Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in Black! rpu build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Apr 12, 2009.

1. I'm surprised to just now be coming across this thread. What an amazing build and what great documentation. I found the interior work particularly riveting...
    But seriously folks,... The seats are beautiful and the craftsmanship artful!

2. Nice!! Man I really want one of these!

3. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thank you everybody, I really appreciate! I am still excited today. I feel like a kid @ Christmas, who still can't believe that new toy is his :p

I also can't get used to seeing it all assembled in paint. It's been a LONG time since it looked like an actual car & not a pile of parts

Dan

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  4. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Bob, that was a little time consuming. Plus I had to mask EVERY inch off really carefully, since any white over spray would really show up on black:eek:

Plus, I am really picky about the way the seam between the cowl sides(black) & the firewall(white) would look, since a crooked line back in that seam would really show up, since white & black are SO far apart in color. I wanted it to look like the fire wall was painted white off of the car, & then put in.

To get the inside of the cowl sides masked in a good straight line, and used 3/4" blue tape. I cut it in 2" strips, since the cowl sides curve it would be real tough masking it in 1 piece.

Then I just slid the tape in between the cowl side & the firewall, sticking it to the cowl side. Went all the way from top to bottom, & ended up with a really good job, even if you really look back into the seam.

Then I had to mask the rest of the body off-top, underside, & interior:mad:. 5 hours of masking! Less than 1 hour of spraying white sealer & the paint :D.

Honestly though it is one of my favorite things about the car. Breaks up all the black real nice. And the gloss off-white really jumps off of the satin black. Also kind of highlights the motor a bit, & will tie in my interior & top color I think. I am anxious to see your firewall progress, really glad to see your roadster progress!

Dan

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

that lil hotrod is "Sassy!"

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

That five hours of masking was worth every minute, it really sets things off. I've spent five hours raking leaves, I'd rather say I was welding my firewall. The day isn't over, may light the torch.

7. jj mack

jj mack

Very Nice Dan...VERY nice!

JJ

8. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

one of my favorite builds of all time! Cant wait to see it on the cover of a magazine soon!

9. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Jeff, thanks man, I truly appreciate.

Bob, thanks bud. I am really happy I did that, it definitely broke up the black. So, did you fire up the welder??

Thank you JJ, it's getting there!

Thanks 35, means a lot. I would love to see a car in a mag, definitely something you dream about as a kid, and as an adult:p. Probably have a better chance if I painted it bright red haha

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Congrats. Nice to see alll the parts coming together. Sure looks sweet. Gary

11. striper

striper

See Dan, That's the difference between you and me. I thought about doing my firewall that way. That was how I wanted it. Then when I started and found out what a pain in the arse it was, I just masked the outside of the cowl lip and let the inside of the lip be white like the firewall. Compromise, compromise, compromise...that's me. Gotta say though, it didn't take long. :eek:

As my mate Martin would say, "I'm not quick, but I'm rough"

Pete

12. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

looking awesome dan ! gonna be a very sanitary ride , it's nice to see it finaly coming together and all those little details come together to make one clean statement ! tell your father thanks for the advice on headers too by the way ! looks like he has some nice rides of his own

13. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I see a whole new list of dream builders in my head....

Bass
    Aaron Grote
    Jim Sibley
    Rusty Buford
    Bobby Bleed
    Kiwi Kev
    HRCC Gang
    Scott (ScooterMcrad)
    Scotty (Chuckles)
    Dave Russ
    and now Dan

I'm sure I forgot someone.

Many can paint, weld or fab. Few can see it in their head. The rest of us just feel our way around and hope we get lucky.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  14. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Ain't that the truth Gary. It's also amazing how much room you pick up once all that stuff gets bolted on the car instead of scattered thru the garage. Thanks btw

Ah, I know what you mean, but too it becomes a matter of judging how much time you want ONE small part of the car to take. A happy compromise is needed sometimes.

