Register now to get rid of these ads!

What a HAMB guy should see in New York City

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicks Hot Rod Garage, Nov 4, 2010.

1. South_paw

South_paw
    from America

If your in town this weekend, keep in mind the NYC marathon is on Sunday. It will throw a wrench in your travel plans if you don't plan around it.

2. Johnny99

Johnny99

Was there in July, AWESOME! Statue Of Liberty , catch an early boat to beat the mob, if you build stuff for a living and are not completely awe struck by the statue you're dead behind the eyes. The Chrysler Building is a beautiful sight, art deco style, marble, granite, and stainless. The subway is a great way to get around, get a hold of a map and get acquainted with the routes, you can get around rather quickly. If you get a chance to see a show, see the Million Dollar Quartet, a fifties themed musical play, added bonus for me, the bass player in the show is one of my best friends son:cool: [shameless plug] Sorry I am no help with NYC car related stuff, but its a site to see for a kinda country boy like me. Laughed my ass off when my 12 year old boy got a load of the naked singing cowgirl:D Go and have fun!
    John

3. HRod 50

HRod 50

29AV8, I'm going to guess 3 stop lights in the town you're from and with No crobar big enough to open that closed mind of yours? Am I right? :p

4. Beebeebobby

Beebeebobby
    from Webb City

If he wants a good deal on a room he can go to the Milner in downtown LA!! walking distance to subway in downtown LA...take him straight to Hollywood and Jimmy Kimmel.:rolleyes:

5. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Any of the vintage jazz clubs.A weekend is not alot of time of course.But one of those would and have been a destination for me and my wife.Cool stuff you'll never forget!

The Blue Note/The Village Vanguard/Birdland.........

6. South_paw

South_paw
    from America

There is a few car related things right in the heart of the city that most don't even realize. Broadway near Columbus Circle was called Automobile Row from the early 1900's and into the 50's. One building is still there completely intact since 1909. It's the Argonaut building on the corner of 57st and Broadway. Peerless Motor cars built the building and in the 20's sold it to GM. The building has a car elevator that goes all the way to the top floor. General Motors owned the building into the 70's and had a Cadillac dealership at the building most of that time. Here's a picture of the building.
    [​IMG]

7. 296ardun

296ardun

Can't top this advice from guys who have lived there, it is a great city...but don't rule out hot rods altogether....first time in NYC in 1977, walking down Broadway and there in traffic was a chopped and channeled Model A coupe with a SBC, blue...really cool car....there are lots of hot rodders and customizers in the vicinity.

8. oldolds

oldolds

There is a flea market off of 6th ave about 26 or 27th st, It is open weekends. It is called The Garage. The other side of 6th ave about half block is an outdoor flea market. I doubt you will find any rare flathead stuff there. I have found some neat old toy cars at times. I usuaiiy get to the city 2 or 3 times a year. Do the double decker tour bus, Gray Line. They tell you what you are seeing. Quite a history lesson. You will pass places George Washington visited. buy a sight seeing book. That way you will have a map and an idea where you are.

9. i don't get the attraction of the big apple. too many people, they treat cars like a floor mat,can't see the sun, air stinks ,buses drive by a blow all the crap from the gutter at you, noisy, expensive. thats just me have a wonderful time.

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

If you have the time and means for a short trip:

Dia:Beacon

Definitely not typical, but some great stuff to see.

11. RalphyBoy161

RalphyBoy161

There is a car show in the parking lot of the BELMONT RACETRACK sat-sun 8am-5pm (about 500-700 cars depending on the weather). Its not a traditional custom car show as they let in cars of all eras and makes but there is always alot of old American Iron on display. $8.00 to get in.(click on my flickr.com link in my signature to see photos of previous Belmont shows with alot of H.A.M.B. friendly Kustoms & Hot Rods)
    http://www.longislandcars.com/site/HOME.html
    its exit 26B on the Cross Island Parkway

12. Beano

Beano
    from Pa.

Count me in with these guys .

13. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

NY is cool, had a great time. funny story, I was about to leave the house and I get a phone call and a guy wanted to buy a nailhead 2x4 intake. Again I was walking out the door, so I told him that it will be a few weeks before I could ship it because I was heading out of town. He said it was fine and I asked him wereit was going to and he said NY City. I told him I would bring it to him, because I was on my way to NY. He was stoked, so I get up there and I was walking around time square with a nailhead intake. We met up and worked the deal and it was really cool. Bad thing is I spent all the money on stripers and beer

14. long island vic

long island vic

as soon as you put your luggace down on the bed look out the window,,,head there,,,then turn rite walk a block head left,,you will find something on every corner,,,the city never sleeps....don,t look up cause your a tourist and you,llll get pigion shit in your eye ,, rent a girlfriend is real easy sept alot have three legs and the ones that don,t you need yard guard on you bone every block kolds a new suprise...the menus are on the outside windows of all food place for a reason,,,you can go for you left nut for a burger.....you will run out of time before things too do.....hit grenich village with an open mind alot of history there....you don,t have too be gay to have a good time there but keep in mind that people are all the same inside

15. 29AV8

29AV8

There is more than three stoplights in town. and I also dont spend all my time in traffic. it takes me 8 minutes to get to work and 8 minutes home its great. Sometimes I get stopped by a train or funeral. I just dont care for big citys and lots of people....