Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

It depends on the amount of tire pressure you use for the best traction. 18-22 Lbs in a 9 inch tire does not require screws if the bead and wheel are clean when mounted. The low air pressures of the 7 in. tire days did require screws most of the time to keep the tire from rotating.

2. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

[Alas, very-few (if any) 'active' Junior Stockers were under-the-hood 'show worthy' once they entered the weekly fray. Most guys opted for 'earth-toned' headers after the first teardown. Not sure, but methinks Cureton's new (former Bobby Warren) Nova was sans any exhaust-tubing coatings when he picked it up. How bout it George?]

Makes cents. Constant tuning and engine teardowns, nothing would likely stay pretty for very long.

I do plan on running my car at the dragstrip, but not weekly. I seriously did think about just keeping my headers "rust" color. I thought it would look more authentic. It was a tough decision, but I went with white and we'll see how long they last before they go back to "rust"!:D

-Joe

3. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

X, I agree with you, I ran 22-24psi (220/283-glide)...

but see / read the attached Car Craft Text from '68...

Allred was running "14psi with no screws"...

Stahl was running "upwards of 28psi with screws"...

This proves again, that everybody has their own practice & opinions of what is correct.

Larry

Attached Files:

4. 1320/150

1320/150

I have tried alumi- coating in the past. It is different from cerami-coating and a lot cheaper. It resembles a white header look and will not peel. Dirty hands and oil are a seperate issue. Just thought i would give another idea. I know all the powder coat/sandblast dudes around here have the ability!!

5. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

I know it's not "theoretically technically visably correct" ( is that enough B.S.) but I have coated Hooker headers on the "new" drivetrain in my '69 W31 F/S. I also have chrome valve covers and a '70 W31 factory aluminum intake which really aren't supposed to be there either, however I am a real freak when it comes to detail and cleanliness under the hood. I tried some metal polish on one of the header collectors to remove an imperfection that occurred during the installation and it makes the coating shine almost like chrome. I thought about doing all of the tubes and flanges---Boy! I am nuts. Until next time.....Dave.

6. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Big factors were my budget and a nostalgic look. These were my considerations at the time.

1). Initial costs:

-Hooker Super Comps: $450
    -Sandblasting the set: $75

2). My options:

-Professionally coated w/ceramic off-white: (quoted shipped). $300
    -KBS ceramic coating off-white 1 pint can: (brush or spray DIY). $35
    -2 cans hi-temp VHT: (questionable results). $11
    -Leave as is: (rust). Free

I definitely don't want $825 into a set of headers!!!:eek:

After debating a while just leaving them alone for a "rusty" look, I did choose the KBS coating afterall. I'm not looking for perfection and not expecting miracles from a $35 can of paint. I don't mind if some flaking occurs or rust pokes through in some areas (which it will). But what I don't want is for all of the paint to flake off the tubes and the only paint left on the entire headers is on the flanges... (my past experience with VHT).

-Joe

7. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

Dave, with the header tubes of this diameter, I'd suggest using some of the wider Luster Lace... It makes quick work out of polishing tubing.

I'll smear a little Meguire's Mag Wheel Polish on a Lace for the tough stuff, and then I finish it off with a fresh Lace, to bring out the brilliance.

As you can see below, it's like a shoe lace with a metal polish / treatment impregnated into it, and it comes in different widths dependent on the size of your job. I've used this for years to spiff up chrome and stainless tubing. Check locally at Automotive Paint Stores.

(http://www.lusterlace.com )

"Party On!!"

Larry

Attached Files:

8. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Most guys including myself ran "Gebler" headers around the D.C. area tracks back in the 1960,s. LOTS of S.D. 60-61 Pontiacs ran Gebler headers. We all painted them flat black. It was a Jenkins trick to draw the heat from the headers like painting the block and heads black. Who knows if it worked but who can argue :eek: with "Da GRUMP" !

9. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Love that car!! Heres some memories for ya! I bought and raced a 64 Chevelle SS 327/250HP 4 sp. Car was classed in E/S for 64 and 65 and pushed to F/S for 66 season. Had Jenkins built motor in it for 66 season.
    I am attaching a few pics of it as it sat in front of my garage without the motor in it. Caption for the pic could read ; " Waiting on the Jenkins motor". The pic is dated on edge as april 66. I picked up my Jenkins prepped motor in late April 66. I think some of these pixs may have been posted on an earlier thread but here they are again.
    Enjoy your restored 64 SS!

Attached Files:

10. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Chuck -
    Whats special or different about the 65-67 Nova 283 block you mention here? I know the oil filter location is different and the Z-bar ball mount also, but those arent an issue in anything other than a Nova body - eh? Just wondering --- I DO still have one of these original 66 Nova 283 blocks sitting in the garage! Been there for almost 40 years!! LOL

11. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Alas -- I thought my "low HP" 57 Sedan delivery built with a 283/220 for N/SA wouldnt have enough power to spin the wheels inside the tires, so I didnt bother screwing and glueing them ----- HUGE MISTAKE - 3rd day out with the "new" car -- crashed and rolled and totaled the car 100 feet beyond starting line!! Car launched -- spun wheel in tire -- tore valve stem from tube -- tire flatened -- wheel dug into asphalt- axle broke - car spun around and rolled over --- end of story --- Moral --- Screw and glue the slicks -- especially if you're gonna run LOW air pressure -- like we did!! UGH -
    Ugly story -- but its the truth ---- worst part of this story is that i was so despondent over crashing the SD that i removed the drive train and sent the body to the crusher without ever taking any pictures of it in its crashed condition!!

12. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Matt,
    At the 1967 NHRA World Finals;

Dick Arons ran a 67' 396/325HP Camaro in SS/EA.
    He was Runner-Up in Super/Stock Eliminator.

The 67' 396/325HP Camaro's weighed in at #3217
    The SS/E and SS/EA class weight break started at 9.48 wt/hp.

pc

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  13. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

I just found this photo on another thread.

I'm curious if anybody here knows Who this was, and When this might have happened...

Looks to me to be a '66-'67 Fairlane (?) Stk / SS car in the shut down @ Pomona....

Larry

Attached Files:

14. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

I would say Junior Stock legal... as long as the mufflers are in the stock location and tailpipes are dumped at least to the rear axle?

From a 1962 413 Mopar. Kind of a cool setup and uses the factory headers. The system appears to be coated white, though it's hard to tell from the old b/w photo.:)

-Joe

15. rtomss

rtomss

67 W-30......thanks for the response. That's what I was looking for! Without being a part of it tracking back information is a little confusing as there seems to be so many factors and changes that took place. You're 64' was way cool. I've always liked these cars and just dig the balance between sthe size and lines of the car. What kind of motor did Jenkins build for you?

16. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I was there in 1971 and I remember the word coming into the barn during teardown about Pete Robinson. I do not remember the Fairlane getting upside down.

National Dragster mentions that Jim Waldo won SS/C in a 1966 Fairlane and the runner-up was Robert Lewellyn in a 1967 Ford. In looking at the picture in the last post, I'm not sure that the car has a 7" tire or a 9" tire or even if it's a '66 or a '67. I'm 99% sure that Waldo didn't get upside down but I don't remember ever seeing Lewellyn before or after that event. I do know that Waldo's car was white. It is pictured in some of the ads that followed the race.

c

17. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

How about this Gary, it's COOL huh!

Thanks William for doing that.

Larry

Attached Files:

18. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Wow Tweed! What a story with a BAD ending. Just read an article about you, Joe Donnelly, and Sam Murray at the Nationals. I should've planned my vacation around that instead of the same week----It would have been neat to have another Olds racer there. I have NOT forgotten about sending you pics, but like I said earlier I'm better to just mail them. The fellow Sam got his '72 Cutlass N.H.R.A. Record Holder from ( Wayne Shipley) is a very good friend and we are to show our race cars together at the East Coast Nationals the first weekend in December in Timonium, MD. Wayne has several REAL GOOD cars including the Hemmings Muscle Machine of the year (69 f85 W31), a KILLER '66 442 Nostalgia car (10.18 e.t. with a stick!) and a near mint '77 Cutlass Supreme with a factory 5-speed. Speaking of NEAT Oldsmobiles, I just picked up a '72 Cutlass S 2dr Hardtop with 64k original miles in GREAT UN-RESTORED condition. Until next time.....Dave. P.S. Thanks guys for the header polishing tips.

