Register now to get rid of these ads!

best way to laod 5000 lbs car on trailer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noxided, Oct 28, 2010.

1. RodStRace

RodStRace

A winch, even a cheap one will be a great help. You also must have someone with a 4X4 at the ready just in case Murphy is in attendance. You also need someone steering. The 4X4 person has only one task, so you need to work the winch and steer if that's all you have. This in 9 degrees, and that's a cheapie HF type winch and a pair of jumper cable going up to the battery. That is also a 47 Chrysler that weighs only slightly less than modern SUVs.
    I would not want to do this with a come-along. I would not want to do this on a downhill.

Attached Files:

2. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-----------------------------------------
    Ditto on using a 'winch' instead of a
    'wench'! 'Been there and done that'
    and it don't work!!!! LOL :D

Mart3406
    =====================

3. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I can't believe it takes 63 replys to tell a guy how to get shit up on a trailer!!!!!
    Hope you aren't thinking about building the car...........

4. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

--------------
    That comes next and may necessitate
    a complete dedicated web page and
    mailing list all of it's own, just for all
    the advice!!!!:eek::D

Mart3406
    =========================

5. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

now this is all uncalled for. I would take it apart & load one piece at a time . Remember to take plenty of drinks & wd40
    MY NAME IS RICHARD BUT YOU CAN CALL ME DICK

6. Just lift the barstard on!
    Lift a corner of the car up and slide it onto the trailer then push the rest of it on thats what i did- but im 6'3 350, :eek::D

[​IMG]

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

LMAO, no shit!

8. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

After all this, looks like all that car needs is a battery and some fresh gas and she be good to go. Just dont park on a hill and use only the parking brake to hold the truck while loading something heavy ( 4500lb Forklift) seams the parking brake only works on the rear wheels, not real efective when they are in the air. The truck will usually stop rolling about the time the trailer is jacknifed aginst the side of it. Not something I learned the easy way.

9. toddc

toddc

Don't forget the most important bit, you're an Aussie too :p

10. noxided

noxided

get pissy some more and lets get this thread back to the top and to five pages.

Thanks for the ideas, just trying to be open mided and thought maybe I was just doing it the hard way. Thanks to all the forum friendly hamers out there that are willing to help just about anyone.... even help the pricks like above if they needed it.

11. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Chinook? Just sayin'.

Seriously, lots of good recommendations. You will need a good sized vehicle to pull it with.
    If you have ever towed a vehicle that size plus trailer with less than a 3/4 ton you know what I mean. It drives you. Can you get it started?

12. studhud

studhud

Dude not pissy-not even upset.
    Nor did I direct anything at you
    You completely missed my point so will spell it out
    I get the fact that you wanted input/ideas-great that is what the hamb is all about sharing info/getting the help you need and helping others where you can. And yes I have gotten all kinds of help here also helped a ton of folks out myself/I have contributed here more than you will ever know.
    You got all the advice there was to offer in the first page of responses
    people on here (not you) read the first couple of posts then jump onboard with a post saying the same thing over and over(just look back how many people said "come along" over and over)very repetitive obviously people dont read all the posts on this thread before posting. Thats why I used the big print 9cant miss it) then guys even after that post "come along" kinda repetitive don't ya think?

Tell ya what make it 10 pages
    BTT
    Dave Hitch
    PS I prefaced my comments with "I don't mean to a Dick" because I figured my point would be missed and I am a Dick not a prick:D

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  13. studhud

studhud

Damn I cant belive you werent called a prick for saying that? its not his fault the first five posts covered it but other people feel the need to go on and on
    oh wait now I'm doing it Fuck:mad:
    Dave Hitch

14. S.F.

S.F.

BAAAhaha! im sorry but thats just halarious.

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Is it loaded yet?

16. studhud

studhud

17. Can I get your badge number?
    Need to check that you are an "official" HAMB policeman:D

18. studhud

studhud

stole this pic from Jesse James the Hamb police look like this
    [​IMG]

meanwhile I look like this
    [​IMG]
    [/I]

Mind you that is my stunt double David Gambino impersonating me

Ill get this thrad to 10 pages myself it I have to:D

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  19. Truckedup

Truckedup

So...what's the final answer? Come-a-longs? Winches ? 20 drunk friends?or do you give in and just hire a roll back tow truck? The tow truck may actually be cheaper if the car isn't far from your place and you don't have to buy a $400 10,000 winch to rig on the trailer.
    You guys are funny who slam Cum-A-Longs. I used them many times in big construction to move equipment as heavy as a car in very difficult places,never over head of course.A quality made in USA rachet hoist of the proper capacity will move a Lincoln for sure and the tool won't blow up in your face.Some types of chain falls will also work well on a horizontal pull without the chain jamming.We're talking 300 buck plus tools here not Charlie Chan stuff you guys must be using.Any tool using a cable including a winch is potentially lethal if the stressed cable breaks.Always use caution and never be in a position where a broken cable can whip off an arm or your head.
    After loading the car,enjoy the wench...........

20. big bad john

big bad john

Ditto with Trucked up.......enjoying the wench could be the best part...

21. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

meanwhile I look like this
    [​IMG]
    [/I]

Mind you that is my stunt double David Gambino impersonating me

Ill get this thrad to 10 pages myself it I have to:D[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA!!! Sorry to bring it back to the top!!!;)

22. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

:DYeah, I was married to a wench, you're right her nails were more precious (to her), than I was, LOL!!!! :eek:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  23. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

i hope you dont call that a guy!

24. It's the guys that use the 5,000 pound wench that scare me.

A 5,000 pound winch is a good thing. The 5,000 pound wench would eat too friggin' much, plus I'd have to use the 5,000 pound winch to get her in the truck!

And now, back to one of the funniest fuckin' threads in weeks!

25. studhud

studhud

I am much better now:D

Still Laughing my ass off at this tho!

BTT
    Dave Hitch

26. noxided

noxided

ok, i finnaly got the car, the only way we could get the car to move was a bobcat with a 6x8 on the front crossmember to get it to move. 3 guys could not rock the car, come along and ratchet traps ... nothing. It barely fit on the trailer, it had about 3 inches on each side and to get it off took about 2 hours, strap it to a tree and pull the trailer out from under it. The problem was that it did not want to come off straight so we had to keep jacking it up and moving it. lucklily not even a scratch or scuff and the truck pulled it over 300 miles at 65mph with no problem and the car did not even move a mm. Went perfect, just took way to long, i guess like some people say about this post.

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I would venture to guess you applied proportional and generous amounts of "The Three Ps" in your endeavor.