Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Beside the Barn" willys find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ME.GASSER, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

This picture just made a mess in my pants.I think I might be jealous.

2. 406s10

406s10

so will us mainers get to see this car at oxford or winterport when its done? its great to see finds like this still exist in the northeast.

3. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

that is one neat story thanks for sharing your find

4. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well for the next chapter of this story. We have decided to sell the car. My husband has decided that he wants to build something to take down the track and with the history that this car has we just don't want to take the chance of doing a restoration on the car and then have something happen to it. We have someone who knows the history of it and lives very close to the original builder/driver that is coming to look at it this coming week. It is a very cool car.

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

awesome car see if you can get the new owner to post some restoration pictures if he buys it id love to see it redone back to former glory

6. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. slammed

slammed

A mighty fine story, thank's for posting it up!

8. ro51_hemi

ro51_hemi
    from York,Pa

great pictures Wanda tell Larry I said Hi.

9. That would be a dream come true for me... really a coo lfind!!!

10. billys54

billys54

11. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

I love this! and not to far from home!

Can't wait to see more of this

-Josh

12. Gassy

Gassy
    from Tennessee

Gasser Girl,
    Surely you're going to keep this ole girl after all that excitement I saw in your face at BG. Is this early April Fools?

13. So I guess my suggestion of a coat of primer and a run into town for burgers isn't gonna happen :( (along with the mandatory "stand her on the bumper" on the way home :D).

Well at least it's not just sitting and rotting behind that barn anymore. To be honest (here comes the shit storm :eek:) the history isn't important to me ... I'd much rather drop a SBC and a 4-gear in it, (yeah, I know ... it really needs a hemi but not for what I have in mind) put her back on the road and rack up the miles (not talking "cruise nights" ... I mean DRIVE IT). Just my opinion ... doesn't mean I'm right :). (I'm thinking something similar to the grey Willys in "Hot Rod" the movie).

Later

14. maddog1949

maddog1949

15. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Geez.... great read so far. We gotta meet up someday! So close but yet so far... LOL
    Pontiac Slim

16. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Nice Willys...... I would be proud to own a car like that... and make the effort to save it and enjoy driving it.. What a cool piece...

17. please keep us posted on it if the person buys it or not .
    It is a really cool ride with a really cool history .

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

This was a great story and to find such a great piece of drag racing history is getting harder to find these day . It really doesn't look that bad at all . Looks to still be very solid even sitting outside in the hard winters of the North East ! I wish you would still keep it and restore the car . You can still have lots of fun racing it at specialty drag racing shows ! I understand about worrying about something happening to it if something goes wrong but they can be rebuilt !
    If the new owners do buy the car , they must join the HAMB and keep us all posted on the rebuild . I am sure the original owners and car driver are very excited to see their Mystery car coming back home again after all these years !
    Great find and thanks for sharing such a great story to all of us !

Retro Jim

19. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will don.

20. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jr,
    Good to hear from you. Yeah i knew this would shock you. We have never aquired one of these cars and let it go but all it took was one trip down the track for larry at Manasses and he was hooked. It has been a very hard decision.
    Wanda

21. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your very welcome retro jim.

22. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually our plan was a small block and we had purchased a 283 because that's what ran in the car back in the day and also a 4 speed.

23. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slim,
    Anytime you want to get together just let us know. We had a gentleman here this weekend from hollowel. He just purchased an all steel willys coupe out of Missouri. He wanted to come and see all of ours. We had a great time with him. He's here on the site too.
    Wanda

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Those hard gut wrenching decisions can be be cured and smoothed over with a bottle of Pepto Bismal and huge stacks of $100 bills. Not that that would ever enter into anyone's mind.:rolleyes::eek::D

Frank

25. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey and thanks.... Think'n that I'll try and get over that way next season... I'll give you plenty of warning LOL
    Pontiac Slim

26. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just wanted to update everyone with a report on the Mystery Willys. We tried to sell this car hoping that someone would buy it and restore it as "The Mystery Willys" We had a few tire kickers but no real interest. I have decided not to restore the car as raced. I am building another all steel coupe. I'm keeping all the fiberglass components that were original to the car and leaving the chasis with it's unique suspension intact. These pieces will be kept in storage. As for the project we will post pictures of what i have done so far.

27. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

^^That's good news....sort of. I think The Mystery Willys would've been neat.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  28. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Donor sedan for the project. This car was given to me by a friend. It had been hit in the back and the frame was heavily damaged.

30. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car will sit on this mint 40 coupe frame that i bought a few years ago. Sorry for the one at a time picture but it seems that that is all the computer can handle today.[​IMG]