Register now to get rid of these ads!

1944 GMC Pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamshumard, Sep 23, 2010.

1. rainh8r

rainh8r

My 45 flatbed has no bright trim at all. If the truck was built in '44, the trim was probably added later, as there wasn't any bright trim 42-45. Truck demand was huge during the war, so it wasn't a 42 sitting around until 44 unless a dealer was playing with the documents (not unknown). Take the engine serial number from the surface next to the distributor and see if it matches the VIN on the title (it should also give you engine size). If not, ask the owner to show you a matching VIN on the truck to prove the title is really for that truck. Lots of different things were done for expediency during the war, so who knows what the real story is on this one. There should be a casting date on the engine too, although I don't remember exactly where on the GMC's.

2. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

All 41-47 GMC had metal beds. Model # on plate on firewall should id year. CC-100 designates a 1941 1/2 ton.

3. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Another thing to note is war year GM trucks did not get the welds on the lower half of the windshield post ground down.I was told it was to save grinding stones and lead. My 45 chevy still had the welds on the post.Another thing is they did not use much rubber (no floormats and leather around the gas tank filler tube)

4. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

Correctly restored war trucks are very rare. Someone usually adds chrome. If it is a 44, restore it.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to agree that war era (WWII) vehicles didn't have any chrome on them. At least none I have seen have had any. But as someone suggested it is quite conceivable that whoever first had the truck may have swapped the chrome trim over on it. Or the owner could have done it in later years to make it look like a new truck.
    I would make sure I was thorough in checking the vin and other items that could document the truck. Both to as to it being the correct year as advertised and that the truck is actually the truck the title is for. There is always that chance the truck is a 41,46 or 47 that has been running the wrong title for the past 50 years.

6. guitar man

guitar man
    from Tulsa OK

Yeah I agree, somebody adding the chrome trim later is a pretty logical explanation too.

If I had the truck, I would try to restore it as close to original as possible, i think a very correct restoration could be worth a good chunk of change to the right collector.

7. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this..(I didn't read all of the way through) You're or the truck is likely a late 41 or early 42, By late 1944 Aircraft production had slowed down quite a bit and car companies began to release trucks (important tools for farmers to use during the war effort) that were stored away for military use but not purchased by the army or navy as they were excess to the particular contract. but saved for future contract fulfillment, so it would be titled as a 1944 year model and probably spent it's infancy in a warehouse in detroit somewhere.

I read that in hemmings...so it MUST be true;)......I say restore it!

8. Theres a guy in chicago that runs a magic show out of an old wood shack built on the back of one of those heavy duty war era trucks. (Mr. G's)? It's beyond cool!!!!

9. Panhead Joe

Panhead Joe

Did you get the truck?