Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs my dad finally gets his old ford back.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by madwagon56, Sep 29, 2010.

1. sdluck

sdluck

2. madwagon56

madwagon56

well dads been workin on the ford made new lens for the tail lights got rid of the ugly metal mesh and the old ugly blue dots. tap plastics here in town got us the lens material and we shaped it looks tons better. and for the best part he got rid of the ugly wheel covers and mis matched size tires and wheels. now it has 15x7 chrome smoothies. i cant beleive how it makes the car look with all the same size rubber and wheels. he is still undecided on weather to run the smooth caps, put spyders on it or bullets. here are a few pictures please chime in on the cap issue.

Attached Files:

3. slobroy

slobroy

great story, that 65 impala brings back some memories. My close friend had one with a 396 and passed me on the interstate while i was doing 140 in my 340 duster. Man what a ride!

4. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's an awesome story man, great to see the car back in good hands. That's a pretty radical shoebox, you have any old pics or build pics?

6. RDR

RDR

Great story,always love to hear when prodigals return home!! Met the HAMB owner in 1998 or 99 on a trip to Paso in this Ford...seems his hood had blown open around Cottage Grove and he had bungied it shut and continued on to Paso...I saw him and the group he was running with in Stockton,CA and continued on to Paso with them and brought up the rear....somewhere after Tracy on the I-205 cutoff the bungie cord gave up and I watched the hood fly up and slap the roof and break both windshields...pretty well making that hood a piece of scrap....Now flash forward to Paso as we all did make it there, and a sectined Ford with a screwed up hood and a magic marker laying on it got signatures and notes from anyone who wanted to sign it...with the likes of Larry Watson, Bill Hines, Rich Pichette,John D',etc,etc,etc.... Anyway I have to say that hood was probably worth more as a wall hanger than it ever was on the car...just some more history for your shoebox memories!!:cool:

Attached Files:

7. skoh73

skoh73

Man, just when i think the world is completely going to hell a great story like this one pops up. How cool! Man, this is why I love the HAMB!!!

8. eddie1

eddie1

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

9. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Great thread!!! Gotta love it...

10. lawman

lawman

Thats great !!!! So many of my old cars I wish I had back.Tom (Tired Old Man)

11. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Man you are one cool dude to do that for your dad ! You are a good son. Good Carma will come your way some day, that is one cool Custom.

12. madwagon56

madwagon56

yeah dads pretty proud of that red thing, thanks for posting the pictures with the bashed hood, dad will love that.

13. That is one One sweet shoe box! I am liking the spinner caps idea.Pete.

14. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

Both cars look pretty cool!

I did a similar thing for my Dad a few years back as he was always going on about wanting a 56 Chevy 150 like he had when he was a kid. I made a trade for a project one and suprised him with it.

15. sololobo

sololobo

Good for you brother, you made your parents happy as well as the Chevy owner. This is the mark of a true car lover and a real nice guy. Atta Boy! ~Sololobo~

16. Labold

Labold

Hey Rod,
    It looks great and glad the deal worked out for you guys. It is amazing at how much difference a wheel swap did for it.

17. madwagon56

madwagon56

thanks tim did your dad ever sell the 56?

18. TMunster

TMunster
    from Las Vegas

great story! thanks for sharing

19. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Man, This is a great gift from a son as pay back for all the things your dad did for you. I am sure your dad is really enjoying the shoebox.

20. belair

belair

Great story and a great car. I really like those cars cut like that. And yes, do move that grille back.

21. Labold

Labold

He still has it. He hasn't really tried very hard though. It all depends on the day. One day he is ready to sell'em all, the next day they are all keepers.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I missed this story the first time around... Awesome. Good son.

23. It is great to hear this story.Tthe test of your father is how his children act in life,He gets an "A".

24. madwagon56

madwagon56

thanks for all the posts next comes the ugly interior its done in a grey tweed, they even took a 65 chevelle console and covered it in tweed. got dad a bench seat and now comes the tuck and roll ill post pictures as we get started again thanks for the kind comments

25. madwagon56

madwagon56

well its a small world, me and dad got up and took the 51 to steve's auto restorations open house and saw some cool stuff and some old hot rodding buddies. as i was talking chuck from steve's came up and said a guy wanted to talk to me about the ford, as i started talking to him he told me he had built the car in 1962. like i said before dad had it in like 1970 and we never knew who built it. so i grabbed dad and we stood and talked to jack and his son bill , he said he bought the car for 60.00 off a car lot here in town and took it home and chopped and sectioned it. it was real cool talking to him and hearing the story on the car it really brings it full circle. he also said he had pictures of the build when it was still in the welded form and when it was painted black. i cant wait to see it with the quad lights. as soon as he gets me the pictures ill post them. here is a few pictures with the new bench seat as we got it fit. check out that fine 65 chevelle console done in the grey tweed and the bucket seat. even with the tore up bench it looks better.

Attached Files:

26. Labold

Labold

Wow, it is cool enough that you were able to find your Dad's old car much less run into the chap that built it.
    Those build pictures will be fun.

27. big bad john

big bad john

.......Your a good son.........only wish my kids would do the same.....Your dad should be proud of you......

28. jonly

jonly

amazing story, thanks a ton for sharing!

29. RAY With

RAY With

You did good and no doubt you family is most proud of you and your thoughtfulness. Your family is blessed for sure and thanks for postion the story.

30. madwagon56

madwagon56

well got the ford out and decided it was time to help dad move the grill back in the cavity, got it moved back about 4 inches boy now the car doesnt have the buck tooth look. took it for a cruise and stopped by the interior guy looks like he will be getting started on the tuck and roll. here some pictures the first one shows how far it was out.

Attached Files: