Register now to get rid of these ads!

Picked up my Citroen C4 at the weekend...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim G, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Tim G

Tim G

Had a quick 1700+ mile road trip to Grenoble in France last weekend to pick up this 1929 Citroen C4 Boulangere(Bread van). it's in really good shape overall, last change of owner was in 2001 when it was transfered from the original owners name to his sons name. i have plans for it, they are fairly subtle... lowered, satin paint, sign writing etc... but we all know how plans can change :)

Motor will stay as it is for the time being but one day in the distant future i think i'd like to fit one of the French built flathead V8 motors and upgrade the rest of the running gear to suit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Neat truck although the seat doesn't look very comfortable for long distance driving.

What is in it now for a power train??

3. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I might lower the front by an inch or two but other than some "bread" type of lettering, there's not alot that I would change.

Vey cool!

4. Tim G

Tim G

No it's a little on the upright side of things!

it has a 1623cc flathead 4 with 3 speed box.

5. Neat little truck. I wonder what it was used for during the War? If it could talk........

6. Tim G

Tim G

Here'sa pic of the engine and a crap shot of the interior...

Steering wheel was powder coated black originally but that's peeling off nicely to reveal a nice wood rim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

That's WAY cool.

8. Tim G

Tim G

As you mentioned that...

On the way back up from Grenoble we stopped at my friends house up in the hills in the Charolais region of France. this was a strong area of the French resistance in the second world war and his house(in the photo below) which was owned by a wealthy Chateau family at the time and was used as a weapons hide for the resistance. the trucks original owners farm was 40km away, who knows what it transported :)

[​IMG]

9. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Had never heard of a Citroen C4. Wow, quite cool in many ways. Nice score
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I used to see lots of the sedan versions of those sticking out of farm buildings all over in the early '70's...some had a neat body style which was sedan with an opening sedan delivery type rear door, presumably a farmer special. Even found a derelict traction avant cabrio in one place, a very rare and nifty looking car. French junkyards in those days were wonderful, full of bits of very old stuff, but nearly impossible to get into...locals just couldn't get the idea of a tourist/gibbering foreigner wanting to roam around piles of scrap!

11. That's pretty cool. When I saw the thread title, I figured some lame ass Flying Iron Citroen, but this thing is awesome

12. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Nice score...........

love the dash...

13. Tim G

Tim G

there has been another (but open back)truck for sale in the Uk for a while now, i heard recently that it got fire damaged and just found this pic while searching images on the internet... what a damn shame!! :(

[​IMG]

14. wow! don't think I'd change much. like it just the way it sits.

15. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

I like this shot as it could have been taken over 50 years ago vs. last week... Timeless...

[​IMG]

16. Looks like a very complete and solid example to start a project with. But are you sure it's really a Citroen? I mean, it's just so... well, it looks... you know, it's so... conventional looking! :confused: Love the instrument cluster. :cool:

Looks like an awfully long hood to cover that little 4 cylinder. I'm starting to think this truck is actually about 3/4 of the size that I originally thought. Great find!

17. Tim G

Tim G

I reckon it's about the same size as a model A, they also did a straight 6 motor in the heavier load trucks, i think that's why the hood is so long... there's a lot of room between the front of the 4 and the radiator.

here's another pic of it next to the Chevy half ton, may give you a better idea of the size...

[​IMG]

18. wow, who would have thought a Citroen could be so cool.
    awesome hot rod material.

19. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tim,

Great lookin Citroen!

There's a 1920 Citroen Type A 2dr. for sale on French Ebay rightnow. I couldn't begin to figger what it would cost to put that thing in a container and ship it to California.

your C4 look like fun!

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

20. WOW! That is very cool. I am assuming it runs and drives? A French flathead V8 is a great idea for the power plant. Keep us updated on your build! I had a Citroen ID19 back in the '70s, a strange but well engineered car.

21. Wow, it's amazing how much that truck looks like a Model A!

It looks like it is in real decent shape. Nice score!

22. blitz

blitz

man that thing is cool. i would have a hard time digging into it after i got it running, looks like it would be to fun to drive around that country side you have. have fun with it.

23. Tim G

Tim G

It runs but i'm finding it's oiling up number 3 plug, i reckon i'm going to drop a new set of rings in and see how it runs then, i'm not in a rush to go swapping engines... i don't need anymore major projects right now.

24. blitz

blitz

yea i bet it will be a lot of fun to work on. like a model a, they are so simple but work so well. get it running like a top and have yourself a little french jaloply.

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Watch out mate,any time anyone points a radar gun at it, it will stall out and surrender!

Paul

26. Tiki God

Tiki God

27. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Hi guys
    Try this:
    Open this site: www.anciennes.net
    Left menu click "Consulter"
    New page, under "Automobiles" click "Ventes Auto"
    New page, select in drop down menu: "Anneé entre": 1928 and "et": 1940.
    Click "Filtrer"
    Browse through the stuff and enjoy . . . . lots of cool stuff :)

28. Tim G

Tim G

Whipped the head off tonight, bores look ok, hopefully just a broken ring causing the oiling...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Nice truck and if you know of any 34 traction citroen parts ,Pm me

30. nali

nali

Finally here it is :)
    It seems in good shape !!!
    I hope you enjoyed Grenoble , it s a nice place . I will never forget the sun rising in the morning in the Vercors when I was a bus driver ...
    Just an idea , have you ever seen a 404 Peugeot rear axle ? It s a nice piece of aluminium , looking quite like a quick change ...
    Suscribed , I want to see what will happen now ..
    Good luck Tim .