Register now to get rid of these ads!

Guys in Minnesota

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thegrappler, Oct 7, 2010.

1. thegrappler

thegrappler

Hey guys from MN just wondering how hard it is to get a title for your car, what info did the DMV ask for, I have no numbers on my 31 Model A frame or body, will get a SBC engine though. Thanx

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

AT a minimum, if you don't have a title, you will need a notorized bill of sale for the car. Bring in pics and the bill of sale, and you should be good. It is better (cheaper) for tax purposes to have pics of it before it is all built and pretty looking as they will asses a lower value if it looks like a pile. Plan on spending $100 to $200 depending on the taxes and registration, for a new title. Search the frame rails for a VIN, because if you don't even have a VIN, then it will get much more complicated and hopefully someone else on here can help.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  3. 8-Track

8-Track

You will more than likely need a bonded title

4. Not sure what your options are with no vin #'s, but if the car is complete or fairly complete you need to have the "previous" owner fill out a "statement of Facts" sheet on why there is no title and take that and pics of all sides of the car and the engine compartment to the DOV and you should get a title. I've done 3 cars and a motorcycle this way and have gotten a title each time with no bonding requirements. Granted all my cars where works in progress and I'd suspect that the nicer the car the more likely the state would require bonding. If you need a car bonded just contact your insurance company and they have all of the paper work to bond a car at least State Farm did. I think it's like $50 a year for three years to bond a car, but that is dependent on the value, but not sure on the specifics. My guess with no VIN numbers you'd have to do a special construction title or something like that and I'm not sure what the requirements are for that. Good luck.

5. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

A guy that works with me checked into getting a bonded title and claimed after three years and about $600.00 he would have a title for a car he was looking at purchasing that had no title.I would defininatly check this out before purchasing a car in minnesota without a title.

6. thegrappler

thegrappler

All I have is a bare frame and a rusty body (see avatar)not even installed, I do have ph #s from whom I bought them from but no bill of sales, when you bye these old parts you just hand over the cash and drive away not thinking of titles or registration

7. thegrappler

thegrappler

If there's a number on the frame where would it be?, Is it a stamping embossed into the metal? I know there's no riveted tags on it

8. Ole don

Ole don

Model A frames should have a number between where the steering gear goes through and under the cowl.

9. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Not to high jack his thread, but has anyone in MN tried to buy a "historical document" from the classifieds and pass that through the dmv? I only had one car without a title and it had the VIN so it was real easy to register, so im just curious if the "historical document" would be a good idea.

10. thegrappler

thegrappler

I found some numbers stamped into the top of the frame but can only make out 2 or 3 of them it looks like it ends with a 36 and possibly starts with a 2, how many digits should it be?

11. titus

titus

the title process in mn can be a pain.

jeff

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  12. henryj429

henryj429

From my recent experience, Minnesota has becided to apply the rule book a lot more stricktly than in the past. Last fall I purchased a 37 Ford pickup in Canada. The VIN was clearly visible on the frame and written on the bill of sale. The VIN was checked by US customs and written on the importation document. I submitted these along with a Minnesota DMV statement of facts, $83 and several photos of the truck. Should be good enough, right? Wrong!!!

Instead, I got a letter instructing me to take the truck to Thief River Falls for a VIN inspection. I called the inspector and he told me that he could/would only inspect a complete vehicle with engine and rear axle. My truck had neither. I would have to put an engine and axle in before I took it in. Further, the DMV told me that I would still have to bond the title. After much bitching, I got my $83 back. Fortunately I have a parts truck with a clear title.

My advise would be to try to find a good title with the fame (or chunk of frame) having the matching VIN. Weld that piece into your frame. Of course, do your due diligence on getting a "good" title. That may not be so easy.

Good luck!

13. thegrappler

thegrappler

With a little more sanding I found both Stars and have made out the A and 4 of the 6 numbers the other 2 have possibility

14. thegrappler

thegrappler

upon closer inspection it has 7 numbers starting with 26 which tells me it was built Nov. 1929 and I think I got em all figured out.

15. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I do what Titus does....buy a title. Its goes quite easy at DMV, just take the title in, pay the $, new title comes in mail in a few weeks. It'll cost about 150.00, plates and sales tax and trasfer fees.

16. Roadsir

Roadsir

Locally I noticed they are cracking down more. I recently went in to transfer a current, clear, out of state title to street rod plates. They wanted me to fill out a "affidavit of reconstruction" which I firmly stated that it was not a reconstructed vehicle, and they wanted receipts, list of modifications etc etc. I asked if the affidavit was required for collector or pioneer plates and they looked up the instructions and said no. So I ended up going the pioneer route. Strange deal.

17. in my experience , getting Street Rod plates on an out of state transfer sends up a big red flag at the state. just go in and get regular plates , wait a year or two and THEN go for them

18. LUCKY DEVIL 13

LUCKY DEVIL 13

I bought a registration for my 38 Packard and too that to the DMV and they had no problem transferring that for me at all

19. hes right! it ran around $800.00 all said and done plus i had to have a bonded title which lasts for 3 years so anyone claiming to be the previous owner could claim it within 3 years,which was stupid because the car had a state issued vin so i'd like to see the previous owner come and claim it!!

20. scoop

scoop

I've gone the bought title route twice with no problems,both were MN titles.

21. how did that happen? i transferred title on a `28 ford on 9/19/10 and still don't have a title. according to the Mn dept of Public Safety online services, that as of today 11/17/10 they are processing applications submitted to Deputy Registrars on 9/2/10

https://dutchelm.dps.state.mn.us/dvsinfo/mainframepublic.asp

22. Roadsir

Roadsir

My last two titles came in 2 weeks. The plates on the other hand took 8 weeks. They did grant 60 day paperwork which I don't think they used to do. (but I just ran a plate off my '34)

The new street rod and collector plates are cheesy non-embossed.

On the 32 I went with Pioneer Plates (because I refused to fill out a affidavit of reconstruction). I was hoping they would still be the old style, and they are the dark gold color. My number is 18888 which is kinda cool. The title came through clear with no problems Henry vin and Roadster in the body style.

I need a MN 1932 YOM plate if anyone has one or a set.

23. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

ANY OF YOU GUYS EVER THINK ALL THE TITLE PROBLEMS WE ARE EXPERIENCING THESE DAYS MIGHT BE BECAUSE OF BIG BROTHER WATCHING US THROUGH MESSAGE BOARDS???

i mean all you have to do is punch in how to get a title in google and this post will probably come up , all the hoops we have to jump through in some states is stupid , but it is only going to get worse ....

ALL I AM SAYING IS LETS BE A LITTLE MORE DISCRETE...

24. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Vin number is on the frame ,and trans case nowhere else , the tag on the firewall is the fomoco patent numbers ... places like california know where to look , getting lazy on research can get you in big trouble..

25. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

You would think with the states problems with shortage of tax money they would help anybody out that had cash in hand

26. BadCat68

BadCat68
    from C.R. MN

besides buying a good title. if you have any doubts about it needing to be inspected.. go to small town dmvs early saturday mornings.. the tended to "push" things along so they can get out of there and on with their days.

27. What Titus said and pick your DMV carefully. Some don't deal with the out of the ordinary very well.

28. so a "document" purchased for getting a title may fly thru the dmv .. at first ... but what happens when theVIN no. is checked against it for owner ship dispute , impound, stolen recovery ...

hey hey hey the black primer car with the red wheels is mine ..I CAN PROVE IT SORTA

all yer ducks not in row leads to a one big quack up...

IF YOU EVER HAND ANY ORIGINAL PAPERWORK , BILL OF SALES , PICTURES OR ANYTHING TO THE DMV YOU DO NOT GET IT BACK THEY DO NOT KEEP ANY THING
    .. SO A ORIGINAL TITLE SIGNED BY THE 1ST OWNER , HIS NAME , ADDRESS AND INFO .. POOF GONE !!
    GIVE THEM COPIES BUT KEEP YOUR ORIGINALS SHOW THEM TO THEM BUT GET THEM BACK

A HISTORICAL RECORD OF YOUR CAR MEANS SQUAT TO THEM

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010