Register now to get rid of these ads!

alternator paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by retiredblue, Oct 21, 2010.

1. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

Has anyone painted their alternator? I just had one rebuilt and the guy had a powder coated case that was about 30 bucks more - I was just gonna paint mine after covering up the air vents any comments pro or con?

2. I painted mine with cast iron engine paint, no worries. I dodn't want to paint it bright aluminum. I didn't cover anything up , either.

3. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I painted mine satin black. It doesn't disappear, but it doesn't jump out at you either.

4. big creep

big creep

i take mine apart,but if you dont want to do that i guess its no big deal.

5. Mask it however you want how colors are wanting to be shown. Blow it apart if more details are wanting to be shown. Plating detail or poor boy?
    Works for me.

6. cederholm

cederholm

I just did my generator... :D

[​IMG]

7. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

very cool, just gonna mask up and paint away, satin black is the deal, thanks

8. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I usually paint mine . I have seen them chrome , power coated and some painted with pin striping . It really all depends on the look you want !
    Anything looks better than the plane Jane look they come with .

Retro Jim

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I took my genn apart and ground all the cast and nic marks off before painting it. I'll then send to the electric guru to have it rebuilt. Nothing worse then having a generator rebuilt and it coming back lackluster.

10. Greasers C.C.

Greasers C.C.
    from Philly

My neighbor has alternator paint on his fancy, high dollar street rod. D'pendin on how the sun hits it, it alterates b'tween blue and purple.....

All kidding aside, I used black brake caliper paint on mine and am very happy with the result.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  11. BTTT for any new revelations.

Adriatic Machine likes this.
  12. Had mine ceramic coated years ago. It ate bearing and diodes. Went back to plan case. Has been good some 20 years now.

13. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

I have nothing intelligent to say regarding this topic but I love the idea of rejuvenating an old thread.

14. The shop that did mine painted the case... 6 years and still holding up. No idea what they used. the next tome I'm in the shop I'll ask them. I would think that VHT paint would be good.

Adriatic Machine likes this.
  15. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

VHT is probably good, although I used their high heat paint on a set of exhaust manifolds. The paint flaked off quickly but the primer is still holding strong. Go figure.

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've painted several using engine enamel and it holds up great.

17. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bead blast and satin clear. That way the silver won't smudge. :D

Just Gary likes this.
  18. I have a chrome outer shell for a Mopar alternator out in the shop somewhere.
    I might use it someday if I ever get a Mopar alternator. :p

427 sleeper likes this.