Hillman Minx, man that's a sleeper right there.

23. I'm another that thinks we should stick to the traditional like Air Bags, Mustang ll's, 700R's, right along with the Demon carbs, altenators, radial tires.
    really don't think anyone should get their panties in a bunch. just move to another post if it bothers you.

24. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I started my post with " cool little car" simply because it is very cool.....a shitload of work and should definitely be displayed. Not sure if EFI, braided steel hoses, MSD ignition, alternator etc fit the scope of the board. How hard is that to understand. I think Ryan said " Traditional Rods and Customs " which the Hillman is not as it is shown above. If it had been done in a style and manner fitting the board ... no problem. It is a nice street rod...really nice....and the board is " Traditional Rods and Customs " which the car does not fit.
    You newer guys can complain about the traditional police but you need to go back and look at what made this board special........and it is not MSD boxed street Rods

Quoting Ryan Cochran, Jan 1995

Even if you have come here for all the right reasons, don’t expect posting to be easy. We don’t cater to new fellas unless they show a dedication to spreading this tradition of ours first. We welcome young, old, foreign and all – but our original members and our staff expect a certain level of respect and an effort to keep things true and on topic.

25. carbuilder

carbuilder

Husky v8 did you use the factory front suspension. I have a 59 Hillman Minx convertible & have been thinking about the 302 auto combo. Can you post more about the chassis mods.

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yep... Cool car.

But the Street Rod engine doesnt make it a very good fit here, on the HAMB.

But like already mentioned, since the Dogfight Forum is about "Speed, Power, & Performance without Precedence.", it should be fine there.

Here are some pics of other Hillmans...

844_gasser18-vi.jpg

hillman%202.jpg

scan0062-4.jpg

scan0065-2.jpg

27. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

I used a front suspension from a Sunbeam Tiger. It bolted right up. The Tiger suspension also has the Tiger rack and pinion. The column is also from a Tiger.

The 302 in the Minx could be done....would be just like what I had to do for the Husky. PM me if you want more info...I'd be glad to help out.

28. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

My car that is getting the 392 looks similar to that one but has a little less rust.

Attached Files:

29. thunderplex

thunderplex

...maybe dip it in salt water for a few weeks so the "Trad Police" will "approve' of it.

If EFI was available back in th 50's - 60's, rodders would have been all over it. Just look at the GM fuel injection systems from those years, most people would love to have a ride using that old technology. The reason that technology isn't used today: less reliable and poor fuel mileage, but it still LOOKS cool.

I say, in todays world, anybody that doesn't use modern technology such as brakes and radial tires is an idiot. Why would you put yourself at risk using old technology. Anything that makes your "traditional" ride more safe and reliable is a plus and that includes EFI.

Here's my dollar, ...somebdy please give me $.98 change. I don't have $.02.

30. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With humble beginnings, Stuart Hilborn designed and built the first constant flow mechanical fuel injector. In 1948, at El Mirage dry lake, his was the first car ever to go 150 mph and the rest, as they say, is history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.