Register now to get rid of these ads!

how many of you have a grease gun?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Oct 18, 2010.

1. I've got 3 of em'. My semi daily driver pickup has had the front end greased every 3000 miles along with the oil change since my dad bought it new. After 165,000 miles the front end is still tight. Routine maintenance pays.

2. I just got the regular size hand pump one for my newer car and had a mini one for when I started changin suspension stuff on my galaxie. Cheap stuff is so expensive at autozone. :) Got a lincoln. Hope its good. says its made in india and I think quality controlled here. Had to stop myself from buying the cool craftsman pneumatic one which was 10 bucks more minus the swivel fitting. Was told to stay away from Chinese made grease guns though. So I did.

3. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Got 2 a large side action lever type and a smaller one for the 'hard' to get to places, use'em (like cars) thats what there for.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  4. joel torres

joel torres

i have a big one and small one but couldn't figure how to load it correctly :(

5. Air powered one.

Push the trigger, dugga noise, nope no grease, try again, dugga. No, still none. Bleed it (again)
    ......dugga, dugga, duga, dugga, dugga..........

Sod it, where is my manual one?

6. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Since we're on the topic of grease, any tips on getting to the zerk on u-joints? I have one guy but it won't fit on the 60 chevy. I read here about "little" guns I suppose that would do it huh? I grease the front end of my cars every spring, and before I do a long road trip. The u-joints I have a hard time getting to.

7. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

i have 5 manuals 3 large 2 small one has bearing buddy marine grease for the boat trailer and a air system grandpa use to say a nickels worth of grease today is 10 dollars next year that was in 1963 so iguess it a couple hunderd now , i also have som palmaid and dapper dan in the medicin cabinet

8. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I have a couple and use the frequently.

9. I have a few hand grease guns at home. One belonged to my dad, but not really that old. It was always a ritual to grease the front end and u-joints while the oil was draining for an oil change.

I worked in one place and we used to charge $3 for a chassis lube. This guy shows up in a Jeep and I go under and do the usual front end grease job, then he starts pointing out grease fittings all over the place.

I call the shop foreman over and he explains to the guy that this is no normal grease job and after a bunch of back and forth, they agree on $6 for the task. The guy gave me a $2 tip.

Bob

10. threeston

threeston

adding zerk fittings would increase the cost of those hard parts by like $0.50 a piece!
    and when the bean counters add up the 18 places on a new car that should have zerk fittings. thats like $9 PER CAR! no wonder they don't add grease fittings to new cars. Instead they install "sealed bearings" and charge you an extra $500....

Does heavy equipment, tractors, skid loaders, etc come with sealed bearings? hell no, they come with big greasy joints and zerks. thats for a reason. something to think about.

11. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

Several here , including a pneumatic one . Oh yeah and don`t forget the grease needle for those ball joints without zerks !

12. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I have a few. one just for universal joints.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Got 2 of them..long live U joints and ball joints

14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

gotta have a grease gun,otherwise you would never experience the joy of hearing an idler arm rubber fart. I especially like being contorted under the car and sqeezing the handle with my knees when the zerc is worn

15. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I'm trying to figure out how to put zerks into my knees and ass bone.

16. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I have 2. A large, and a small size.

17. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Every oil change on the farm. I got to do the regular vehicles. Car and van. Driving up the ramps was always interesting. I was 12 yrs old and the full size van didn't drive like my go-cart at all.

18. lan240

lan240
    1. 37-38 Chevys

I have 2 of them and use them all the time.

19. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I got one. I use it.

20. got two....black grease and red grease.......

21. bshepherd

bshepherd
    from michigan

ive got three with different tips, my step dad carris one in his tool box, runs heavy equipement greases them once a week when he checks them over. He said you wouldnt believe how much grease some of them will take cause no one else he works with does it.

22. Master of None

Master of None

Got 2, and just got done using one on the front of a customer's strait axle project car.

23. Racewriter

Racewriter

Air powered baby!

24. 067chevy

067chevy

Wouldn't be without one and use it to. Cheap maintenance.

25. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

I got 4 and use 2, i use them every oil change. if there is a knock it will quieten it down for a while.

26. Got two grease guns and use 'em, suicide front end ya know.

27. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

If ya figure that one out...let me know!:D

28. mrpowderkeg

mrpowderkeg

I grease my daily driver every time I change oil in it. Many replacement steering parts will come with zerks, these parts should last for a real long time if they are lubed regularly.

29. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

i hear ya trent !! if theres a zerk on the wifes kia, its cause it fell outta my pocket coming home from work!

30. roadworthy'49

roadworthy'49

I got one, and the '49 got lubed with the last oil change