Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures In A Nut Shell...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Anyone interested in the difference or demise of print just needs three copies of Rod and Custom back when Pat G brought it back, any 3...and compare them to any three under Jeff Tann...any three

The HAMB is the closest thing to the magic of the Pat G Rod and Customs for me....

I have a collection of early mags that were my Dads and I must have read them a million times, and those Rod and Customs of the late 80's were just like the ones I read as a kid.

I have an early 70's Hot Rod Annual with a great build up of Spence Murray's 36 Roasdter.

How to mount a 57 chevy rear with dual leafs without a kit..homemade headers for the AMC yes AMC engine.. etc

Being that I have a 36 I followed the 36 Ford build up in R&C by Jeff Tann...Why do we need to see articles replacing a whole tailpan for a few rust pinholes??? To show off the sheetmetl from XYZ...reading those articles as a kid and watching my Dad and his friend build their cars in the early 70's you can see how guys used magazines to get stuff done, or learn more about things.

When i was working on my car in the late 90's reading those mags almost made me want to quit...I needed all new suspension. frame, replacement this and that according to what I read in R&C and Street Rodder. Gone were the articles showing you how to use actual production parts to buld what you wanted it was all vendor, vendor , vendor.

You had to have disc brakes, a boxed new frame, independant suspension, repalce any bad metal with new or fibreglass, your fit and finish had to be spot on, etc etc etc.

Now no one wants to build crap, but sometimes an old car is an old car, and Ford was never particular about how his stuff fit anyway.

Look at the tech that floats here, pics of other cars, this is what people really need.

Sorry this post jumps around so much I'm on my first cup of coffee.

2. Weasel

Weasel

And how come your screen name is not in red?;)

3. monsterflake

monsterflake

yay!

1. the audience is there for the content. in print, online, or on tv.

2. advertisers pay to have access to that audience.

3. if the content is an advertisement, there's not gonna be an audience for very long.

all of the print industry is in trouble, but niche markets should be able to make money, but just not on the scale they used to.

4. monsterflake

monsterflake

ouch! :D

5. beatnik

beatnik

Screw Janet, You can love the HAMB or hate it, but when your building Hot Rods and your looking for tech your going to end up here no matter how you feel about it.

Do a google search on wishbones, lincoln brakes, buick drums, flatheads, tools or any host of other items and you end up here, Endsville.

6. Rodshop

Rodshop

Ryan- your video and lyrical references to Janet's "plight" are brilliant.

7. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Damn it Janet...

finally got a chance to watch the video... nicely done!

8. fuelmedia

fuelmedia
    from Clovis, Ca

The Jalopy Journal is a great place, keep up the good work Ryan. Don't worry about the magazines and there agenda, it's all about the bottom line no mater what the consequences.

9. fms427

fms427

Hey,Ryan - don't let it get you down.......

I've read magazines for MANY years, and have been on HAMB for several....If I had to choose, I'd choose HAMB.

But I don't - ain't it a great country! Can't we all just get along !:D

10. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

That which starts sweet ends bitter.

11. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

While i disagree with most everything janet commented about, I have noticed lately alot of members Thread bashing anyone who ask a question just for the hell of it.....I think that alot of people should know what they are talking about before they give their opinion on something......This site should be fun for everyone in our hobby, Not just the guys who has flat black paint, Wide whites and a flathead....

12. I liked your video! I think Janet just has some personal issues. Maybe "that time of the month" she'll get over it.

13. If you haven't watched the video yet, check it out. Janet can't disagree with that.

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

I should have read your first post more closely... Here I've been thinking Janet was actually the person's name. Hahaha.

15. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. That video is the coolest. Other than that I can't add a single thing that hasn't already been said.

16. the only reason i subscribe to a print magazine -is so i have something to read when i am in the bathroom

17. I was showing the video to my 16- and 19-year old sons. Having been to Bonneville last year, they really liked the scenes from the salt and the El Mirage dirt!

My younger son cracked me up with a comment at the 1:29 part of the video - he said sarcastically "wow, nice haircut" at the person in the shirt facing away, She turned toward the camera and my son said "Oh, hell, that's a chick! I thought that was just a bunch of guys at first!". Too funny!

My opinion is that if "Janet" can't understand the POSITIVE influence the HAMB has on hot rodding, and that hot rodding is way MORE than the content of those three magazines that were referred to; then "Janet" will always be stuck in his myopic little world. He thinks that since he is a part of the staff of one of those rags, HE is what should drive the hobby, not those of us that actually participate and enjoy, spending our money and trading stuff for parts, rather than spending the big $$$ with his advertisers for new stuff and the bling/billet silliness. Guess what? It is his loss, not ours.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  18. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

or wipe with...

19. Toner283

Toner283

I have to ask, what song is that at about 2:10 & who sings it? Been stuck in my head & I would like to get the whole song.

Still a cool video, I have watched it several times.

20. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Audioslave- Awesome song! Check out the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDMvN45sjo4&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2010
  21. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Janet says, My business model is a weapon of massive consumption. It's not my fault, it's how it's programmed to function.

22. RF

RF

Thanks Brer. My boss(es), however, hasn't launched any projectiles...at least not this time around.

23. Gsnickets

Gsnickets

it would be rather nice to know which mag editor sent that email.... putting a mag out of business by way of the HAMB would be kind of funny, for all the disrespectful shit that was thrown.

24. Gaters

Gaters

Ryan,

I'm glad you chimed back in too Ryan. There are some awfully talented people that work at those magazine working hard to put content together every month for their readers. I am one of those readers. I don't always like what they print or the amount or content of advertising in their magazines but that's the world of print magazines.

Some of the comments made on the HAMB about those magazines are misplaced and unfortunate but that is not at all your fault. It's got to be a tough position for Janet to see and read that your publication is being bashed in pubic, rightfully so or not. BUT I really don't understand how Janet thinks your stealing from them or how it is that they come to blame you. Total nonsense. I can agree with Janet to some extent that you may be standing on the shoulders of the founders and history of those magazines but hey pal your the next generation and you figured out how to "spread the gospel" for hot rod "hoodlums" around the globe. And you probably did it in record time. Janet's email to you provides some insight into the fact that they missed the boat and didn't understand the impact "some kid" would make on Hot Rodding as it stands today. Good on you.

I don't agree with what Janet in most regards. You don't deserve "her" rhetoric as she surely doesn't get what this place means to you, but what it means to us, which is ironic that they just don't get the power of the sword "they" are capable of wielding and you are. There is an emotional stake on both ends and the fact that a lot of HAMBers have responded in your defense and that of the HAMB is proof positive of the impact you've made.

Happy Hot Rodding and keep up the great work.

25. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it is in a nut shell, thanks for the video, the H.A.M.B. is great.

26. Maybe Janet will send a rebuttal, from the Ivory Tower.

27. man....things change, just when ya get comfy...just rearrange the pillow and get on with it. There's room...and a need... for print and non print. Some folks need one or the other, and some need both. There AINT room for bickering about it just because they compete for the same attention. Its when competing gets down to the level of mud slinging that bothers me. The HAMB, to me, is a place of respite and information and fun that helps me get through the day and to solve problems, be they hot rod related or human related. Plain and simple.:)

28. aceuh

aceuh

Oh yea...Awesome video Ryan. Just went back and watched it again.

29. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I've gone to lurker mode as I get a hell of a lot more accomplished this way. But this is too much. If nothing else, it's a good model of how this world will never get along.
    Anyway, the video IS incredibly well done and says it all when it comes to showing what a Utopian HAMB is all about. It's the editorial and the accompanying complaint letter that suck. Seems like an orchestrated stunt (I'm sure it's not, right?). Oh, I'm sure the letter is real but c'mon, everyone loves a good dog pile!
    "Here Janet, take this(!)...KAPOW" "GNASH" "BIFF"

Why is it both SIDES in this stale debate cannot co-exist. Oh wait, I know why...it's because some in either camp puff out there chest(s) and boast superiority. I always tell people to keep your head low (out of the line of fire) and just do what you do best and the rest will sort itself out. Well, there is one GIANT problem with my rationale...this line of thinking only works when everyone does the same (can't expect that, ....). Oh well, the same played out bitchfest goes on in EVERY ASPECT of human relations.
    I'll continue, as said in another post, to pick gems from many sources, print AND electronic included. Wow, now how Utopian is that?!

30. Gaters

Gaters

Oh...I stole your video.