Register now to get rid of these ads!

409 advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Oct 29, 2010.

1. daddio211

daddio211

Hey fellas... I know all about the 348-409.com site, I'm just not ready to join another board right now. There are enough W experts here I'm sure I'll get a wealth of info. I'll join once I get ready to BUILD a 409, know what I mean?

I just picked up a '64-65 409 block with main caps. The numbers (3857656) indicate its for either car or truck, but the truck block is supposedly "relieved" to lower compression.

It appears that this block is relieved, at least to my untrained eye. The top of the deck has roughly a 3/8" section cast which appears to increase the combustion chamber size. Sorry, no pics at the moment. The block is in the back of my truck and my truck is about 2 miles away.

So my question is, if indeed this is a truck block is it even worth building? Ideally I'd like to build a stroker motor for my '60 Bel Air two door post, but I'm thinking this motor is the wrong thing to start with. But for free who can say no? :D

2. Grab it, it is totally worth building. You would be surprised how many hotrods actually have a truck block in em and the owners either dont know or wont let on...........!

3. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks Tman. I searched before I posted the question, but just came across the following quote on another thread here:

Verrrrrry interesting!

4. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

Yep, the 409 truck block is just as good as the car block. The notch at the top of the cylinder will drop your compression about three quarters of a point so is you want about 9.75 to 1 compression you use a 10.5 to 1 piston.

5. ROSS makes the pistons you need., PRW is also a good source for 409 bit's as well as CRV409parts.com, good luck. ISKY makes a cool valve-notching tool, if you need to lower those valve pockets for a high lift cam. BDM.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  6. Deuces

Deuces

You might as well start a in-process build (with pics) here on this thread... Now you got me all geeked up! :D....

Attached Files:

7. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

Just finished this one up, heres a little motivation for ya :)
    [​IMG]

How do I do the thumb nail thingy to shrink my pics? and Deuces beat me to it! :)

8. daddio211

daddio211

Hot damn guys, thank you! A buddy of mine gave it to me today. I saw the reliefs and thought "that's strange", but didn't want to look a gift 409 in the cylinder, LOL. I was pessimistically excited.

I figured at the very worst I had two things; one, a block for mock up purposes, and two, bragging rights that I owned a 409.

This is great news! Although this build is a few years away I'm stoked to know I'm on the right track. The plan is roughly 500 horse, aluminum heads (painted of course!) and dual quads, backed by a 5 speed in a street driven car. I think my '60 Bel Air is one hell of a suitor for it!

9. daddio211

daddio211

Awww man, you guys are KILLIN' me! I may have to start this project sooner than later!

10. Deuces

Deuces

All you have is the block to start with???..... You could probably make 500 ponies without strokin' it......

11. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

This is what the 409 is in also a 4 speed car. One of my more favorites.
    [​IMG]

12. One of the major issues with the engines were the incredible wieght of the stock cast piston. If you understand balancing at all, thats a excessive amount of "recipricating" weight, and that has caused it's share of bottom end failures. The ROSS pistons, as well as a lighter rod and pin will take care of that issue. Also, it uses the same oiling system as the first generation Big block Chevrolets- except the oil galley plugs on the side of the block by the pan rail were little press fit type plugs. If you do anything to the engine, even a stock rebuild, be sure to tap those and install pipe plugs. BDM

13. If I remember right, those plugs are around 1/4" in diameter? maybe 3/8"?

14. You nailed it Tman, tap with 1/8 27 NPT. BDM

15. Going by memopry, didn't do it on my last one, didn't know. But they are glued in with some of that sticky ass clear red gasket sealer, thanks for the tip.

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

my NSS 63 Belair runs a truck block. If it ever detonates, knock wood, it will be replaced by another truck block. As you have already noted, they are less expensive. They also have stronger webbing and are said to have better metalurgy.

My engine is bored/stroked to 482. I run dual quads and cast iron heads. The car weighs right at 4000 lbs. with my big ass in the seat.

Faded Memories runs consistant 10.50's and has run 10.43. Sixty foot times are right at 1.40.

So be HAPPY you have a truck block.

Now get a Pontiac/Olds rear end for your car. It will be period correct and if built/installed correctly, you won't be able to break it.

Get at it and keep us posted.

