Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suggestions for garage equipment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BeeKay, Nov 14, 2010.

1. BeeKay

BeeKay

Hey guys,

Just finished reading the tech archive & I'm really itching to get moving on my own project, the restoration of a replica Pre-A Porsche Speedster (can't afford the real thing!)

Couple of queries for you, I've got all the general toolkit type tools (Spanners, socket sets, torque wrench, etc) but I want to spend a little money on a half decent garage fit-out.

I'm an seasoned amateur I suppose, I've re-built a couple of aircooled engines with great results and would be fairly confident about pulling a transmission, but I've never really done any fabrication or bodywork (although I want to learn how!)

I won't have very much welding to do (fibreglass body), so I was going to get a €200 MIG setup and a 150L air compressor - basically I was thinking of buying some cheap air tools, nibblers, grinders and so on.

If you were starting from scratch, with limited resources what would you consider essential toolage for your garage?

PS : I probably won't do much painting, but I'd like the capability to do it if/when I gather the skills - is 150L compressor too small?

Really looking forward to your learned replys...

Thanks,

BK

PPS Hi - first time post!

2. good floor jack, jack stands, creeper, drop light, and a refrigerator. to start.

3. pauls fords

pauls fords

Don't forget the beer for the frig,,,,lots of beer!!!!!

4. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

5. long island vic

long island vic

fire estingushers????? fans,,,,,unblocked side doors ,,, plenty of outlets

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

you don't need any tools, just bake some cookies and they will come

7. guinness i bet

8. indyjps

indyjps

look around for used older tools, not sure of the situation in your area but Ive found some very good deals, go to estate auctions, and farm sales. theyve got more character and were built to last 100 yrs.
    4 1/2 electric angle grinder is my favorite tool. If youve got a decent compressor air ratchets arent much $, if you havent purchased your welder yet get one with gas provisions, flux core wire makes shitty looking welds.

9. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Sturdy work bench, heavy vise, bench grinder with wire brush on one side for parts cleaning. Eye protection, ear muffs, first aide kit.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 150 liter compressor (about 40 gallons) might be a bit small if you need to use a big volume of air but should be ok for general use.
    The two pieces of stationary equipment that I find myself using all the time are my floor mounted drill press and the belt/disk sander that is on a stand.
    Buy the best drill press you can afford to buy as you will find yourself using it all the time once you have it.

11. Toner283

Toner283

Start with a couple of big fire extinguishers. Mount them in easy to find places that will not get blocked by anything. These will become the most important piece of equipment you own if it comes down to needing them. Kind of like lots of horsepower - I would rather have it and not need it than need it & not have it.

Like someone said, basic shop tools, a good jack, a set of jack stands (4), a creeper and a trouble light. Keep in mind that the jack stands are to support the vehicle with YOU under it so this is not a piece of equipment to cheap out on.

Then, an air compressor - the bigger the better.

For air tools, start with a good 1/2 inch impact & a 3/8 ratchet. Later, a 1/2 inch impact is also handy to have & a good pair of die grinders - a straight one & a 90º one. An air drill is also handy to have, I use mine all the time. I also have a 3/8 butterfly air gun - the rocker switch on top makes it easy to change directions when you need to. http://www.everyaircompressor.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-TL1017-CHP1703.html

Keep in mind that air tools like a die grinder, an orbital sander, a board sander, a belt sander all use copious amounts of air. That is where the big air compressor comes into play. The larger the tank on the unit the longer you can run an air tool before the compressor will kick back on.

An air tool I have found very handy is a Dynabrade Dynafile II. I use this thing a LOT. It is probably one of my most used air tools during any kind of fabrication.
    http://www.shoplet.com/Dynabrade-Dynafile-II-Abrasive-Belt-Machines-40320/SEPTLS41540320/spdv

Then, bit by bit add the extra tools that will make your life easier as you have funds & space. A drill press, a hydraulic press, an engine hoist (cherrypicker), an engine stand, a welder, a plasma cutter, etc.

There is no end to the cool tools you can add to your arsenal as you get your skills to the point where you can use bigger better tools.

Good luck & show us some pics of your shop when you get it outfitted.

12. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

BFH...Big F@C*K#N Hammer......Welcome

13. And how about that car? Saw a Porsche glass bodied convert this summer - fairly rare around here. Nice new build and it was sweeeeeet! Had a friend years back with an early 60's coupe. I had a BMW 2002 and we swapped out for a few days! Drove that tub bodied car to work a few times - had to make myself pull in the lot at work! Just wanted to keep GOING!!!!!!!!!
    Post some pics as you get started.......

14. how about a camera

15. hoodprop

hoodprop

BFH is the most important. And the beer.

16. crash11049

crash11049

lots of lights , never enough light

17. poveryflats

poveryflats
    from idaho

You need two floor jacks, assorted punches, several different hammers, double up on standard and metric sockets, two of each wrench size. Otherwise you waste a whole lot of time looking for whatever you need after you misplace it!

18. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

A drill press. MANDATORY.

Something else that will help greatly with fab work is a "multi-tool": a belt/disc sander attachment that mounts on your bench grinder. I use mine several times a week.

A huge vise mounted on a sturdy bench is also worth the investment.

-Brad

19. wolfex1

wolfex1

A good air compressor, don't cut corners on this one or you'll be disappointed. Get one that will carry the load of the tool that will consume the most air. If you plan on buying a sand/media blaster in the future, get the compressor that will handle the load. The compressor, when coupled with pneumatic tools, will be a real time and energy saving friend.

20. DMB

DMB

box of band-aids

21. A decent vernier(dial or digital).

22. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

-As for a welder, grab a Hobart Handler 187, 220v. GREAT welder
    -torch set
    -drill press and good, read: not chinese, drill bits. Get a set that has big bits too.
    -cordless shop light
    -good air compressor
    -4 1/2 inch grinder with thin (cutting) disks, flap wheel, wire wheel, thick disks
    -cheap TSC bandsaw, pretty fast... uuber handy
    -fridge and beer, Radio, Camera
    -good compressor, if you can, get a quiet one.
    -PARTS WASHER!!!

Pretty standard stuff,

Adam