Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake ?'s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48olds, Oct 30, 2010.

1. 48olds

48olds

hey everyone. ive been doing some research on upgrading my brakes on my 48 olds. please keep in mind that im a newbie at this so if my questions dont make sense please forgive me. anyways i cant decide whether i want a frame mount or firewall brake booster. is one better than the other? i know the frame mount is "better looking" but ive been reading that they have issues with clearance for exhaust, steering, etc. any info i would greatly appreciate it. thanks in advance:D

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

A booster alone will not upgrade your brakes, it will only give you more pedal. None of my vehicles have ever had a booster, and with the correct pedal ratios, they simply aren't necessary.

3. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem
    BANNED
    from Las Vegas

4. If you want power brakes and have the room for a frame mount booster it at least hides all of the ugliness. Getting the unit to clear all of the other components is like any other non stock modification .....you need to make it fit.

5. Where in the world did folks start getting the idea that they NEED power brakes?

6. F&J

F&J

I know were not talking pickups here, but that old car probably feels/drives like one :)

I did a pile of 60-66 chev trucks for people wanting very simple upgrades for todays traffic.

They all got PS and a PB booster and better rear gear ratios.

I can't see running one of those old chevs without. It really makes them drive like a modern truck. I did very few discs unless it was hauling weight.

I prefer firewall mount on most builds, just so the fluid might get checked more often. Under floor never seemed to get checked by the owners.

7. 48olds

48olds

hey folks thanks for the replys. right now im looking to upgrade my brakes but im not sure which way to go. i like the concept of the frame mount vs the firewall mount. im also looking to do disc brakes on my 48 but there isnt that much of a market out there. is it that much of a difference between disc brakes and drums? im going to be running a 350/350 combo in the car, and have heard if i rebuild the drum brakes and m/c that it should be sufficient to stop my car. dont know how true this is, but if any one has any info please let me know. im a newbie if you havent notice yet. thanks for the time.:D

8. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

I know this is a rather old post, but I only came across it a moment ago. The link to the pedal for the under the dash application.. Is the MC also under the dash? I looks like the orange box would be mounted to the cab side of the firewall, and the MC would be mounted just aft of it. I'm having a bit of trouble picturing it. Do you have any photos of the pedal installed?