Register now to get rid of these ads!

'62 Chrysler trans pushbuttons are stuck, help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Squablow

Squablow

Just brought home a '62 Newport and there is a shifter issue. Basically, right now R and D are stuck in and won't pop out. When I push the 1 or 2 button it goes into gear and will drive forward, but I can't access R, although it caught reverse and I was able to drive it off my trailer when I pushed in the N button.

Here's a pic, you can see that the R and D buttons never pop back out, even when you push in the N button.

[​IMG]

Anyone know what the issue might be? If it's a cable adjustment, would that account for the stuck pushbuttons? Any good tech articles on adjusting these? I've been searching around but I can't seem to find the info I need.

Also, what the hell is that lever right below the buttons? The one that says L and R on it? Did '62 Chryslers have park on them?

Here's a pic, just for the hell of it, even though it's too dark for a good picture

[​IMG]

And another of the coolest dash ever, which I'm thrilled to learn still lights up.

[​IMG]

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd suspect that the stuck buttons are due to something sticking in the push button mechanism rather than a cable adjustment. There are a lot of springs, latches and sliding things inside that mechanism. I'd remove the cover, and shoot some WD-40 or something into the mechanism and see if it'll free up a bit.

Those electroluminescent dashes are the cats ass, aren't they? I had a 67 Charger with that type of lighting. Even the needles on the gauges were coated and lit up. Note that there is a DC-AC inverter under the dash which lights up that ceramic coating, and it generates about 225 volts AC at about 250 Hz. It can bite yer ass if you're reaching around under the dash with the lights on.

My 64 had a park lever, but it sure didn't have the L/R on it. Is it for adjusting mirrors, or maybe to open vents? Does it seem like it's connected to a cable, or a switch?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  3. Weasel

Weasel

Had the same problem on my '58 - squirted some Kroil around the push buttons and let it soak overnight - all was well and the sun was shining next morning.

I have had one of those dash pods sitting on my desk for years just because they are so uebercool....

4. gsp392

gsp392

I had a JoHan model of a '62 years ago. I always loved those headlights.

5. southsider

southsider
    from Pella, IA

I have had the same problem on my '60 New Yorker a couple of times. Both times, it was bound up on the cover. Use an allen wrench to remove the cover, and it popped back out. The L/R lever is the turn signal switch.

And yes the lighted gauges are awesome and it will curl your hair if you are in the ground path!

6. southsider

southsider
    from Pella, IA

... and park is the emergency brake on the transmission tailshaft.

7. Big Dad

Big Dad

Could be stuck in several place

Like above says, figure out is its the buttons first

I could be the cable to easy enough

8. das858

das858

I had the same problem on a 1964 Dodge, w-d 40 cured it. Kroil is even better.

9. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

You might want to search the Forward Look and Imperial club sites for any discussion there or tech tips regarding same.