Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Toy: '47 Olds 76

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justinpba, Nov 14, 2010.

1. justinpba

justinpba

Hi all, this isn't a build thread, it's more of me being stoked about the car I brought home last night and wanting to share! It's a 47 Olds 76 fastback. The body's straight as heck, even the floors look great! No motor or tranny, but my plans call for a Fatman front stub, 12 bolt rear, Olds 455/th400. I want stuff like good suspension and brakes so I feel comfortable putting my daughter in the back seat and knowing the car will stop when (not if but when) somebody cuts me off, but I plan on leaving the body and interior mostly stock (mostly). Of course none of this will happen until I finish the bike I'm building, but the deal was too good for me to pass on so I didn't. Here's the pics, let me know what you think!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

thinking it could be a real cool looking sedan! Keep us posted!:D

3. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

badass car, congrats. looking 4ward to the build progress wen it starts.
    goodluck!

4. hasty

hasty

5. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I love it. It is very similar to my '42 Chevy. I have an Olds 350 in mine, soon to be a 455. The engine fits easily, mine has a '74 Nova clip and rear end. The rear end was the perfect width for mine. Chassis engineering sells a bolt in front subframe that has adjustable ride height at least for the Chevy. Nice score and keep us posted.

6. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

nice that body style is bitchin

7. justinpba

justinpba

Thanks guys! I'm pumped. Those of you who have or have had these cars, I'll be posting a lot of questions like: "what goes here?" I think it's pretty complete minus the rear bumper, but under the hood there's not much there. Thanks again for all the responses.

8. lawman

lawman

Nice. Keep Posting. Tom (Tired Old Man)

9. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

Nice, glad your keeping it Olds powered too .
    have a look at 73-77 A body for donor suspension, usually cheap and handle real well plus easy to get repair pieces for . The 8.5 10blt that comes in them is just as strong as the over priced 12bolts too.

10. Orn

Orn

Congrats to your new toy. I love those Gm fastbacks.

11. sololobo

sololobo

As Orn just said, love those G.M. fastbacks. The grille looks very nice on that baby as well. Hope you leave some side trim on, just my 2 cents, love the orig trim! Good luck and super score on a very desirable ride. ~Sololobo~

12. INKed

INKed

Cool, congrats on your new toy....

13. justinpba

justinpba

Thanks again guys. 42 Chevy, is there a reason you're going with the 455 over the 350 (besides gobs of power)? I had a 350 in my '72 Cutlass a few years back and it ran really strong. Like I said I plan on a 455 but I'm open to a small block, unless it doesn't cut it. Orn and Sololobo, I hear you. I was looking for an Olds but open to a Buick when I found this one. I love the lines. I don't have any of the trim though, and don't feel like paying ridiculous prices on ebay for it, if I can find it. Besides the body being in really good shape, the grill and front bumper are pitted, but not cracked or broken anywhere so that was a definite strong point. Captain, I've thought about going the A-body route too, like Denise has, but everything's up in the air now. hanks again guys!

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a nice solid looking fastback. The 350R will push it just fine as I have had a bunch of them over the years starting with a then special ordered 69 Cutlass S and the last one transplanted from my 76 Sevelle into my 82 Cad Deville. I ran one in my 51 Merc for about 100 K miles after pulling a tired 350 Buick out of it.
    The 455 will get up and walk and talk though and would be great on those long road burning trips.

I'm not that big a fan of the 350 Buicks as the oil pump and filter tend to get right in the way when you are trying to put them in a lot of chassis. They run ok but that filter up front is almost always in the wrong spot during engine swaps.

15. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice looking car like the body style , should be a smooth ride

16. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I am only going to the 455 for the extra power. My 35o is fun to drive and pretty quick but I recently rode in a stock 455 car and that made my decision for me. It was surprisingly fast and that is what I want. I am selling my other cars and only keeping this one so I want it to be faster than the one I have to sell and the 455 is the easy way.

17. cheveey57

cheveey57

Glad you're not planning a chop, you can't beat the way she sits right now. Congrats, she'll be a beauty!

18. justinpba

justinpba

Thanks Guys! 42 Chevy, I'd like to see pics of your setup when you're done. I just saw you're from Baker City, I've got family there. Are you planning your swap this winter?

19. Gigantor

Gigantor

That is a sweet little sedan. I got a general question, is that what was referred to as a Sedanette? Someone offered their 47 Sedanette to me in trade and I'm trying to decipher just what that means (2 or 4 door?) fastback? what?
    Sorry to hijack, but I love the lines on these cars. Always have.

20. blucar

blucar

I picked up a very nice '49 Olds 88 2dr fast back in Rapid City SD in '07.. I had been looking for a '49-50 FB for many years.. I had a '50 88 in 1955.. it was very fast.
    I discarded the 303 and hydro in favor of a '79 Olds 350-350 out of a low mileage 4dr I picked up for salvage price, the old couple that had it thought it was time to buy a new economy car.
    You might want to rethink your plan to cut the frame and install and aftermarket front clip... Fatman does make an excellent unit, I have one under my '39 Plym connv. cpe.
    The Olds had very good suspension that can be upgraded very easily...
    I am converting my suspension to disk with 2" dropped spindles and a GM 605 steering gear. On the rear I intend to use the backing plates-brakes from the '79 on the '49 rear end... If my calculation are right the rear brake setup should fit just fine on the '49 differential.
    The later model "A" body differentials are a little wide for the '40-'54 GM cars. The early Camaro's ... 54-1/2" backing plate to backing plate... work better..
    I know guys that have used the 455 in '40-50 Olds cars.. the engine is a little large for the engine compartment. Of course the 455 will give you more bragging rights, however, the late model Olds 350 has a reputation of being a very good power plant.

21. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

cool Olds nice shape

22. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I am planning my 455 swap this winter. My car has a '74 Nova front clip and rear end, it drives awesome. I have taken it on some of our real twisty roads and it handles like a new car. The 350 Olds in it was pretty impressive, I took an old friend for a ride in it and he was very surprised by the power it had. I am only doing the 455 because it is an easy swap and I want to be able to outrun my '57 Chevy with a 327 and 4 speed and I couldn't quite do it without doing alot to the 350. The 455 should be as much power as the built 350 without having to rev it up as high. I will take pics as I do the swap and clean up the engine compartment and start my own thread. If you ever get over hear I would be glad to meet you. I love your Olds!

23. justinpba

justinpba

Gigantor: Yes, this is what is referred to as a sedanette. IMO, the lines of these cars can't be beat.
    Blucar: Who are you getting your parts from? It's been tough to find people who make anything for these cars. Also, aren't camaros leaf sprung in the rear? Wouldn't that create some issues?
    ZZ Iron: Thanks, I dig yours too.
    42 Chevy: Did you do the Nova swap? I'm looking forward to your build thread. It looks like maybe next summer we'll be up that way. I'll hit you up if that's the case.

24. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Yes, if you are up this way come check it out. I had the Nova clip done for me, I didn't trust my own welding on that. It fit real nice and drives great. The Olds has a coil spring rear, the Chevy had leafs.

25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Awesome car, definitely in the minority. I have a 46 Olds sedanette project and a friend here has a 47 Olds convertible project. Chevy parts so far don't fit, chassis is totally different, not top hat design. Spring pockets are built into chassis rail.

I've located lots of NOS parts but it has taken me years so far and $$$$$. My 46 was built in August 1945 :eek:. A bit of trivia, Olds
    [FONT=&quot] production ceased on[FONT=&quot] 5<sup>th</sup> February 1942 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]due to WW2 with [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Japan surrendering on 2<sup>nd</sup> [FONT=&quot]September 1945. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]P[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ost WW2 prod[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]uction [FONT=&quot]commenced on[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 15<sup>th</sup> October 1945[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]with a[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]United Auto Worker's strike preventing production from 21<sup>st</sup> [FONT=&quot]November 1945 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]to[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 1<sup>st</sup> April 1946.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]​