Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cruiserliner Ventiports

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mixerville, Nov 6, 2010.

1. mixerville

mixerville

Hello. I'm looking for some information.

In the 70's a friend of mine had a 58' Buick. He wrote a letter to the company inquiring as to the name of the vent holes on the side. The answer he got was " "Cruiserline Ventiports". I thought that would be a good question to ask on the website WebAnswers.Com. One guy posted the answer "Ventiports". The object is to award the first correct answer. Does anyone here no which term is used as the official name given by the company or where I could find that information?

I've gone through page after page on Google and all I can find is people stating that the correct term is "Cruiserliner Ventiports" without anything to back it up.

I went to the US Patent Office, but you can only do a search by patent number. I've heard that they are mentioned in old sales brochures.

Any info. will be appreciated.
    Sincerely, Jim

2. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

If you're talkin about that I think you are, they're most commonly known as just "Buick portholes."

jimmy six likes this.
  3. buford26

buford26

The early ones that actually opened into the engine compartment were called Venti-Ports, starting in 1949. Here is a factory brochure that mentions them in 1949.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stat...49 Buick Brochure/1949 Buick Brochure-02.html

The later ones that were just cosmetic are often called portholes (portholes can also refer to the earlier Venti-Ports). Of course, the '58 Buick didn't have either.

4. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the answer he got came back from Buick itself, why is there still any question?

5. Being a trivia buff, I've known the true name of those "portholes" was cruiserline ventiports for some time. Can't quote you my specific source, cuz it's been so long. Some other sources where you might find an answer are: the Buick Club of America, the book "70 Years of Buick," or even the Antique Automobile Club of America. But, like PWSCHUH sez, if the Buick Motor Company calls 'em cruiserline ventiports, why is there a question? You cudn't find a better source than that.

6. mixerville

mixerville

Thanks Bowtie Coupe.

7. mixerville

mixerville

Thanks buford26

8. PSJoey

PSJoey

Buick marketing was apparently just as confused. The 1949 Buick features sales brochure has the following page: 2015-11-18-15.05.30-900x596_15773.jpg

Squablow and SS327 like this.
  9. BJR

BJR

Somewhere in my Buick literature or maybe the 49 factory shop manual I have seen them called "Jet Stream Venti Ports".

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On a Buick, Ventiports
    On any thing else, dumb

BJR likes this.
  11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Front passenger area stays cooler? Did they sell Venti-Port plugs for winter driving?

RMR&C and BJR like this.
  12. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad always said thats where you shoved the kotex when dyna flowed

jimmy six, alanp561 and RMR&C like this.