Register now to get rid of these ads!

17" 1933 Wires on a 53 f-100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goodlife, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Goodlife

Goodlife

I was wondering if there would be any problem with putting a nice set of powder coated 17" wire wheels from 33-34 on a a 53 f-100 pick up. The bolt pattern is 5 on 5 1/2 for both so is there any reason they would't work? Tires are big and little bias so they look good and I think the wires would dress up the old dog, but is there a fitment problem? Your 2 cents.

2. F&J

F&J

Way too skinny at maybe 3-1/4" ?? and likely not strong enough for that size truck.

Then you'd need to read up on "spacer rings" to support the inner part of the wheel hub when using those later drums.

3. Andy

Andy

You will also need about a 1 1/2" thick wheel adapter so the back ring on the wires will miss the brake drum. Ever noticed how '40 Ford drums are stepped? The truck will look and drive terrible.

4. NealinCA

NealinCA

Aint it against the "rules" to put older wheels/hubcaps on a hot rod or custom?

5. There's about 500 lbs difference between a 33 Ford and an Effie. I would think the wheels would be OK

6. I've seen old type wires on a s-10 pickup. I think it's a hambers, but I can't find any pictures of it.

7. madpole

madpole

just because you can............

8. poweredbylincoln

poweredbylincoln
    BANNED

although the bolt patterns the same the wires wont bolt right up the drum face is different maybe u can run adapters even thought u already have 5 on 5 1/2

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do what you want, worse thing that can happen is that photos of the truck will get passed around the net with a "hey look at this" snicker snicker. I'm sure that the r--r-- boys and girls will love it though.

Way back when I was in high school there was an Effie here locally that ran 15 inch Chrome Chrysler wires. I think they were off and early 50's Imperial and that truck always looked sharp as hell to me. I wanted those wires for my 51 Merc at the time.

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

I think weight would be another issue aside from looking way out of place.

11. Goodlife

Goodlife

Safty being a first priority, you have raised some doubts so I will abandon that notion. Out of bordom or letting my imagnation have rein, I just wondered about that combination as the cooky cutter hot rods of today bore me as such and I was just day dreaming.I have recognized the falicy of that thought and will move on. Thanks.

I found 10,000 ways not to invent a light bulb. Thomas Edison

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks for re-thinking this combo! Common sense on the HAMB board is often sorely missing, but you're a shining example of posting a question, getting good answers, and then LISTENING. Good for you!

Brian

I won't even bother to comment on how goofy that would have looked!;)