Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 Pontiac Ventura Tri-Power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c5rulz, Nov 14, 2010.

1. c5rulz

c5rulz

My 60 Pontiac Ventura has a standard 2 barrel carb.

I would like to put a tri-power set-up on it mostly for the "wow" factor. Any suggestions on availability and other mods that may be required. If that wouldn't be practical what about a 4 barrel set-up. thanks, c5rulz

2. Deuces

Deuces

I'd go with a 3x2 setup on your car.. Check out the local swap meets or ebay.. I sure you'll find a complete setup.

3. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

What motor do you have? 215, 326? Did you put in a 389 or a 455? Tri power will be too much for a stock motor, but the bigger ones will love it.

4. WQ59B

WQ59B

tanof- a '60 Ventura is a full-size (there was no intermediate in '60), and the only original motor for '60 is the 389.
    -- -- -- -- --
    The pre-'65 Tri-P tend to be a lil cheaper than the later set-ups, tho that doesn't mean you can expect to get one cheap. Intakes are affordable, its the carbs that set you back. I'd definitely go Tri-P if you could swing it.

5. lawman

lawman

Those carbs scream "Hot Rod". Go for it !!!!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

6. carbking

carbking

The only thing cheaper is the intake (less demand).

The 1959~1963 center can be used (although somewhat different, few know the difference) on 1964~1065.

The 1959~1963 ends may be used (again somewhat different, and few know the difference) on 1964~1966.

Add in all of the special vacuum parts NOT being reproduced, the large aircleaner NOT being reproduced, and several unique fittings NOT being reproduced; and complete early units can bring much more than the later units.

Jon.

7. As far as manifold interchange, you will need to find a 59 of '60 model. '61 started a different pattern.

8. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

As a 27 year member of the Pontiac-Oakland Club International and previous owner of several '60-'62 fullsize Pontiacs I can tell you that installing a Tri-Power unit on your car is very do-able. Assuming that your '60 has the original engine it will be a 389 cu.in. "WQ59B" is correct to a point in that a pre-'65 unit is required, however one from the '50s will NOT fit. Likewise if you have a 1970 400 cu.in. that doesn't mean that you are S.O.L. as there are different 3 styles.

Tri-Power units fit accordingly:
    1965 and up heads w/o E.G.R.
    1959 - 1964 heads
    1958 down

It should also be noted that Pontiac never had a "Big Block". All of the Pontiac V-8's from 1959 thru 1981 shared the same basic block design with minor changes throughout the years. This means that a 301, 326, 350, 389, 400, 421 and 455 are all basiclly the same. I am not saying that 455 heads can go on a 301, but they will fit a 326.

Getting back to your '60 Pontiac, if you want to go 100% correct, that will get costly. Parts are like hens-teeth, Parts like the vacuum canister that attaches to the inner fender and the linkage are not reproduced. However if you just wanted the Tri-Power look you don't need any vacuum parts and a mechanical linkage set-up can be fabricated or adapted from other models which are reproduced.
    Carbs, again if your going original are going to get expensive. However if originality is not an issue you can "fake" Tri-Power carbs with a little work as the carbs themselves are only Rochester 2GC models which are very easy to obtain.

As far as your engine handling it: Your engine is a 2bbl engine, the Tri-Power only runs on the center 2bbl carb unless you tromp on it and open the other two carbs. So in normal driving conditions you haven't changed a thing, your still running a 2bbl. If opening up the other two carbs are a concern you could install "block-off" plates under the outer carbs and just run on the center carb. As far as a performance standpoint goes, your engine has smaller valves and camshaft than a T.P. motor therefore wouldn't reap the full performance benefits without some other changes. However if looks are what you are after then Tri-Powers still have that "Ultimate Kool" factor.:cool:

9. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

My bad, I forgot about the full size Ventura. That is what you get for bring up so late. And I have owned three full size Pontiacs...go figure.

10. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

My old man recently found a 60 Super Duty tri power at a swap meet for 100 bucks. Had the big tri power air cleaner, all the carbs/linkages, and the dated 1960 SD intake. Stuff is still out there.

11. If he took that intake across state lines there is a room at levenworth for him. That was a steal, I've seen the iar cleaner go for 3 times that.

You can still find the 3 duece setup for them and like TK65's dad once in awhile you find a steal, uh deal. Expect to invest a grand in one before it runs easily. They do look cool its just a matter of how cool you want to look.

