Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Unsafe At Any Speed...Nader's Nightmare! '62 Corvair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Nov 15, 2010.

1. I have seen a couple of those shots, I love it.

2. toddc

toddc

Just wondering how maximum allowable setback rules apply to a Corvair?:D

More setback!:cool::cool::cool:

3. sololobo

sololobo

I had a great laugh at your pup on the motor. A dude has a big block chevy in a Karman Ghia here in Omaha (mid engine) and it is scary man. Good luck on this crazy project. ~Sololobo~

4. Not a corvair fan, but 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound pail is always cool to me, and the Hemi makes it right no matter what kind of wrapper it's in!
    :D
    I would double up on the depends for the maiden flight in that thing! :eek:

5. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

mines next , I GOT A 68 THIS PUPPY IS GOING IN.

Attached Files:

6. If that's a St Bernard then that is a really big motor. :D

You're going to build a chassis and set the body over it?

If not then you'll probably want to move the rear springs to the front. But if you do decide to build a different chassis I would like to have the rear springs.

BTW Nader was an ass trying to make a buck, which he did.

By '62 GM had delt with the front end problems in the Corvair but Nader had succeded in ruining a neat little run about car. The Turbo Spyder was even better than a neat little run about.

7. That pic of that little dog on the big hemi is priceless.

8. 63gasser

63gasser

I like it "drive fast take chances"

9. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I have two words for ya...Wheelie Bars!

10. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u5ITslkyKiU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u5ITslkyKiU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11. papajohn

papajohn

Looks like a seriously crazy ride. My blown small block runs like snot and is more than a handfull. It gets LOTS of attention.

You definately want to build a stout chassis. Mine is basically like a t-bucket with a corvair body. I did not build it, but if I did, I would go with 2x4 heavy wall perimeter frame and good crossmembers.

Allow for some adjustabilty in the rear end so you wont get tire rubbung after thngs settle out.

I took my wheelie bars off, when I took the slicks off. If I go back to slicks, I will probably put them back on.

good luck with the build.

john

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

lol my thoughts exactly!

13. Dad

Dad
    from Lena Ill

Thats when cars were cars and not bean cans!

14. I have been planning on contacting you, John, for some frame photos.

15. I'm building a new chassis. You can have the original stuff if you want it.

16. RichG

RichG

Found a Goodies Speed Shop sticker, but it was really grainy...when I blew it up and cleaned up the artifacts I found this:

[​IMG]

17. I think it's a good idea...

[​IMG]

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I love that quote!!

19. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

this will be cool. i want to build a 60 hardtop altered wheelbase someday ..

20. Just the rear springs. That's what the fellas used in the '60s when they coil mounted the old Ford front axles. I've been wanting to do one that way for a long time.

21. I'll let you know when I get it apart.

22. RatBone

RatBone

Thats real cool Willie! I didn't know you had a Corvair!

adam

23. This get's to my question a bit.
    "As the car is built with a uni-body, what kind of frame do you have planned?"
    Do you set it directly on a built chassis or cut it and drop it around the rails?
    Can't wait to see this as it progresses.

24. I'm gonna make it stupid-simple. Just slide a '47-'54 Chevy/GMC truck front axle and an S10 rear axle under there, and build a T-bucket type 2"x3" tubing frame that lines up with the shackles. I'll then use some body bushings and make brackets to bolt it to the existing front and rear uni-body sub-frames. I will also put in a simple six-point roll cage if necessary(I don't think you are required to have one unless you run under 12 seconds?). I am about to jack the car up and roll under there with a creeper and a measuring tape.

25. Smoke em' if you got em'!

First I thought it was a Rat motor! Love the trusty side kick!

26. The steering box is up in front of the front cross member. I believe '47-'54 truck has the tie rod in the rear, may need to shorten the steering shaft and relocate the box, or flip the spindles and mount the tie rod up front?

27. Screenz

Screenz
    from Texas city

Good job Richard see you at day of the drags 2033......maybe

28. Goofing around in the garage, got an axle from an AD Chevy truck and rolled it under there, I'll get down to business next week building a frame, and cutting out the trunk so I can fit the V8 up front. The engine will be 12" back and way lower, it's just sitting in what used to be the trunk.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyone need a Corvair front suspension? I have no idea what it's worth, but they used to be fairly popular with streetrodders. Four 9/16 bolts and it was out.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  29. Great Idea. Ralph Nader though should never have his name mentioned. He was and is and always will be an idiot. Sometimes people are actually what they look like. He is the poster boy for that.
    A friend here has a 65 with a small block and 2X4s with a ford 9 inch. He built it when younger and it has sat in his shop now untouched for 15 years . He no longer has any interest in Hot Rodding. Seemed a shame as I thought he was on a good build. He isnt attached to it either so someone could pry it loose.
    Don