Register now to get rid of these ads!

best way to laod 5000 lbs car on trailer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noxided, Oct 28, 2010.

1. noxided

noxided

Picking up a 63 lincoln saturday and ive never loaded a car this big on a trialer that does not run. All i have is 3 man power and ratchiting straps. Any other sugestions? My way works but Im hoping you guys have better ways.

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:)

[​IMG]

A tractor is a BIG help ... :rolleyes:

3. noxided

noxided

ive done that but the body on this car is to nice and bumpers to rare.

4. noxided

noxided

oh and i dont have a car trailer, its just a 25ft trailer for a tractor and brush hog.

5. troylee

troylee

get a wench or a come a long. If you have another truck, pull it up on the trailer.

6. saints

saints

yep come-along get ya 2 of them and use them

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

if you have access to a block and tackle, or a good pulley, you can rig it to pull the car on with another vehicle pulling from the side.

bring extra chains, too. you will need the length to reach the car when it is still on the ground. As you winch it along, you can unhook some chain and grab another bite with the winch.

bring a big hammer to rap on the brake drums if they are seized. bring dish soap to grease the ramps if the wheels still won't turn.

8. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

You could always use a snath block attached to the front of the trailer then use another truck to put it on.

9. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

My Dad and I pulled a 74 Monaco 4 door sedan up onto a trailer built to haul bobcat tractors ( read : taller than regular car trailer ) with two come-alongs and chains....the front u-joint blew up while the front tires crested the top of the ramps.............F**K F**K F**K.......................and down she went...brakes were sketchy........and this was in the middle of a Minnesota farm on a VERY cold and windy MN day.....took a while but it worked, only a few feet at a time, chock the wheels and remove slack from the chains...continue.

and it comes off the same way.

Unless you can use the surrounding higher ground if any to assist in the loading.

10. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

not as hard as it sounds. from experience when i bought my suburban which weighs well over 6,000lbs i found out it wouldn't fit all the way on the trailer..... needed to be up another 2-3 feet. but i had no other way so i went half the speed and drove 4 hours over a mountain pass (with no spare as a tire blew on the way to pick it up) and by the grace of god made it back! never gonna do that again!
    so yes you should have no problem

11. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

easiest is buy a come-a-long, get one with some length to the cable so you can drag it up with one hookup. i ended up pulling the winch off of my bronco and mounted it to the front of my trailer...sense i never get stuck in my bronco:D

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

...and dont forget your air tank for the flat tires.

13. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

weird, I blew a tire on my 3/4 ton Ram on the way home during the tow I was mentioning and the one spare fit the tire, I was crossing my fingers all the way back....

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

That makes me cringe just looking at it.:eek:

As for using a wench, don't bother. They just bet bitchy when you tell them to push 'cause they don't want to ruin their nails. A winch, however, will be a big help.:p

15. smarg

smarg

A good "Come Along" and you and your friends will be out of there in no time.

Having a good loading zone also helps alot, pick a good spot were you can get the ramps as flat as you can.

16. ScottV

ScottV

When I had to load (and move) my St. Regis I had most of the 2008 Nebraska State Champion Offensive line at my disposal.

17. TERPU

TERPU

Good Come along and some good heavy chain, dish soap to slide the flat or frozen wheels and smooth ramps. You may laugh at the dish soap, right up until you try it. It's like greased moose snot, but it washes off an leaves your hands clean. Just a little though in front of the wheels as it goes a long ways. No tractors, I've never seen this end well with rookies at the helm.

Tim

I know Duece Roadster is a pro, but that pricture makes me cringe. One slip and oh Man nothing but tears.

18. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

just go buy a cheap boat trailer winch it will be 50 bucks well spent the 1600 lbs one pulled my roadmaster on my trailer np and if you can find a ditch or a hill that always helps loading and unloading a car

19. squirrel

squirrel

my trailer has a slight bow to it after I hauled a 69 lincoln on it. Dang those things are heavy

20. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

very simple....

jack knife the trailer.......use a secong vehicle to pull it up nthe trailer.....

and I would use a pulling strap....but if you have only a chain or use a come a long....use a heavy blanket on the chain or cable to protect your self in caes it breaks

and use a saftey chain while pulling it up

but a good winch is a great idea....