I find it funny now that the car is getting all assembled. There are many parts that I spent a STUPID amount of time on. Many are about 99.99% unnoticeable now that the car is assembled:eek:

As I am slowly learning, sometimes good enough is good enough. Are you getting some miles racked up on your car Pete? Sure looks like a fun car to drive

Thanks db! Your rpu is REALLY looking great too man, you are getting really close. It is a good feeling, isn't it?

Hell, I don't know about that, but thanks! I would even settle for getting it featured in Cat Fancy magazine:D:D

Scotty, I don't really see it in my head, but I do hear voices though:p.
    I really appreciate, but honestly we all do the same. It's pretty cool when our pile of parts come together & take on a personality. Pretty rewarding for sure.

The one thing that I really wish that I could do is upholstery. But then I truly never would get a car done:eek:

Thanks again bud

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy crap!! I was gone for a couple of weeks so I missed this!!! WOW!!!! Looks like you will definitely be beating me to the road now! HAHA! Looks AWESOME, Dan!!!! This is really exciting!!

I love that all the fasteners "POP" like that!

Between you and Dave (Druss32), and a visit to Hot Rod Chassis & Cycle over my vacation, I feel completely re-charged and ready to go!

16. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

I can think of one that should be in your list.
    ever hear of Jimmy Benitas?

17. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

What makes a great car is the attention to detail.
    This RPU will be with the best of the best!

18. Wow Scotty, I just saw this. If you're talking about me, then that might be the nicest thing anyone's ever said about me. I sincerely appreciate the thought. It's quite an honor to be on that list with all those other accomplished builders. Really, I'm just a hack trying to figure things out as I go.:)

Sorry for the hijack Dan, but you're on the list too. The RPU is turning out awesome.

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whoa! What you said! I'm on there for some reason... :eek: I also noticed that almost everyone on the list has been building a project for a great deal of time... HAHA! Maybe it's more of a "sympathy list". HAHA! :rolleyes::p:D

20. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Scott,
    thanks man, I am pretty excited! We'll still race to get on the road:p
    I look @ all of your builds to keep me motivated. Seeing Dave's car driving was awesome. I gotta check out your progress Scott, I am a little outta the loop

Thank you Jim, I really appreciate

You deserve it Dave, your car is really looking great! Made my day watching your videos driving

21. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well I have some cool progress pics to share. I got the rpu back from the upholstery shop, & I am really happy! Got the top done, as well as the seats & floor mats. What a difference it made to me, I really am happy. The guy did a great job, I really like it!

The seats are surprisingly comfy! For carpet I chose black German square weave,
    & only did floor mats to cover the front. These will just snap out, easy to care for. They still need to flatten out a bit, they were rolled up in a bag:eek:

I am excited to see it come together. I also am anxious to get my aluminum interior panels put in, but I'll prolly put those in last, after everything is wired & done.

The top & seat color was a real good match for the wimbledon white firewall. It all photographs really bright white looking, but is really more of a cream look in real life.

Here's some pics for now, hope you like! Thanks for looking everybody

Dan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  22. solid

solid

It makes me feel happy...

23. Turned out great, good looking roof too. Have you driven round the block yet?

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Top looks great! I like the fact that you used Murphy fasteners, you don't see them often on a Hot Rod. Swing pedals also look great, think I'll steal that idea for my Roadster.

25. Just got caught up. Very nice.
    Not long and yourll be tearing up the highways!

26. Looks good Danny.................and a nice birthday present for yourself.;)

27. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

28. That's Dantastic!!!

29. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

lookin good man ! love the window treatment on the top !

30. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

How did I miss this thread? Seriously, 36 pages and the radar never went off? WTF?

Great thread and great rod. Really impressed. I just spent an hour reading this whole thing.

Congrats. You must be proud. Now drive it like you stole it!!

Andy L. Kaempfer
    St. Louis, MO