Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 230 to 250 Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66miles99, Oct 16, 2010.

1. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

run it compression is fine, my 230 is a stum pulling mo-fo runs great.

2. 10% of 120 is 12; 10% of 110 is 11; either way all are within 10% of one another, so it's fine. A six will run just about forever short of swallowing a valve, I wouldn't dick with it unless it was way down on power.

3. R Pope

R Pope

If it's a truck the 292 will fit with no hood clearance issues. One mount tower has to be moved, though.
    The 250 crank and pistons will work without balancing as long as you're happy with factory spec's.
    With those comp. numbers, I wouldn't get all excited about a rebuild for a while. For a driver, there isn't enough variation to indicate a teardown. I've seen fresh engines with no better #'s than that! Of course, if there are other problems, like loose valve guides or bottom end rattles, go ahead and rebuild it.
    If the 230 needs a rebore, the $50 250 crank makes sense, you need new pistons anyway.

4. A 292 is what only like 1" tall in the lifter area. I don't think your motor now is that tight of a fit is it for that to matter?

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Absent other issues, it any, those numbers indicate it don't need overhauled.

6. ganga

ganga

I think a 194 head may get more compression.......consider a cam change and run the 230.....shorter stroke ,plenty of torque and easier revs.

7. bob308

bob308

i like the 250 better. but with no smoke no rattles and a comp.test like that i would run it just like it is. if i wanted to build a motor i would fine a yard 230-250 and build that one then when the time comes just change motors.

8. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

At 110 we are getting to the lower end of the scale are we not? I realize there were no really big variations which was good and from what I've heard it running aside from lifter noise nothing else. As for power I wouldn't really know what to expect its my first I6 so I have nothing to compare it too. Hey, I'm not committed to wasting money by any means, I'm sure there are tons of other things that will need replacing if this isn't one of them then I'm ahead.

9. uglydog56

uglydog56

The 302 in my mustang runs fine with 105# of compression. Yes it's worn, but why fix it if it isn't broke? For now, put the multiple carbs on it and the split manifold for maximum cool points - these are parts that can be swapped onto your 250 later if that's the way you decide to go.

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I don't think so. I don't know what the 230 blueprint compression reading would be, but the 230 readings have to be less than a 250, 230 having the same bore, shorter stroke than a 250. My 250 readings right after overhaul were around 120, haven't checked after it got broken in. The 230/250 combustion chambers are nearly the same, withing about 5cc.

Generally speaking, when compression is down, I would do a valve job first, before doing a ring job anyhow.

I would gear the 230 different than the 250, run lower rearend gear ratio with the 230 because it stands to reason the peak torque curve will be at a higher rpm, (shorter stroke)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  11. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

Really #120 right after the rebuild? I am surprised.

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

After breaking in I would hope for 125-130, but like I said I've never checked it again, it's running strong and have not been tasked to do so. Maybe someday when I change the sparkplugs........ I've got 16k on it since that OH, maybe it's time to check............:)

13. inlinr6

inlinr6

230 and 250 share the same bore 3.875,same rod5.7 stroke is 3.25 for the 230 and 3.530 for the250. parts are available ,dont mickey mouse with v8 pistons .if you have a crank and are going to rebuild it,might as well get the extra cubes,comp cams makes mild to wild cams langdon stovebolt sells parts and nice cast headers for easy duals.if you run dual carbs get a manifold that has water heated passage to help fuel distribution,bigger carb and headers wake up the 6 and expect more than 15 extra horse.for unlimited info check inliners international.

14. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

Just getting the shipping worked out with Tom @ Langdon's dual carters offy intake, with heat plate, the header I have planned is like a Lake style, just the value of a rebuild in question now.
    I would be interested to know if you did, nothing like a fall tune-up :).

15. inlinr6

inlinr6

I was lucky enogh to be part of a 2 week dyno session in Dysart Ia.with several inliners including Tom Langdon severa heads cams and intakes ,making over200hp.so dont under estimate hp.Plus if your making a driver I would just use the 230 with a cam, intake and exhaust.that will wake up that 6.post some pics when you get there,and good luck!

Attached Files:

16. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

Well 200hp is out of my range and wallet depth but nice to know it is possible. If I could squeeze more hp than I'm anticipating then that would be great though. I guess my idea for the rebuild is diminishing if I don't need to I'm not going to crack er open, just bolt on some goodies and go. I will start a build post soon, just gathering parts and intel right now.

17. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

It'll let me know when it needs a tune, if it ain't complainin', I don't fix. Am curious about the compression though. Of course if I do pull the plugs for that, at the prices they sell for, the old ones ain't going back in. :)

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went out to the garage and dug out my 1972 Chiltons and the compression for a 230 Chev six is listed at 130lbs. That makes yours to appear in pretty decent shape.

Do what you want but I'd work on getting it tuned up as well as I could right now and go from there.

19. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

So I'm wondering what the low end of that range would be? Surely you wouldn't want less than 100lbs ?
    I though it was interesting the center 3 chambers were the lowest, I've heard the factory intake does not evenly distribute the fuel mixture and favours the center chambers. Maybe that would account for it? Although with only 10lbs difference it could be anything.
    Either way the new 2 carb setup should be a great improvement.

20. David Chandler

David Chandler

If you are on a tight budget, pick up an HEI system and put an advance curve kit in it. Also a 292 exhaust manafold with a larger outgoing pipe, until you can figure out what your next step will be. Likewise put an adapter on the intake for a larger 2bbl.
    However if you are serious about moving something fairly heavy, by all means use the 250 crank and pistons for more bottom end. And if you are getting that deep into it, have the valve size increased to the next size (1.84's and 1.60), and have the head milled to bump up the compression.
    Good Luck!

21. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

So update is 230 stays the way it is, no rebuild for now, Tom at Langdon's provided me with a dual carter/offy intake system and an HEI dizzy. There is a build post started on the whole project, engine requirement luckily is still a bit in the future. I am hoping this will be enough pop for the old girl, will definitly need to get the weight down to compensate for cc's.

22. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

OK so invested some time and money here, might invest some more. Thinking about horsepower 8 vs 6. 6 looks cooler no doubt but with a 4 speed tranny and 4:10 gears hows that going to feel? I am hoping with the lower gears and the torque there should still be some rubber burning power there?

Also cam choice if I decide to get a little more out of it??any suggestions?

I just get worried when I read thru posts on 6's and owners talk gas mileage, its like saying the fat girl has a great personality.... what I wanna know is the fat girl fun too!!!

23. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

So any thoughts about a cam for a 230? I'm a little concerned that 230 is gonna come up short on ponies.

24. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

66miles99: did you come up with a cam? im in the same boat you are... have you already rebuilt your 230.. if so how did it turn out? any list of parts you used.. i am about to rebuild one and just trying to do some research. thanks john

25. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

No, didn't buy a cam or anything more for HP on the ol sixer. Might bolt it in and see how it feels before I drop more $$$.

26. I had a stock 230 in my '63 Biscayne, and it went just fine. Yeah, had to rev it a bit, but the torque range on that motor was well matched. Then I put a lump port head on the bastard and it really got fun! Granted, the 4bbl, split manifold 292 in the car now is a LOT more fun...

If you haven't yet, I'd check out Leo Santucci's Chevy Inline 6 power manual - he even has multiple cam suggestions from people, including Tom. I'm pretty sure I have an extra copy I can send you, if you're interested. Leo knows his stuff.

27. Not to hijack, but I want to state that I disagree with Tom on this. True, with the stock 1-bbl carb(s) on the motor, it wouldn't fit...but I have a 292 in my '63 Biscayne (look left<----) and granted, it's a tight hood fit with an Offy Manifold, Edelbrock 500CFM carb and a triangular Edelbrock foam air cleaner...but it fits. I suppose the hoodline on your 64 could be different...but I wouldn't think by much if at all.

At least with my car, there was no option for lowering the mounts; I used the stock 230 pan and unless you're planning to make huge changes to the crossmember, there's no room. YMMV.

28. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

Yah its sitting on my night stand now, some really good info in there.

29. 66miles99

66miles99
    from Canada

Recent discussions suggest a Clifford 264 is a real good option for a driveable 230-250 with some intake and exhaust work done.

30. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

66miles99: I dropped my block and head off at "Revhead" here on the hamb's machine shop. since i had a 230 we are going with a new 250 crank. and i am going with the cam that he suggested... going with 307 pistons, hope to get it back pretty soon. ill let yall know how it goes..