I have a 8000lb cheapo winch on my trailer....

and remember to hsve good tounge weight....

and srtap it down in four points

good luck

21. Zombie Duck

Zombie Duck

I used a big heavy duty come along and some chains to load my 55 pontiac, it had flat tires too but I got it up there. I tied it to the the telephone pole at the house and drove the trailer out from under it to get it off. ;)

22. mrforddude

mrforddude

Speaking from years of experience in using a trailer to haul stuff (read: professional-amatuer LOL) use a good come-a-long. If you can get one that uses a strap instead of cable they are better (no cable barbs to get into your hands) and as already mentioned while useing the hand winch/come-a-long have a chain/strap hooked to the car just in case something breaks (my usual luck) and you don't lose all your progress.

Another tip is to wear gloves, if you don't do this everyday you will wind up with blisters or at least some sore hands as those old heavy ass cars take a lot of pulling.

And of course as already put out there your loading area will make it easy or kill you, try to pick a spot that is nearly level or a slight bit uphill. The reason for up hill is you don't want that heavy ass Lincoln to crest over the trailer and then gain momentum and crash into the back of your (or your buddy's) truck...

You said you were going to use an equipment trailer; that's great as long as it doesn't have sides as a lot of those big cars won't hardly fit on a old pipe top trailer without rubbing both sides (yeah I found that one out).

Good luck and just take your time and be careful. It's hard to work on your new project without the use of one of your limbs...

23. flamed34

flamed34

[​IMG]http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-electric-winch-39997.html

We've had one of these cheap winches for about 10 years and pulled everything imaginable. I even pulled a '57 plymouth with blown tires sideways about 10 feet to get it parked out of the way. To load on a trailer, we run a short length of chain around the front of the trailer and thru the base plate.

24. raidmagic

raidmagic

Just go buy a decent come-along and get to work. I loaded a 51 Pontiac Chieftan with 4 flat tires from the woods with one, not fun but doable. :D

25. big bad john

big bad john

...........All the things mention before this post.......Here in Wisconsin.....we bring a 12 pack of beer with...just in case we have a problem.......Big Bad John

26. rockinokie

rockinokie

If you use a come along, get a decent one. I had one break but lack of sleep over a 48 hr period had me and my buddies minds not working right.

We drove to Indiana from Oklahoma straight there and back. Loaded the car no problem. When we got back it was about 4am and raining cats and dogs. We decided to hook up the come along and unhook the ratchet straps and tie downs. ...There was more slack in the come along than we had realized (lack of sleep). The car rolled back, snapped the come along and rolled off the trailor. One of the brakes were dragging so the wheels cut and the car turned headed for a tree and it was moving quick. Luckily at the last minute the wheels cut even more and the car rolled right where I wanted it anyway.

For a moment I was watching my dream car (59 Cadillac) headed for its first collision....only hours after I had purchased it.

Just be safe and use your head. ...unlike I did.

27. outcast13

outcast13

Carefully ........

28. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

I just knew someone was going get down to basics!:D

And, you have not trailered until you have driven
    to Salina,Ks in a sleet storm and loaded a big Buick with a hand crank winch, then driven back to the motel.
    On the way, you find all the restaurants closed except the Kentucky Fried Chicken and K.Mart.
    Wings and beer at midnite for supper/breakfast aint all that bad.

If you want to know about loading any non running car, just ask BenD.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  29. This method will work. Me and a friend put a 70 Lincoln on to a farm trailer with this method and it worked fine.But remember to lower the drivers door window before you do it as the doors won't open when you get it loaded if you have something other than a car trailer.
    Dang that thing pulled heavy down the road ...and we had no trailer brakes.

30. noxided

noxided

Well thanks guys, i typically use ratchet straps to pull up cars but i dont think i will work as easy on this one. So I am going to pick up a heavy duty come-along and use it with the addition of a ratchet strap for safety. I will definatly leave the window down so i can climb out " luckly the last car I did this with had a targa top". I have a F-250 Diesel so pulling it wont be an issue, but no trailer brakes so stoping will be an issue. When i get home, i'll tie it to a tree and have me fiance steer it off the trailer.