Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Mag Dec '10: PYLE SPECIAL Strikes the pages!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gaters, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Gaters

Gaters

I was thrilled to see the story and pictures I'd submitted to Hot Rod magazine grace their pages in the December 2010 issue, just out on the shelves this week. I know, I'd been waiting...and waiting..and waiting. The wait was all worth it.

What I cherish most about the story and coverage is that Rob Kinnan and the folks at Hot Rod did a bang up job honoring my dad and the original owner Ray Pyle, who is also family. I was also honored to meet Wes Allison, the photographer. His photography is stunning and to watch him work was something else.

I especially appreciate the history of Hot Rod magazine and its roots to dry lakes racing, which ties to my roadster. It's such an iconic magazine I am humbled that they chose to do a story let alone with 7 pages of coverage.

The opening page says it all for me...my dad driving the roadster on the dry lake bed of El Mirage. The photo is freaking artwork!

My dad is blind in one eye and barely able to see out of his good eye. I almost had to force him into the driver's seat because he didn't want to drive it by himself..I can't imagine what that feels like so I had to tread carefully.

As Pops drove the roadster, I drove Wes's van and Wes was hanging out the passenger door window yelling steering directions to my dad. It was beautiful and the moment is captured in the pages of HOT ROD MAGAZINE FOREVER!

Fittingly, the story starts on what page?...Page 28 and 29 of course, a perfect match to my Model A.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks for the heads up Chris.

Funny thing is, I went to the newsstand this morning to see if December's issue was out here yet - alas we are o ly up to October!!!

Well done on the feature. Acclaim where acclaim is due.

3. Gaters

Gaters

HA! As I sent off this post at 11:00 pm Sunday here I was wondering you and Jimmy B might be the first to see it and or respond.

Well, I only posted the first couple of pages as not to spoil the surprise of part the December issue for you. Consider this the teaser!

Thanks for the well wishes.

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Congrats Chris. Well deserved!!!!!!

5. Nice to see Hot Rod Magazine, honour such a deserving family and car.:D

6. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

That's a great story! Awesome that your dad is driving!

7. Very well deserved feature Chris! Congrats to you and your dad Ken!

As Stovebolt has said we are only up to Oct. issue. We wont get the December issue for another month and a bit I will definitely be keeping an eye out at the Newsagent.

8. Good stuff, Congrats!

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Congrats man! That's a really nice Hot Rod!

10. Congrats on the story!

Ironic that HRM robbed a 1980s cover for ideas however. They did the same story AND cover with the circle slash and a 69 Camaro. I bet they did it to see if we remember!?

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Awesome. Cool car!!!

12. Gaters

Gaters

HA! I love that you remember that cover from the 80s. Sheesh, some things I can't remember past my own nose. Going back 30 years is a keen sense. Was it about the same topic, outlawing Hot Rods?

13. Gaters

Gaters

Thanks for the well wishes fellas!!

My brother bought a copy and took it to my Dad's house but he waited for me to show the article to my Dad. I thought that was pretty cool of my brother.

I was able to read the story to my him on Sunday for the first time and as I opened the magazine to the first two page layout of him driving the roadster he says, "Who is that, Ray?" and I say, "NO! it's you, when would we have a color photo of Ray in the roadster?!". There is a pause, "Oh, Wow that's pretty neat!" He was able to make out the photos too. He was surprised at the amount of coverage Hot Rod gave to our roadster. It was another neat moment to share with my Dad.

14. Gaters

Gaters

I won't spoil the issue for you by posting more than what I already have if you're planning on picking up a copy when it's available there. I appreciate your continued enthusiasm in following my roadster.

15. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

chris - how could we not appreciate such a bitchin banger powered hot rod as yours.
    Can you do me a favor?

Can you post a link to the YouTube videos of you in it driving around LA? I can't find it, and would love to see it again. Thanks mate.

16. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

congrats Chris!... I'll have to check it out when I get home!.. my dad told me our copy had arrived yesterday...

17. Awesome! Great story, glad Hot Rod hasn't forgot thier roots! I noticed the mag has blended more nolstalgia in lately, what better deserving place for this story!

18. Almost identical picture and the same topic.

19. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Got my issue in the mail yesterday! The only thing in the whole damn mag worth reading!

20. Gaters

Gaters

One has music mixed into it, the other music to the ears! Choose your poison.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I9wWtwL-2PA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I9wWtwL-2PA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksDOtse9mpE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksDOtse9mpE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

21. fww32

fww32

Just finished reading article then see this post. Congradulations

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Just read the article. It was really really awesome.

23. gms2slo

gms2slo

Congrats, you should be very proud. Good story and photos too! It made paging through the rest of the mag and a ridiculous 15 page ad spread (p93-p107) almost bearable!

It is good to see a publication with a large circulation give attention to the "average" guys, their history, and their cars!

24. Gaters

Gaters

I agree. Just think of all those guys back then that went on to live out their lives leaving the dry lakes behind not knowing they'd leave such a rich legacy. It was who they were in that era but eventually lost to time and different responsibilities.

There is so much that I have discovered about my roadster, that era and my family that I only wished I had started earlier. I can only be thankful that I started when I did, I guess, before it all faded into time.

25. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks for posting videos Chris - long live the banger........ and the family memories that go with the roadster

26. Good Job, Man. Great Car-Story!!

27. Gaters

Gaters

Strange. Must be something that lives on through the decades

Thanks! