Register now to get rid of these ads!

Focus.......OOOH thats a nice one......Nope FOCUS!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pensive Scribe, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Here's a problem, that Im learning, isn't unique to me. Many of us can't be happy with one project. Why? Logic dictates that you can only drive one at a time. As long as we live we cannot possibly save every car we care for or "discover".

I thought finding my dream car would solve this delema, but surfing around the HAMB and seeing all the different choice rides! Gets the juices flowing.

You guys out there who have your rides on the road, or with finished cars, help us garage shut ins, or focus challenged gearheads. Share your wisdom with us.

Sincerely, TOO MANY CARS FOR A LIFE TIME.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Some guys say the same things about girls!

3. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

I think it is the excitement of a new challange Vs. the grind of staying on task with the current one. i sometimes wonder why i don't just spend 90% of the time spent looking at cars for sale working on what I have.
    maybe that can be a goal for the winter, unless i see someting really cool.....

4. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

your name isn`t Alfred is it?

5. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

alfred who ?
    "and the bowtie rolls on"

6. No I'm Doug. As in "Doug myself too deep".

7. Markgyver

Markgyver

My wife keeps asking me when Im going to trade her for a different model. Because Im never satisfied with the car I have.

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for making me the loser of a bet on this very subject.:( I bet a fellow HAMber the subject wouldn't come up again for at least a month but here we go again.......................and it's been less than a week.
    Come on guys try and come up with something new to discuss for a change..................some of these subjects are really starting to wear a little thin.

I KNOW........................HOW ABOUT AN INDEPTH DISCUSSION ON WHY PEOPLE REFUSE TO SELL CARS THAT HAVE BEEN SITTING FOR YEARS? That one hasn't come up for over 7-8 hours:rolleyes::eek: (seems like 15 minutes)

Frank

9. Wow!! I never knew! I haven't been on here long enough to realize it is such an overworked thread that wiser ones who've gone before us have beaten to death. Guess I'll sit hear in awe of the wisdom that has been shared. I feel driven to go ponder my big error and see if I can get my live back on track. May this thread RIP. Sorry for the offense.

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Hey Pensive, don't sweat it, this can be a rough crowd sometimes.

11. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

How do I focus on one car? Easy. Not enough money for two.

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

hey pensive , its all good . Iam gittin ready to start one about why people won't sell the yard art .

13. gotta have thick skin and a very good sense of humor on here (yours and others) sometimes. Hang in there

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Automotive ADD. So I am supposed to be working on my Chevy II. Been sitting on a little(very little) cash earmarked for putting a new floor pan in my Chevy II. AFTER I finish my Chevy II, and get the blown(up) FE back together to put back in my Falcon, I was planning(which is why I FINALLY joined up here after lurking for about a decade) to build a circa '66-'68 style glass Model A highboy using the 289 that was originally in my Falcon. I like to plan ahead, and have a car pretty well completely planned in every detail in my mind before I start buying stuff, as it saves money in the long run. So, after much thought, ONE of the things I sussed out was that I wanted an aluminum corvair box, and '63 Corvair taillights, ala the Baker '29 that was in R&C in the early seventies. So I start talking to a couple of close internet buddies about this, just bsing really, one of them pipes up "hey, I know where you can get that stuff!" Havent run across anything I need for the chevy II in a few months, so I figure "what the hell, that stuff doesnt grow on trees, better grab it". So I do. Not even 24 hrs later, a buddy tells me, he has a mint rear bumper for my Chevy II (I have been looking for one for months!), and there is a new pass, side replacement floor pan on the local Craigslist for a bargain price. Ok, great, so I snipe that stuff, now the kitty is getting pretty low. The next day, another buddy calls me, he has some more Chevy II parts I need! Where the hell was all this stuff before I started buying all this Corvair crap for a project I wont even be STARTING for a year or more!!

15. You guys are encouraging. thanks for the support. I was actually being diplomatic in my reply, tongue in cheek, I don't come here to argue weather topics are or are not beaten to death. I don't come to make enemies but like anywhere else it happens. fab32 has legitimate points I hold nothing against him for his opinion. All these threads are jump in if you have something relevent to say. He has a right to express his view. That is how he chose to respond. I think the heart of my question is how do some guys keep their priorities in line when the call of another challenge is begging for their attention, not why do I collect. I know why I collect, my need is for a reason to learn to focus. I am serious about my problem I need a way to focus. Peace.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  16. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Hey.... I got he same problem big time. Too many projects for a life time. Must be something with the name:)

Doug

17. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Maybe you haven't found THE project yet---I think you'll focus when you do. just my 2 cents.

18. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Or mabye start a thread on how close the older member thread police watch every thread , since they know all of them by heart , and evedently have NOTHING to do to thier car , or its already done , and bust balls every time a new guy posts some thing that was dicussed in the last month !! Seems to me , as long as this site has been here , I think it would be a sure bet that everything that can possibly be dicussed about "traditional" , or anything else positive or negative has been discussed at least twice , if not more , let hte guy ask his questions , I would bet , that everyone on here at one time , was an FNG . help the guy out , If I can help him , I will , that is what makes the car world good , rant over......:D

19. concreteman

concreteman

Its also a free Country - Thank God its not run by Frank :p

20. TheWrenchbender

TheWrenchbender
    from Belton SC

Sounds like you're a real TRUE car guy to the bone, and this is how we all learn about these wonderful old rides.

Back on the main topic some one else already said it but I'll repeat it:: It's easy to FOCUS on just one at a time when FUNDS are tight as mine. :eek:

21. I agree!! Our whole life is doing things over (or to death) Movie remakes, the same holidays every year, having children, same car shows, same weekly cruise nights....the same things over and over. Heck, whats wrong with hearing another barn find story?? a new guy just found his dream car? I have another project..how did you fix this....It goes on forever!!! and so could I, so I'll stop.

I say keep the questions and threads coming...and if you don't want to read it? go to the next one and keep your mouth shut.....IMHO

Murph

22. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Yea , it just makes you wonder if someone just goes to every post , then does a search on it , then goes back to the post to bitch about someone else beating one topic to death , I dont want to sound like a gripe ass , so , I wont comment on that topic anymore...lmao I'll try to get back on topic now....:D

23. historynw

historynw

I'm always dreaming & kicking the tires on the internet. I thinks its an addiction.

24. It was lack of funds that got me into this mess. I'd find a cheap of free car and "tuck" it away to make a profit later, for when I needed money to go into the main project. I'd have a car for a bit then see one fixed up and began to see potential in everything I had.

Some of the cars were to fix then sell, then I'd like how they turned out and got attached to them.

I'm not a specific make freek like others, I like anything with wheels. I appreciate so many different styles and models that I used to get excited about something I'd see, or someone elses ideas, that I'd want to keep a car around because I might fix it up like that some day.

It got to the point that I'd see more value in keeping a car than selling it off to someone else.

I bought my dream car a year and a half ago and thought it would give me the strength to sell off stale projects. Then I found the hamb and I've noticed the same cycle beginning to happen again. I thought maybe I could find a cure on here somewhere. Thus the question how do others do it?

Maybe I should start all my posts off with; "my name is Doug, and I'm an addict".

25. Hey! I think I found a new signature!

26. 33SatinCoupe

33SatinCoupe

Obsessive compulsive disorder.

I have it myself and it comes in handy when your building cars. It gives you the opportunity to obsess on the details. (if you can get it finished before your mind wanders off on to something else) :)

The answer is, if your on the internet, search for threads that have something to do with what your building, get hopped up on it again and get back out in the garage.

And stay off the for sale section. :)

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Get over yourself for crying out loud !

28. So far I've managed to stay away from the classifieds, but I've been tempted to list stuff. I know just doing that is going to be trouble.

29. 33SatinCoupe

33SatinCoupe

Id have no problem focusing on that coupe in your avatar. That has some serious potential as a tail dragger with some fender skirts. Spring is right around the corner.

30. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Hey Doug,

I understand where you're comin' from...though not on the same scale. I learned the art of "wheeling and dealing" from my parents and grandparents. Up until maybe 2 years ago, I had a substantial stash of parts for my projects...and projects. Well things went south economically, as always happens, and not having a job for the past 3 years or so didn't help matters. Well in a matter of a few months all of those little "hopes and dreams" and "I'm gonna use this" objects managed to pay bills...barely, even still. Thing is, I still find it hard to focus and prioritize. Even so late as last week, I'd gone to a swap to set up and get my head above water. I hadn't walked around ALL DAY and then just as things were wrapping up, I figured I'd see what I "couldn't afford" (you know, 'cause if it's still there at the end of the day...you can't afford it). Well then I found this...

[​IMG]

...and now I have to buy all of the stuff I have sold all over again, at prices that don't come close to what I had to sacrifice it at.

I know I didn't HAVE to buy the '50, but it is a car that I've always wanted to do "my" way. Plus the guy let me use HIS trailer at no cost to haul it about 30 miles to my house, and he followed me so I didn't have to make the trip back!

You sound like you're in a fortunate situation and to answer your question of "How do we do it?", well that is simple AND complex. I think of it this way: Scientists have no real idea why it is we sleep, even still, why it is we dream. But without sleep we, as humans, can't live...and everyone dreams while they sleep. So as long as we must sleep, we must dream. Such is life.

Or at least that's my take.