Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Recommendation for Essex seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmarx, Nov 10, 2010.

1. dmarx

dmarx
    from Michigan

All right, we americans have big butt's, every seat I have looked at in the junk yars are 20 inches wide. I need 2 seats that will be no wider that 37 inches for my '28 Essex. Any recommendations.

2. Not sure if you can find any, but I recall the Chevy Monza had some damn narrow seats...

3. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Not sure of width, but mg midget or ah sprite, especially the early 60s ones.

4. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

chances are if you're not going to a vintage junkyard everything you find is going to be 20" - 24" wide. Your best bet is trying to find what i've always known as a "jump seat". Came in a lot of vans, coe trucks, ect. just a simple hoop frame and springs or foam, no recline, usually no sliders, but they are generally 18" wide. They look at home in an early car too. I'll see if I can find a pic.

edit:[​IMG]

this is a Wise seat for a boat its 18 1/2" wide similar to the style i was talking about but with an exposed hinge for folding down.

They are about $75 a piece which is pretty reasonable for a new seat.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

5. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Here is another from wise that is more what i was thinking of and a bit more stylish
    [​IMG]

6. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

7. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

What about Miata or S2000 seats? I would think they would be on the small side. It would take some work to make them look at home, but I think most late models would.

8. poorman

poorman
    from cleveland

pm me tomorrow i may have the seats you need i will measure and get pics in the morning

poorman

9. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

My Essex had Pinto high-back buckets in it when I got it. They fit fairly well. I replaced them with a bench from a Dodge Caravan.
    [​IMG]