Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Thinkin about switchen wheels on the 32 any suggestions??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roadsterpilot, Nov 10, 2010.

1. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Been thinkin about swithin the wheels on the roadster but cant decide which way to go, I currently have 15s all the way around, but have considered the tall skinny 16s, or five spokes, maybe wires, or even salt flats............Any suggestions?

Photoshops would be great, just wanting to change it around a little.

Attached Files:

2. F&J

F&J

Just my opinion on what you have now with the first glimpse...

The rears are too "puffy". The fronts look way too skinny and too short. Because the 32 bodies are beefier than an A, I always thought the smaller fronts never looked too good on 32's.

That car is slick. I think flashy wheels might detract from the good looks it has going.

3. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Kelsey 40 spokes powder coated black , 500 X 16 cycle tires in front and 750 Firestones in back . Maybe some hood sides with blisters if it needs them (sorry , it's a nice car )

4. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Can't beat the look of painted wires IMHO

Attached Files:

5. pro85fiero

pro85fiero
    BANNED

I couldn't agree more!
    However, this is a matter of personal preference and it is your car.
    But if it were me I would go with original style spokes painted either red or the color of your interior and ditch the huge baloneys in the back.
    Whatever way you go you still have a very nice car there!:cool:

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Wires are the way to go......................

7. low-lincoln

low-lincoln

Painted wire wheel in tan like the top or the deep maroon/red color used in the "88".

8. hartmankustomz

hartmankustomz

I agree

9. turdytoo

turdytoo

Lots of times a person would go to the junkyard and buy the wheels and tires off a wreck because they were cheaper. During and right after WWII usable tires were hard to get. Ever notice lots of early rods had oem pinstripped wheels and colors that didn't go with the car? Just a little BS to add into your choices.

10. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

These are early pictures when I first finished the car, I will add a pic of the hoodsides, with blisters.

I like the wires myself, Im just nervous about run out, I drive this car ALOT. I had considered either wires or gennies beige or red brown like the numbers.

Attached Files:

11. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Great minds think alike !

12. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Very attractive car so I hesitate to offer, but since you asked. I think 16" steelies with 700-750 rear, 550 fronts and your caps and beauty rims in either black or creme would look nice. I would be hesitant to run wires with the available torque of that power plant.

13. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Bitch'n hot rod. Before spending a bunch of money on wheels, I would squirt a little paint on the wheels already on the car. Either of the colors you mentioned (beige or red-brown) would work. You might also consider Moon disks.

If you want to change the whole kit, consider ET five spokes. I'd go with 15 x 5 (165R-15) up front, and 16 x 8 (P245/75R16) out back. I prefer the grey painted/machined rim look, but polished would be cool, as well.

There are several combinations that would work, and the decision is yours alone. Let us know what you decide.

14. wizzard23

wizzard23

pm bscottstudio and ask him what he's runnin' on his red roadster. I know they are tall, skinny 16's that he got from Diamondback. He,s got them on beige steelys that would match your top. Imo they would look great on your car too.

15. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

heres what 16" wide 5s with 700.16s and 5.50.16s looks like on my car. I agree that tyres shorter than 5.50 on a highboy can look a little small.

[​IMG]

16. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Here's my old 32 , I thought the 500's and 750's looked pretty good . I still like 46 Merc hubcaps also , now reproduced .

P.S. Lowsquires roadster is bitchen' !!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  17. Whatever you do, stay away from the Salt Flats. They look cheap.

JH

18. Whatever you decide, think about cheater slicks for it;).
    Either way, I'd change the tires on your car before the wheels. I'm not crazy about the ride of some bias tires, but they're a must on fenderless cars

19. big bad john

big bad john

.......Wires wheels never go out of style

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd save the money and just put some ribbed trim rings on what you have now.

21. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

7.00x16" on 16"x4 1/2" rim and 4.50/4.75x16" on 16"x4" rim; all blackwalls..Firestones... Cool roadster by the way......

22. oldpaint

oldpaint

I've always liked this look. The American Racing Ds have been around since 1956.

Attached Files:

23. personally i'd go for wires, i'd go even further to say 17"s up front and 16s out back with 750's. in dark marron, with the hood on would look perfect

24. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Charcoal gray spokes. When painted black the whole look of the spokes almost disappears.

25. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Id go with a 16" steel wheel and some tall skinny tires or some sort of mags, like the torque-thrust. To me , the engine choice you have puts the car a little too modern for wires. If it had a flathead or a really early OHV I'd be ok with wires. It is a really nice car by the way.

26. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

These are kinda cool and different from Ralley America in Fresno, CA(wheelkid on the hamb) I think you have to run a KH wire wheel behind in order for wheel cover to snap under cap.

Attached Files:

27. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Yep those covers are sweet, if I was going to run wires Id use those covers, check out Kevin Lee here on the Hamb he sells them too.

28. Whether you do wires or solid steelies, this is the tire combo that would look good.

29. This car had wires @ one time ..then switched to wide 5's...Won a Best Traditional award @ this past GG Charlotte..

Attached Files:

30. Ebert

Ebert

Great car! I like the black 16" 40 Ford steelies and Firestones...750s or 700s on the rear and 560s or 600s in front. You can have some fun with those...you can interchange caps, rings, caps/no rings, no caps with rings or go naked. Also, check out the latest Rodders Journal with the green 32 Vicky....Halibrand Indy wheels front and back would work with your race theme. Also, the latest Raybestos RPU giveaway car has some cool Indy wheels that I think would work for you. I think Josh got those at Intro Wheels....bitchin.

I LOVE wires, but as a previous poster pointed out, your motor may not allow things to "flow" period wise.

You have a great car...have fun!!!!