17. Tony

Tony

Yep yep, and yep :)
    Nothing at all wrong with the truck blocks. I've only heard the restorers say otherwise.
    I have a 65 truck block 409 that i will be putting in my 62 Impala, and will be running the Ross pistons for the lighter weight and to get the comp up where i want it..
    Car or truck, it's still a 409 :D

Tony

18. daddio211

daddio211

Man I feel like I hit the 409 lottery, LOL. So often I've heard "damn, its a truck block" but admittedly I've never heard that from someone who knew much about 409's.

I'll take and post some pics tomorrow. I'm not sure if the deck was cast like this, but it appears that some of the water jackets have been filled.... maybe to work with different heads?

19. Daddio after reading this:

"It appears that this block is relieved, at least to my untrained eye. The top of the deck has roughly a 3/8" section cast which appears to increase the combustion chamber size. Sorry, no pics at the moment. The block is in the back of my truck and my truck is about 2 miles away."

I'm not sure you have a truck block. In case you don't know and no one has mentioned it..... There is a wedge shaped area at the top of the cylinder bore that is formed by the angle of the deck surface (it's not 90 degree). That is NOT a compression relief, but is inherent to the W engine design.

H.

20. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Something you need to be aware of regarding the oil galley--as said earlier, it's in the pan rail area. Because of this, you can't run aftermarket splayed 4-bolt main caps. They DO sell them, and I've heard from guys who claim to know that there is no issue with them. Whatever. I've SEEN what happens: the outer bolts go through the thin part of the main webbing (which further weakens the webs anyway), and puncture the oil galley. Loss of oil pressure obviously results.

There's a junk passenger car block on the floor at Lamar Walden's shop, that is junk solely because it has splayed 4-bolt caps on it. (He's debated fixing it by running a steel tube down the galley to sleeve it, but the mains will still be weakened.)

-Brad

21. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Truck block, hell ya, here is a truck block..... Perfect for supercharging...

Attached Files:

22. Hung out at my pals yesterday in his room full of W motors. Dual quad 409 in a 33 Chevy, building a 34 Chevy roadster with a 4-71 blown 409. We looked over several blocks while we were bs'ing

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

T-man, I'll see your room full of W motors and raise you a 30'X60' building stuffed to the rafters with W motors and parts. There is a guy here that's been buying every W motor and part he could find for over 40 years. As an example, the last time I was there I stopped counting dual quad 409 intake and carb setups (complete and original) at 16. He's got complete exhaust systems (original Chevy issue) and camshafts in the original tubes stacked like cord wood. How about genuine gasket sets, bearings, rings, pistons, lifters, timing chain and gear sets, all in factory packaging. How about 30+ BW and Muncie transmissions and enough new parts to rebuild them all. There has got to be over 20 complete unmolested engines just like they were pulled out of the cars.
    In a separate building he has 9 (it could be more by now)complete original or restored 409/348 cars. He won the lottery a few years ago and the last thing he needs is MONEY. Nothing is for sale and he continues to ferret out cars and parts to fund his "RETIREMENT":rolleyes:. He is a great guy that just wants to be left alone and not badgered by everyone that wants to buy a 409 for $10. He reminds everyone who asks about how he got started by replying, "when I started to collect this stuff no body wanted it and the only automotive things I could afford was 348/409 parts and cars".

Frank

24. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

Its a shame that the guy you speak of is doing nothing with all that W motor stuff! To me, a hoarder is not helping the hobby at all. Keep what you intend to use and sell off the rest to let others build the motor of their dreams.

25. Well then, I won't lowball him.................I'll give him $20 for every 409 he has!:D;)

26. pdq67

pdq67

I bored my dump truck 409 block out to .060" and then installed 11.5 to 1 pistons in it and ran the GM stock 409 NASCAR solid lifter cam.

Sucker ran like a big SB on drugs!!

pdq67

27. I have access to what I was told is a 1965 truck 409...... someone took the hood off the car it was in (for 5 years) and now it seems to be locked up......water will do that ya know????.....anyway, I can get it as-is for $425....worth it ???
    I am building a '37 Chevy coupe...already have an LT1 ready to go in....but a 409 is just NEAT !!!

Will the 409 bolt up to a 4L-60 tranny?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010