Register now to get rid of these ads!

V8-60 front axles: an appreciation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yep sure does,..... I just had a fellow call me about the last one today, looks like it will be going to California. (where Franks roadster is). It hung on the wall for a very long time, But I really wanted to see it get used on the "right" car,.. looks like that's exactly what is going to happen.

I have several fixtures and jig's from Frank that he used when he built the Roadster,... they are crude and not pretty, but made to preform a job, and that they did flawlessly,... I recently realized I was never going to use that last axle,... and decided it needed to fill its purpose. :)

Soooooo,...... what are the plans for old #3 ? :D

2. showrod

showrod

originally I bought it to build a kookie type T bucket they are beautiful axles.
    with the old chrome on this one I wonder if it ever served time under franks T?

3. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

very interesting bones..got more info on those ?

4. SinisterSpeed

SinisterSpeed
    from Reno, NV

I personally love these V8-60 tube axles! They look very cool and unique with such a "tighter" looking front end. The only downside to these, however, is when using Schroeder steering with 5.00-16 ribbed Firestones, the tires rub on a hard left hand U turn, but on 4.50-16 Firestones they don't. It is kinda funny that you guys are concerned with the integrity and strength of these axles, when we actually drilled ours out!! I can think of about 50 other places of integral concern on these old Fords, and these axles are NOT one of them. Kind of like anything else, you just gotta find a good one...

[​IMG]

5. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

maybe if they were cast with some sort of lighter then metallighter then steel cores in them? or maybe they cast the ends and bone mounts and then welded on the pre cut tubes and then metal finished them. or some sort of centrifuge casting(all the metal goes to the outside) if theres a hole in the bone/spring perch mounts, maybe it was sand casted and after the casting was dry they knocked the sand out of it through the hole.

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

How rare could they really be? I have one! :)

This sounds like someone has found a dozen and is pumping for EBay fish...........:)

Attached Files:

7. Harms Way

Harms Way

Not Me buck-a-roo,..... sold my last one yesterday,....... I'm all done,...

8. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Model A with yoke ends machined from 4130 plate.

Right side yoke is welded solid to the wishbone, the bolt is actually lathe turned and threaded from bar stock and has a ball head for the shock link socket to mount.

Left side yoke pivots on greaseable bolt similar to right.

9. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Did some re-reading of previous posts of Kevin Lee and Harms Way and discussed with old (two years younger than I) knowlegeable tool and die maker/rodder.

Our conclusion is, they are as Kevin suggests, an all, one piece forging.

The ends would be "headed" much the same as a bolt is cold headed to upset the steel bar stock from which it is made and form the hex, except this would have been done hot out of the forge in die sets. There were probably subsequent forming and piercing dies.

The slight flattening of the tube and the curvature and perhaps final shaping of the ends could have been done in a final press hit/die set.

Maybe Henry had a wet dream after seeing how Bugatti made his axles (one piece forgings with square holes pierced through the axle for the semi-elliptical springs to pass through) and was trying to be creative.

10. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

11. jambottle

jambottle

here is a picture of my early bell narrowed axle.when i bought it i was told it was ordered for an anglia gasser.It`s NOS.also a scan of 50+ year old speedway catalog.it shows the V8-60 dropped replacement.

Attached Files:

12. jambottle

jambottle

had to try the camera.

Attached Files:

13. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Did Bell offer the stock V8 60 perch pin width on thier dropped axles? I always assumed it was A thru 34 with only

14. jambottle

jambottle

i think you can read the last speedway scan .it says the axle bosses are the later 21/4.

15. I'd question the supposed age on that Speedway catalog; the type seems a little too modern for a catalog from 1960 (or earlier). The slogan "get it in the weeds" seems a little too modern, too. Does it have a date listed anywhere on it (cover, title page, etc)?

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

Your right,... Jim Ewing started "Super Bell" in 1975.

17. jambottle

jambottle

sorry about that!my mistake;it`s a 1986 speedway catalog.(26 year old ?)Too many brain cells got destroyed over the years!

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

I am fairly certain that your Super Bell is 1979 or newer,.. from 1975 to 1978 they only welded the mating surface between the tube and the ends, some of these welds were having cracking problems, so in 1979 they started to do a stake or button weld about 2" in from the weld on the top, and about 1" in from the weld on the bottom ,.... I think I see that button weld on your axle,..... they are still cool,... but I have always liked "I" Beams.

19. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

I just aquired this earlier in the week

49 thru 54 Chevy Spindle based

Center to Center KINGPIN = 36.5 inches
    Center to Center PERCH = 24 inches
    KINGPIN Boss = 2.125 inches

How much distance would vintage 1962 Corvette drum brakes add per side in terms of:

Outside Hub contact patch surface to the KINGPIN center?

Anglia/Austin Gasser based?

Thank You.

Attached Files:

20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Mine also had some punch mark dimpling on one side when I first got it. I almost didn't buy it for that reason. Thought it might have been an attempt to straighten it. I guess the chrome shop got them out.

The Grabowski tribute car below I think is the one von Dyck is talking about. I also saw it at the Back to the '50 show in Minn. a few years ago. The axle looked so good I didn't question it. The owner had to point it out to me. Then I saw it wasn't oval but round. Wish now I had taken more pictures of it.

Wondering if anyone else noticed the king pin bolt holes were smaller than Ford I beam axle holes.

Attached Files:

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

A lot of parts that could kill you were given one of the dimple type tests...you will find the dimples (2, on most) on 100% of Ford pitman arms.

22. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Hey Bruce...Could you expound a little on the "dimple type tests" you speak of. Never realized such. I need to go look at a pitman arm. Thank you...DD

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I have no idea what test I am talking about, but someone on here clarified it for me in an earlier post.
    If you look closely at a pitman arm you will find at least one dimple that looks like the impact of a BB in size. This is from one of the standard surface tests in which a ball bearing is driven into a piece of metal at a known pressure to indicate hardness by depth of resulting dent...100% of pitman arms were tested to ensure they were properly heat treated. I have not looked around yet but I plan to look over spindles and see what I find...
    Ford suspension/steering forgings were made from proprietary Ford developed steels and heat treated, often with different heat treatments fo different areas of the part. Rear axles, for instance, had I think 3 different ones, presumably spider gear, shaft area, and tip/bearing area.

24. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Hi Bruce:

The test is refer to as a "Rockwell Hardness" test.

The other method of Hardness test is refered to as a "Brinell Hardness"

25. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Bruce...I thought I knew a little bit, but YOU never cease to amaze...YOU sir, "know some stuff". Some of the lengths Ford went-to, behind the scenes, are amazing in retrospect. Just as amazingly, WE all take rosebuds to these pitman arms and spindle arms now-a-days to bend them in pretzel shapes, probably NOT doing those heat-treats ANY good...CARNAGE & BLASPHEMY! Thanks again, Bruce. DD

26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

One of my recent finds was a Ford 1930's metallurgy text...not an advanced one, but one used in an apprentice program. Look at the four end pockets of an axle...one will likely say "EE-#" or "AA-#"...those are two Ford steel formulas. I was able to find the main recipe ingredients for those in the book, and one of the elaborate heat treatments used for that EE grade in the book...lots of cool stuff going on at Ford. They were leaders in casting, forging, and metals in general, and the book shows that they used mostly their own steels, very few of the types were standard SAE formulae. Their are reasons that so many Fords survived compared to Chevies, and reasons they survived insane mistreatment by rodders! Next, go to Google advanced patents and research Ford assigned patents of the thirties and '40's...Holy Crap!!
    I've posted some of this stuff, like patents associate with the A and the deuce...

27. They were made one year to try and save money.

They would be easy to repop and one could actually be made a little heavier wall to make them a little more durable.

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Easy?? Two forgings, with some parts on the boss so light that you couldn't possibly substitute casting, and a shaped oval tube...these are not at all like most aftermarket axles made of a bent round tube welded to two short stubs of tubing. Not simple, and requires serious forging ability.

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And they were made/used over at least three years in limited production, with another 2 versions run on the Model 62 overseas. This was a serious low-volume test of an alternate way of manufacturing axles...the production ruins of a hundred or so at a time makes them real damn scarce, and I think most were found and used up by sprint car builders long ago.

30. alchemy

alchemy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod
    The Ford tubular axle perch/axle bolt holes had the mounting seats welded to the axle body on top and bottom. A friend of mine has one which has one of the upper perch hole bosses popped loose. They were obviously welded to the tube but not stick-welded, something along the lines of fusion welding Ford loved so much.

OK, since this thread came back up I need to apologize to Pasadena. I recently purchased one of the tube axles with the separate perch bosses. And it looks as if one of mine came loose at one time and was rewelded on as well. There is no even bead all around the boss, just a fine line where the two parts meet.