Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Ever Win a Raffled Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Oct 27, 2010.

1. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

The Louiseville NSRA roadster was won by a friend of mine after the other guy couldn`t produce a title in his name. Mike really drives the hell out of that `32.
    At the Pumpkin Run a couple of years ago a buddy left early and they called his name for the giveaway car and of course we called him on his cell and he didn`t believe us. He wouldn`t drive back. Too bad.
    We still remind him of it every chance we get.

2. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Speaking of lottery stories...'didja'
    hear the one about.
    ...':D

A guy goes and buys a horse from a
    farmer for a $100. He pays for it and
    makes arrangements to pick it up the
    next day. When he arrives to get the
    horse, the farmer informs him that
    he has bad news - the horse has died
    overnight!

"Well, just give me my money

back, then
    ", the guys says.

"
    Sorry, but I can't do that" says
    the farmer, "Not right now, anyway.
    I spent it already
    ".

"
    Well then", says the guy, "Just
    give me the dead horse then and
    we'll call it even then
    "

"
    Ok, sure..but what on earth are
    you gonna' do with a dead horse???
    "
    asks the farmer incredulously.

"
    I'm gonna sell tickets and raffle
    him off and I'll get all my money
    back! In fact, I'll make money on
    him even!
    " the guy replied
    confidently.

"But you can't raffle off a dead horse"

says the farmer, "Nobody'll buy
    tickets!
    ".

"
    Sure they will" says the guy, "Just
    watch me. I just won't tell anybody
    that the horse is dead.
    "

A month later, the farmer runs into

the guy and asks -"So how'd you
    make out with that dead horse I
    sold you
    ?"

"
    Great!" the guy says, grinning. "I
    sold a 1000 tickets on that horse
    for $5 each!
    "

"
    But didn't ya' have to refund
    everyone's money once people
    found out the horse was dead?
    "
    asked the farmer.

"
    No, just to one", the guy answered
    grinning. "The man who won - I had
    to give him his 5 bucks back!
    "
    :eek::D
    --------------------

Mart3406 (who doesn't buy raffle
    tickets on horses any more
    !:D)
    =========================

3. YUP
    THATS ME..
    2010 MERCEDES BENZ C63 AMG
    451 HP
    7 SPD AT
    OVER THE TOP ON BOARD COMPUTER/NAV.
    0-60 4.7 SECONDS
    $71,000.00
    MY INSURANCE TRIPLED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krHUE3c0he8

WITHIN SECONDS OF TELLING ANYONE ABOUT MY BIRTDAY WIN... THEY DON'T ASK ABOUT COLOR OR NUMBER OF DOORS THEY ASK "HOW MUCH WAS THE TAXES?"

I DUNNO YET?

I DID PAY GAS GUZZLER TAX $2100.00:eek: WHEN I PICKED ITUP.

YES ITS FAST AND YES ITS A PIG ON GAS... I HAVE TO GAS IT UP ALMOST ON EVERY OUTING...AVG. ABOUT 13 MPG

1ST DAY OUT WITH IT WENT TO A FARM AUCTION HAULED HOME A CAR LOAD OF DAMP BOXES OF ASST. OLD TOOLS AND CAR STUFF INCLUDING HALF A CASE OF BUCK SCENT....

NOT SURE WHERE TO PUT MY H.A.M.B ALLIANCE TAG ON IT THO?....MAYBE BY THE PERSONALLY SIGNED ENGINE BUILDERS TAG..:)

Attached Files:

4. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

About 6 weeks ago my sister and her kids won one of those MGTD kit cars with VW power. Really little car. Has been driving it around the neighborhood.

It was used and apparently rarely driven. Some professor had given it to his church and the church raffled it at picnic/fundraiser. Sister bought $100 worth of tickets and the odds had to have been very good at this little local event. My dad, who owned a real TD, saw the car and said it was great.

I used to help administer sweepstakes for a big consumer products company. We hired various companies to "fulfill" the sweepstakes, receive the mail, pick the winners, certify the winners, etc.

One of those companies said, back in the early 90's at least, that lots of sweepstakes had only a small box full of entries, so the odds were good. Best were big companies offering a big prize in a straightforward sweeps, but that failed to advertise well.

5. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I am the guy who buys the ticket one number away from the winning number. Done this at least 3 times.

6. At an OKlahoma Route 66 cruise in 1993, my wife and I won a trip for two to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Never took it, because the cruise sponsors said a few days later - "what trip???" This was one of the larger door prizes for this little event...there was also a $500 cash prize, a built SBC 383, and other things. We tried, several times, to make arrangements to take the trip, and the promoters came back with excuse after excuse. I sicked my attorney on the event promoters, and even he came back with zip.

Yet another thing over the years that has soured me on attending most car events. I've yet to attend any of the large Route 66 commemorations, cruises, or shows in Oklahoma since.

7. RATFINKFOREVER

RATFINKFOREVER
    from Canada Eh

The weather is sunny and cool in Vancouver perfect cruising weather.

8. Dad

Dad
    from Lena Ill

Our town Lyons club gives away a brand new car every year in the fall. Been doing for many years. The cars always were Impalas, Furys, or Galaxies that were loaded. In 1975 the economy was a little weak and they decided to budget a little, a Dodge Dart 6 cyl auto plain jane 2 door with roof. I won it and planned on keeping it for along time. Had it Z barted and all. 2 years later I was patching rust holes, so traded it.
    When we won the car it was 6 tickets for $5, I bought $5 worth. We picked up the car and at that time I had to pay income tax on the value when I filed taxes at the end of year. Since the Lyons club titled and licensed it for nearly a year I considered it a used car and set the value as used.
    So yes some people do win.

