Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tryin' to finish dads last ride!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dads_Last_Ride, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Dads_Last_Ride

Dads_Last_Ride

So, I'm obviously a newbie or else I wouldn't be posting this... My father and I didn't meet until I was 27 years old due to some things my mom screwed up. Anyways, he was an AVID kustom enthusiast and built MANY hot rods in his day. He passed away at 55 years old on Oct 5th of this year and our relationship was cut very short. Needless to say, I didn't get a lot of time to learn from the pro when it comes to customizing. He came down with cancer 7 months ago right after he began building his '30 Ford LITERALLY from the ground up. He asked me if I would finish it for him and I openly said yes. His only request was that I name it DAD'S LAST RIDE. Every one of you would have loved my dad as he was one of the most kind people on this planet.

I wanted to finish this for him before he passed, but he went very fast. So, my goal is to finish this baby and drive it to NH where he rests.....

Looking forward to meeting a lot of intelligent people on here so I can finish this dream of mine....and HIS!!!

Will post pics of his rods and the progress of the '30!!

Larry:D

2. satin&flake

satin&flake

sorry for your loss
    welcome from idaho

3. Dads_Last_Ride

Dads_Last_Ride

Thanks!!!! I have honestly learned more in the last 2 hours flippin through threads than I have in 4 months lol

4. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Good luck with your build and welcome from AZ!
    Sorry for your loss

5. hello... sorry for your loss

6. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

sorry for your loss. sounds like a fine tribute to your dad, hope the build goes well. did he tell you what all he had in mind for it?

7. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck & enjoy, from No. Conn.

8. Welcome from Connecticut

9. Larry, Sorry for your Loss,......................Good Luck on the build, and welcome to the H.A.M.B....................from Arkansas City, KS.

firstnomad
    www.angelfire.com/jazz/flatlandstudio

10. Welcome to the H.A.M.B. from Des Moines, Iowa!

11. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

welcome to the HAMB from wayOUT weST AZ.........
    sorry for your loss..

12. robertsregal

robertsregal

Welcome from Minnesota! Enjoy the ride I'm thinking your Dad will be there in spirit to guide you thru, Good Luck!!

13. Welcome from Arkansas. He'll be with you...

14. big bad john

big bad john

......Larry.....sorry for your loss......welcome

15. I'm thankful that you were able to get to know your father and have some time with him before his death, and finishing his car and enjoying it is a great way to honor his memory. Welcome to the HAMB, there's a wealth of knowledge here and good folks who are happy to give you the benefit of their knowledge and experience. Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup and Ozelle the '55 Ford send friendly horn honks to you and your '30 Model A.

16. Dads_Last_Ride

Dads_Last_Ride

Thanks for all the kind words... Will post pics of the HUGE project I have in store... It is gonna need a LOT of attention but will be bad ass when done!!

17. Dads_Last_Ride

Dads_Last_Ride

SOOOOOO this is what it looked like when my father had to stop workin' on it....... It was originally a 4 door but as you can see, he cut the ass end off and brought it up to the front doors. He wanted to turn it into a kustom coupe so this was the beginning of the beast that will be known as "DAD'S LAST RIDE"!!!

Attached Files:

18. Dads_Last_Ride

Dads_Last_Ride

We went to Iowa to pick up the car which was 6 1/2 hours away. With a loaded down Mountaineer full of tools and welding equipment that had the suspension already maxed out, we hauled the car on a car hauler and the journey through hell to get home began.

Didn't realize the body was just barely tack welded to the frame and it came loose. It was like 2 in the morning in the middle of nowhere when we realized this happened. So the only thing we could find in the local gas station to secure the body down was, you guessed it......... DUCT TAPE!!!! It worked well believe it or not! lol

Attached Files:

• 070.jpg
      070.jpg
      File size:
      504.6 KB
      Views:
    • 069.jpg
      069.jpg
      File size:
      498.6 KB
      Views:
    • 071.jpg
      071.jpg
      File size:
      505.3 KB
      Views:
  19. Rocket-88

Rocket-88

Larry, that looks like a great project. It will be a great tribute to your father, my condolences.

Welcome from Ventura, CA.

20. He'll always be looking over your shoulder helping. Welcome from Ks.

21. ragtop50

ragtop50
    from UK

Sorry for your loss , build that car for your late father and welcome to the H.A.M.B

22. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

Sorry for your loss. Lotta work there but don't give up........Build that car for your father & you will have tons of pride in it.
    Welcome to the H.A.M.B.

23. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

larry, sorry for the loss of your father, welcome to the H.A.M.B. from utah

24. Beebeebobby

Beebeebobby
    from Webb City

Man you got my heart here...lost my dad recently so I know the feeling. I will follow your thread.

25. joey tee

joey tee

kickass build ..gunna b fun ..sorry 4 ur ya loss..dad will b proud wen shes dun im sure..

26. Maineac 1

Maineac 1

Sorry to hear of your loss but sounds like you learned what kind of person he was before he passed.Good for you ! This site has a wealth of knowledge and abundance of parts you might need,not always cheap but usually fair.Best of luck on your build
    and hope you keep this hotrod as a treasure forever!

27. kingpins

kingpins

very awesome intro. sorry about your father. sounds like a hell of a guy but atleast you got some time with him and he got a chance to see his boy before he passed. good luck with the car cause you got the whole HAMB behind ya buddy. and welcome from raleigh NC.

28. Dads_Last_Ride

Dads_Last_Ride

He actually had told me that he wanted to paint it Flat Black with some green highlights in different spots. His idea of "green" on this one was kind of a bright ass green that was TOTALLY out of the norm for him. He could tell I wasn't too excited about that color so he said, "but any green would look good." lol So I'm goin for a military looking green. Already painted a few things green since I've had it, like the wheels and the head lights..... I bought a shift knob at a swap meet not far from where I live and painted it and that's where I got the green from that I like...:D

Attached Files:

29. Dads_Last_Ride

Dads_Last_Ride

Here's a few more pics. He built the frame from scratch cause he wanted somethin a lil different.... and the use of russian hockey pucks for motor mounts was GENIUS in my book!! lol

Attached Files:

30. Dads_Last_Ride

Dads_Last_Ride