Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anti Freeze out of Carpeting???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KoolKat-57, Oct 25, 2010.

1. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

My heater control valve decided at the age of 53 it was time to retire.:eek:
    It went out with a bang, and cried all over my shoes and driver side carpeting!
    Shoes are fine (American made Redwings), but the carpet is pretty soaked.
    I used towels to soak most of it up, but it's still "greasy feeling"!
    Any ideas on the final clean up?:confused:

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Bissel carpet vac or rent a machine to do carpet at your grocery store .Make sure it has attachments for stairs,

3. Remove the carpet, lather it up with a scrub brush and grease disolving soap (Sunlight dish detergent) then blast it with a pressure washer.

4. just plain water! antifreeze is water soluble. suck it up and let it dry.

5. Carpet cleaner from the super market fill it with hot water soak the rug down with "Formula 409" , let it soak in and draw out with the carpet cleaner and hot water. It may take a couple of times then find a warm place to park the car and dry out. When the water in the cleaner looks more like water than mud your done. Rob.

6. ajwhiskey51

ajwhiskey51

I hear dogs really love the taste of it, find some strays.

7. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

That's the ticket,right there.

8. My 65 dart just puked out the fresh air vent .Soaked up with towels with some weight on them. Then I scrubbed it down with 409 cleaner plenty of fresh water on sucked it up with the wet vac. Came out cherry.

9. Why not give it a try yourself? :rolleyes:

10. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

i find just hanging carpets up in a good rainstorm does wonders then let it sun dry can't get much easier than tyhat

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just sell your carpet to someone in the 'frozen' north.

12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Thanks to all for your advice!
    This weekend I will clean the mess up.

13. x2...Idiot!

14. ajwhiskey51

ajwhiskey51

I didn't realise the HAMB was filled with such sensitive souls, so sorry. It was a joke, relax! On the other hand I bet if I would have mentioned cats instead of dogs nobody would have given a shit.

15. I've done this more times then I can count.....Pays real good money..:D Unfortunately for you, it's winter. I hope you have a garage with heat. Pull the carpet, THIS IS MANDATORY. I've gotten carpet "dry" to the touch and had puddles underneath the insulation. Dry the floor. Lay out the carpet on the concrete and hose the carpet out. Then let it dry. re-install. Done.

16. That's a real shitty joke, sorry but you just ain't funny. Better stick to your day job.

17. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I used to work at a radiator shop and cleaned it up all the time from leaky heater cores.

Just use lots of water, then shop vac it up, repeat until it no longer feels slimy.

Works great.

18. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Have your neighbors pain in the ass barking dog lick it out.

19. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

more water, then vac it, then more water, then vac it, more water, and so on...

had to do it when my heater core blew in my bird