19. JrFuel

JrFuel
    from USA

Also a Class Winner '71 Winters (2nd row down - 4th one over) is my buddy John Barkley....

I saw John race this '57 in So-Cal in the 60's; and I saw the same car race in the mid 70's (after he had sold it) at Coles County Dragway - Charleston, Illinois (hey there Tim!!).

Here's John, some years later (like 30+) when he caught up with that same car once again at the
    HRR in Bowlling Green, Kentucky.... he could have bought it back, but passed!

This '57 has always been one of my favorites.

Larry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  20. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

I was lucky enough to staying at the same motel with Pete Robinson at the 1966
    Spring Nations Bristol Tenn. I was lucky to get to help him re ring or inspect his
    engine. I was a skinny little guy then!! I took the rods out and pushed the pistons
    he gave a little box to put the rod bearings in. When he went to put it back together
    he said pick a bearing out of the box wipe it clean put it in rod oil it and touque it
    down. I asked your mixing them up. he said didn't matter!! Fired it up in the parking lot
    He said it was Ok what a neat 1 to 2 hours. Then we had some adult bev. This was
    all done inside his closed trailer.

old-old timer

21. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

M,
    In 1967, Ed Miller out of Syracuse won S/S Eliminator at the Finals with his
    65' SS/A Race Hemi Plymouth over Dick Arons.
    Dick Arons ran in SS/EA with a 67' Camaro 396/325HP.
    The 67' 396/325HP engine was a 10.25-1 compression, with oval-port heads and
    Quadra-Jet carb.
    There was always a discrepancy that some of the 396/325HP L-35 engines came through with a Holley #4160 585 cfm ( 1.562 x 1.562) carburetor.

The 396/325HP 4-speed, 67' coupes weighed in at #3161 or (9.72 wt/hp).
    The 396/325HP automatic, 67' coupes weighed in at #3217 or (9.89 wt/hp)
    SS/E classes were for the 67' Z-28.
    SS/E and SS/EA classes were for the 67' SS 396/325 HP.

At the beginning of the 1967 season, the Super/Stock class was expanded
    to SS/A thru SS/E classes.
    At the beginning of the season there were not class records for the newly expanded
    weight breaks.
    Initially, SS/EA class had a minimum of 13.03 ET.
    It was then dropped to 12.80 ET.
    By mid-year most of the top cars were running in the 12.50 ET range.

pc

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  22. plexitim

plexitim

I used to live in Chagrin Falls, knew Will Stoner pretty well and am very familiar with Kablooey. Great guy, very knowledgeable and helped us a ton with a '57 Chevy gasser we were running at the time. He stopped drag racing a few years later in favor of competitive motorcycle racing. Have his contact info, let me see if I can ping him and see if he's got any old photos lying around.

23. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

24. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

Plymouth.jpg

25. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

anyone know who owned/drove these Olds?

26. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Hey guys.

What years did Junior Stock racing officially start and end?

Thanks.

-Joe

27. BadNews

BadNews

Larry,
    I think his '66 Bel Air is a close 2nd. IMHO.
    Kevin

28. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65
    from Detroit

All I can make out on the door of the 69 is Michigan State R.....

29. 39pontiaccoupe

39pontiaccoupe

That red 'vette that ran C/S was Stan Spolski out of Reading ,Pa. Originally ran a Camaro called the Bad bunny. One of my pics. at www.drags.lookskool.com

30. 39pontiaccoupe

39pontiaccoupe

Oops,my bad....that pic. is elsewhere. I'll find those pics & post later.