Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods American Graffiti Build Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tripple G, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Tripple G

Tripple G

:confused: Looking for some suggestions....I'm building a '32 American Graffiti 5-Window Coupe. It has a GM Performance 350 SBC Crate Motor. The intake manifold is an Offenhauser 4X2 and the carburetors are 2bbl Rochester 2GV's. Linkage is EELCO setup for a 4X2. Speed package was purchased from SoMo Speed Equipment.
    Question #1: I'm having trouble hooking up the throttle and kickdown cables at the carburetors. (Lokar cables & a Lokar Tri-Power throttle cable bracket on the left rear carb) The carburetor accelerator pump cam on the left front carb is the logical place to attach these cables, but it is too small and doesn't have the holes in it for attachment. I've tried a 4bbl Lokar bracket on the right rear carb and routing the cables up the center of the manifold, but the distributor is in the way for this setup. Anybody got any ideas? What's a good source for carb parts/brackets/linkage, that might help?
    Question #2: I'm using Frogg Mouth Scoops & Screens instead of air cleaners. Problem here is that the set screws on the scoops are located too high, to attach to, a too low/short carb lip on the top of the Rochesters. Plus the center air cleaner stud brackets will not allow the screens to sit flat. Again, any suggestions?
    John Milner never had these problems in the movie and with all the clone cars out there, I can't believe I'm the only one with these problems.
    Anxiously awaiting H.A.M.B. members input.
    Grant

2. chota5

chota5
    from Nor Cal

Redrill and tap new set screw holes in the scoops. Pics of the linkage would be helpfull. Oh, and do a intro before someone slams you.

3. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

John Milner never had these problems in the movie [/QUOTE]

John Milner wasent using Lokar Crap on his Coupe.

Change it to a 4spd & you wont have the Automatic Problems Like the Kick down or Trans Cooler.

Maybe Cut the Stud bridge Off the carb Throat.

Maybe with a sander you could shorten the bottom off the scoops.

Are they Original scoops or new Chinese Junk ?

4. RodStRace

RodStRace

kickdown!?!
    If you must have an auto, put in a manual valve body and avoid the kickdown....
    BTW, expect a dogpile on this one.

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Milners coupe had a Man-a-fre intake.

6. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

John Milner didn't build his own car. So, no he didn't have those problems. And do an intro. Milner would.

7. Tripple G

Tripple G

Wow. Guess I should have read "all the rules" of this forum before I joined. Thought I did the intro thing when I registered ? I put a paragraph in my profile when I registered. Yes, I know John Milner did not build his own car and I know the coupe had a Man-a-fre intake ... I didn't, I had to use what I could find. Sorry for offending the "Old School" Hot Rodders. Regarding more of an introduction ... Here ya go - My 1st car was a 1964 Falcon Futura, had a '65 Vette with 327, 2spd powerglide, & both tops, (dumbest thing I ever did was sell this one) a few early 70's Camaros, '72 Nova, etc. Now own a '23 T-Bucket and the '32 Ford 5-Window Coupe project. Saw American Graffiti...loved the cars and the music. Decided to build the Duece, but not another piss yellow clone! When it's done, it will be MY car. Joined the H.A.M.B. cuz I was looking for a little help. Oh well, let the dogpile begin, I can take it!

8. Intro section is at the top of the main page.

9. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

im sure all the "intro police" will sleep a whole lot better tonight, now that thats outta the way. and yeah, let the dogpile begin! build your car as best you can, and screw anybody who doesn't like it!

10. Onelow34

Onelow34

Can someone seriously give this guy a break and quit bitching about where the hell intros are placed???? jeez lets help a guy out, not brand him!

11. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I am Still after all the years & posts, Baffeled at WHY people Whine about the Intro.

Who Give a Rats Ass !

HAMB Police are Self appointed Security Gaurds ... Who Listens to Security Gaurds ?

12. Onelow34

Onelow34

Well put DE SOTO!

13. 61TBird

61TBird

Forget about the Intro Police...

[​IMG]

14. HRod 50

HRod 50

Tripple G, get used to the Cranky ass people on the HAMB, and oh boy get ready if you build kustom everybody is going to tell YOU what looks good to YOU...

15. I merely told the guy where the intro section is. Ryan created it for a reason.

And the best "loose" tribute to Milners coupe was done by Martha Quinns brother or brother inlaw. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Quinn And it was light blue not piss yellow. It was featured in a mid 80s SRM.

16. aircoup

aircoup

17. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

can't we all just get along and build a HOTROD?

18. Richard

Richard
    from Rocklin,CA

This is what happens when people spend too much time on the computer talking about building cars instead of in the garage actually building them.

XERB likes this.
  19. My garage and welder are a few feet to my left, I am inbetween welds and letting things cool when I post:p:D;)

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds interesting and not one of those "my clone is more accurate than your clone" things that are so prevalent. But do the world a favor and leave that radiator shell up where it belongs instead of being butchered so it looks silly.

21. F&J

F&J

I agree about needing pics of the problems.

There are guys here who can figure it out with pics.

22. I had the Lokar plate on my 3x2 and it was a pain in the ass. Would have been better tossing it. Light car, wont need the kickdown anyway.

23. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

The kick down cable doesn't just 'kick down' the gears, it holds it in each gear longer when you are stomping hard on it. Without it connected you'll be auto- shifting up at about 3500rpm, but with the kick down connected that'll not happen until about 5000.

And that makes for a whole lot more fun. :D

24. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

ps. And you can connect the kick down cable to your throttle pedal, doesn't have to go to the carb linkage.

25. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Hey Triple G, Welcome aboard. Glad you're thick skinned, This is a great place for help, insight, and a few laughs, just weed through the negatives here and you'll be one of the happy ones. Posting pictures can be kinda' tough for us FNG's, but you'll get more positive replies with 'em. Good luck with your Coupe. Hope you find the help you're asking for.

26. I know how they work, but in a light car it really doesn't matter. The touring would have you begging for mercy at 3500 anyway.

27. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im curious of what color your making the coupe ...

28. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Like a ton of other guys I got to watch AG at a very impressionable young age and it just added fuel to may already burning car fire! Yes there are some things about that coupe that are ?? but for me it was the coolest car I had ever seen at that young age. Back before I knew what "traditional" and "correct" was I knew what I thought cool was and that car was it!!! It's just an image and a feeling that gets burned into your "automotive soul" that just doesn't fade, well at least not for me! I would love to build a Milner coupe clone but just for me, maybe just to rekindle some of that feeling when I was a young dumb kid! Please put up some pics of your car when you get a chance.

Oh' and welcome to the board!

29. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

EXACTLY!!!

Let me help-

Hi, my name is Grant. I am from New Philadelphia, Ohio. I am working on a clone of the American Graffiti coupe- hope I can share some ideas and get some advice. Thanks, Grant

Now I feel like I know him!:)

Post some pictures Grant- AG Coupe is many people's favorite.

30. So why do you suggest intros for your own board Jim? Just asking.:)

The RULES:
    1: Review 'FORUM FAQ' board for answering your questions on posting, attaching images to your posts, etc. Post questions here if you need help.
    (members only - you have to register in order to see this board)

2: Intros are not required, but as we grow it would be cool to know who we are hanging with. I realize a few are shy and a bunch aren't ever going to post, but don't be silent. Let us hear from you and post something in the INTRO section.

Contradiction is a bummer. :D