9. 4woody

4woody

I won a Geo Tracker(!) at Interbike one year. Fortunately I was able to afford the (minimal) taxes.

10. The Rotary Club of Everett, Washington was at the Goodguys in Puyallup, Wa and at many other locations selling their tickets for a custom 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air. These volunteers spend many hours selling tickets to raise money for many great causes.
    Below is the lucky winner!
    Congratulations LEIGH BOONE Winner of the '57 Chevy Bel-Air!
    Ticket # 23487

11. Never2low

Never2low

I'll bet you got a few strange looks, huh.

"Is he really gonna put that stuff in that Benz?":eek:

12. Rewired

Rewired
    from Fresno

A guy named george nan here in fresno won a roadster and a coupe at two different goodguys events,one was a 34 but i cant remember what year the other one was.

13. hooligan909

hooligan909
    from San Diego!

i won a Nintendo 64 back in 4th grad with one ticket i bought.... only thing i have won lol.... i couldn't imagine what it would be like to win a car!!!

14. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I won a rebuilt 350 Chev at a local show, cost $20 to enter the show, I was early to set up and got a great spot indoors, I had 2 in the show and both won their class (a 31 Pontiac and a 46 Ford glass-top bus) I won 2 great door prizes and that engine, I was feeling pretty damn good that day!

I don't trust a lot of the car raffles, especially the ones I see in West Edmonton Mall and other malls like that, I have been seeing the same exact 80's Ferrari for raffle since the mid 90's, I was able to get the vin off of it one year and sure enough it was the same car for year after year after that... and they also raffle a 58 Vette and a newer Jag and some other super cars, and none ever seem to change. They even stopped removing the one Ferrari from the mall, it just stays in the same spot year after year, I take photos of it every time I see it now.

I do enter the raffle cars at real car shows though, and unfinished cars seem to be a realistic thing to be able to win, but the best part is that no matter what you win be it a $1000 car or a $1 000 000 car, there are no taxes at all on it, and we don;t use the US style title system here, all we need to do is make it pass a safety and then register it if we win! (and i think the safety is only for older cars that have not been registered in Alberta for a number of years or ever)

I would love to win a built hot rod or a vintage vette one day...

15. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

coworker won a new chrysler sebring convert a couple yrs back. gave it to his daughter for the price of the taxes.

16. We have a lot of people working right now in a stable economy because of the weather too, sorry don't like bashers ....
    Canada pulls ahead by two points. LOL

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I wonder who won this one?

[​IMG]

18. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Pls discuss in detail.

What do you think would be the most legitimate way to ensure that the contest is legit so as to "maximumly" attract ticket sales?

1) Method of selecting the winning number/ticket?
    a) The lottery machines with the balls, under air current, moving around in the chamber?

2) What about the deal of a part of you must touch the car----last one to stay connected to it wins.

19. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Back in the late 60s-early 70s our volunteer firehouse annual carnival would raffle about a dozen cars. My friend's parents won a 68 Plymouth Satellite Wagon. About a year later it got rear ended and totalled.

At another firehouse carnival when I was about six, my best friend won a GI Joe set and I won a frickin' Barbie set! I was so embarassed that I didn't want to go up and get it.

20. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

First, many if not all states prohibit raffles as illegal gambling, with specific exemptions for legitimate charities and the like. I'd determine legitimacy by who the sponsor is. If it's a church, it's probably legit. If it's some unknown car club-- not so much.

21. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

If they only sold two tickets, mine would be the one that didn't win...

22. 61 gasser

61 gasser

I won a modded '90 5.0l mustang about two years ago. Funny thing is that a good customer/friend of mine gave me the ticket. I sold it two days later and gave him half the money.

23. chopdtop

chopdtop

I haven't won a car but I won an autographed Metallica "Live Sh*T, binge and purge" box set from MTV and a set of Pep Boys bobble heads from Ebay.

I still wonder who won this car and it's whereabouts now.

Attached Files:

24. philo426

philo426

The only way it would work if they agreed to pay the taxes as well as furnishing the auto.What are the chances of that happening?

25. long island vic

long island vic

i won a hooker for the nite at a bar raffle,,,,,,best five dollar ticket i ever bought

26. I won the 08 NSRA giveaway car. I ended up with about 7 g's in it too. I had a few parts fail but all but one of the manufacters made them good. They didn't have to since there was no warranty on anything.Its been a good car. The shop that built it done a great job. I've turned down 75 g's for it twice.I've put 7000 miles on it in 2 summers.

27. dsr_54

dsr_54

I won an open car trailer once. Had friends win a snowmoblie, and another win a new harley.

28. fleetside66

fleetside66

In 1969, my father won a 1969 Camaro (307, automatic). He was pressured into buying the ticket, which was $30, and was not too thrilled about it (until he got a call that he won the car). He couldn't find the ticket stub & almost ripped a shelf off our kitchen wall looking for it. The car turned out to be a nice little runner, which he ended up giving to my brother. One day, years later, it was parked out in front of my brother's house & some stoner came along & hit it full force. My brother was watching T.V. in his living room & saw it fly through the air. That was the end of that. My brother later found a half smoked joint in the bushes where the cops were interviewing the kid that hit the Camaro. Sigh...such innocent times.

29. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Never a car , but I did win a ZZ4 engine at the Outriders picnic a few years back. Sold the engine to pay for some metal fab.

30. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Won a tupperware 41 Willys coupe & some chassis rails a few years back. Was supposed to come full steeled out with doors hung,but manufacturer went under before he did it. Still, I swapped it all for a rebuild on a blown 540 engine for my t bucket & a rebuild on a blown 477 for my FED project.

All the ticket holders, were in a hall for the draw & most walked out unhappy as soon as they found some dude from down country had won it, they all left so the bar take was down too