12. hotrodstude

hotrodstude

offy makes a tri-power intake for the 60 389.they were still avaible last time i checked

13. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

Either someone mis-read where the decimal point was OR someone got a HELL OF A DEAL!!!!!!:eek:

14. ganga

ganga

Good advice so far......the stock tri-power had a vacuum pot to run the secondaries so a big cam was not necessary, however, progressive linkage may be more sensitive when you jump on it. The motor responds well to mild cam upgrades and it would be well worth doing. The best place to find vintage Pontiac parts is POCI.org.... the international pontiac club.

15. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

Vacuum was used on automatic transmission cars and progressive mechanical linkage was used on manual transmission cars. Many people and Pontiac dealers would convert cars from vacuum to mechanical therefore you could go either way.

F.Y.I.: I am not certain that a non-P.O.C.I. member can freely go into the P.O.C.I. website. However yearly dues are only $35.00 for US residents and is well worth it!

16. carbking

carbking

I bet he didn't sleep a wink that night!!! ;):D

In the FWIW category, I have found no differences in the 1960 SD (actually, Pontiac called it "Heavy Duty" in 1960) manifold and the production manifold other than the casting number. And about the same number of HD manifolds as production manifolds. One difference I did find was the tripower with the HD manifold originally had aluminum fuel lines whereas the production in 1960 were steel. 1961 was the changeover from steel to aluminum for most plants.

Here is a link to a page on my website that might help you with identification:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Tripowerspecs.htm

Jon.

17. I put an edelbrock intake(P4B I think?) and a holley 750 vac sec on my 60 Ventura, which has an otherwise stock mid 70s 400 2 bbl motor in it. With no other changes yet, I have to run the stiffest vacuum spring to keep it from falling on its face when I floor it, but it knocked 1/4 mile times from 17.6 down to 16.4, a pretty drastic improvement. Now I have to resist the urge to get all hotrod on my otherwise nice cruiser.

Attached Files:

• fin.jpg
      fin.jpg
      File size:
      250.9 KB
      Views:

18. This info is not correct on manifold interchange. It is as I stated earlier.
    To elaborate further, Pontiac v-8 intake interchange is as follows.
    55-60
    61-64
    65-71
    72-79
    This refers to direct, bolt on interchange.

19. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

Well!!!!!!!
    I guess my 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ with its factory installed 400 cu.in. and a 1966 Tri-Power set up on 1972 455 cu.in. heads didn't work. Somebody should have told me this before I put all that work into it cause it sure ran like a "raped ape"!:p

20. Sir, respectfully, look at my post. I said 'direct interchange' and stand by my words.

IF you bolt a 66 tri power to your 77 400 engine directly, you will have a large exhaust leak coming out of your intake manifold on the right side. That is because Pontiac changed the size of the exhaust crossover in 1972. Using 72 and newer heads on a 65-71 intake will cause this exhaust leak on the intake maniifold. Thus, it is NOT a direct interchange.

You must know that unless someone else did the work for you.

On your aplication- Yes, it can fit, yes it can be made to work BUT, it does not directly interchange.

Facts are facts. I am not trying to have a pissing contest. Am trying to have the facts straight for those who do not know. Have owned over 800 Pontiacs 1955-1981, currently own 450 every year 1955-`1981. work with used parts, high end parts, racing parts daily.
    Does not make me god or know everything but, does make me very know much about these 1955-1981 Pontiacs that are near and dear to me.
    If my post is not correct, please show me. My direct experience show it so be absolutely factual. Not here for my ego, jusy to help out.

Further, you posted

"58 and down, 59-64" that is false information as well.

By the way, also am in POCI, 31 years now.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  21. carbking

carbking

Applecrates interchange years are correct.

One item that can sometimes get one in trouble is that the difference from 1960 to 1961 was in a water jacket hole.

Some of the aftermarket manufacturers such as Offenhauser would offer a manifold listed as fitting 1955~1964. These came with BOTH water jacket holes and expansion plugs to plug the unused holes.

Jon.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back to his original queston. That 60 Ventura with the 389 and a 3x2 setup with some nice chrome air filters with real filters in them would be the hot lick in my estimation. A four barrel on a high rise intake might run as well or better but doesn't have near the wow factor.

Thanks for the Info on the Pontiac parts mix and match Applekrate. That is good solid info that a lot of Tin Indian guys may be hunting for.

23. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

24. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

25. 61bone

61bone

The vacuum pot linkage is a little disconcerting. While the slow opening is all right as there is seldom any acceleration stumble, That extra second of throttle after you let off kinda gave me the willies. Mechanical linkage is much nicer.

26. They drive pretty damn nice with just the 2-barrel on it. And get decent fuel milage for a big old car.

I've sold stock, bare 4bbl intakes for the $100 -