Register now to get rid of these ads!

scary steering joint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pq55, Nov 11, 2010.

1. pq55

pq55

I had to work on this 38 Nash to remove the sunroof and doing the tailpan and while inspecting the car i found two socket joint welded in the steering shaft, the new owner told me the car was built in the 70 and could explain the scary stuff.The car will be totally rebuilt once i'm done with it.I hope they will replace the wheel also.:eek:

Pat

Attached Files:

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

don't worry, it won't hurt anything when it falls apart. being able to steer is over rated.

3. BJR

BJR

If it's a Craftsman it's got a lifetime guarantee. If you die cause it broke, I guess your lifetime is over though. Always a loophole.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

funny how it lasted somewhere close to 30 years, no im not saying that it makes it right, just an observation

5. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

A Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha---------Haha ha--------haaaaaaa! A Proto and a 3/8 rod coupling, classic! HaHa, this is like a what not to do course. It's fully covered.

6. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Proto is good shit

7. Now, with a proper suspension/steering box set up, how much torque do those joints actually get? I'm pretty sure my 600ft lb air gun does more than they should - and i have yet to brake a joint...

not saying its right either, just for consideration.

8. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Well, I know those rod couplings fail if you hang a 400 pound gas pipe off of them overnight, sounds like a bomb went off when a 400 pound gas pipe hits the floor at 2 AM, I can't really elaborate much as to how I may know this, you might have to trust me on this one.

9. 73super

73super

Hmmmmmmm....... I think I like this. I've got a couple of those joints sitting in my toolbox right now!

10. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I am reluctant to admit that when I was in my teens I stick welded in a 3/4 drive, 3/4" impact universal in the steering shaft of a car I built. At least I used a Snap-On socket!:rolleyes: It didn't bother me much until I learned enough to understand all the reasons why it was a bad idea. I guess that's covered by the phrase "ignorance is bliss".

It's not uncommon to find scary steering on cars that were otherwise done pretty well. I have fixed quite a few, all of them worse than the car pictured. I'm not sure whether it's because people don't know any better, don't want to invest the effort to do it right, or don't want to spend the money.

11. bryan6902

bryan6902

I could see this happening in the 70's, maybe the builder figured this was the best he could do to solve a problem. And it has held up this long.... Curious to see how long the owner ignores this and continues on with the body work. So did they drill an additional hole in the steering knuckle for clearance or to make it harder to steer? I've never seen that before.

12. rainh8r

rainh8r

I saw an MGB with a small block Ford in it back in 80-81 that used the same Craftsman wobble socket steering joint. The car was very nice except for that, so maybe some magazine was promoting that at the time. Very scary, as I've broken them with a 3/8 ratchet and a tight bolt.

13. And the worse part is it looks like they were out of phase.:D

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's one, shown next to the replacement, that I found in an FJ40 Land Cruiser:
    [​IMG]
    The customer complained about the steering being a little vague. It was u-joint, to a rag joint, to a telescoping section, to a wobble joint, to another u-joint.

Added bonus: NO SUPPORT BEARINGS!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  15. Spity

Spity

9 out of 10 of us are thinking thats fucking scary. The other guy just figured out how to get the wheels turning on his project without an expensive borg joint.

Natural selection will sort 'em out.

16. was the steering power? might explain it's duration! it does look out of phase. remember when the pinto steering cables were the solution? Borgeson... wonder how many disasters they prevented.

17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is likely the original steering arm/spindle. One of the holes is for the tie rod to the steering sector, the other is for the tie rod to the other steering arm/spindle. Very common on cross-steer setups. This appears to have been converted to a rack and pinion, so the "extra" hole isn't required.

My question pertains to the 4th picture as well. What is that spring hooked over the carriage bolt for?

18. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Wow.

19. pq55

pq55

Attached Files:

20. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

This has been posted before but is always good for a guffaw.

Attached Files:

21. Interesting the people who state that the car lasted a long time in it's current configuration.

But no one said it was ever driven far...

Cosmo

22. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I bet you couldn’t break that if you tried (w the steerin wheel)

I just replaced a broke Bogason on my boss’s hoped up 4x4 (there’s really not much to them)

23. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Safer? (rubber w some cords)

[​IMG]

OEM for many years

24. toddc

toddc

See the steel pins? They do the work. Safer by far.

25. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Really
    Glad you pointed that out....I feel much better.
    [​IMG]

26. bryan6902

bryan6902

Thanks for the explanation, I see this everyday on Jeeps, guess I'm just not used to seeing it here!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

27. barry wny

barry wny

I would wonder about the driveline mounting, probably a lot of little stuff wrong like the front blinkers. Tall sidewalls on traditional wheels, trim rings & cool caps. It's a beautiful coupe, lots of nice parts, just need's to be sorted out. Hate Foosish wheels, belong on something like a Cobalt (someone else's) IMO

28. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

No problem. Just keep it under 100.

man that is trouble. I had the D.S. tie rod end break on time on a ford pickup doing about 35. Man I had my hands full trying to keep it on the road. I can not even think of what would happen it that broke.

29. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

30. flatheadhero

flatheadhero
    from California

At least the joint is traditional, as in "traditionally stupid"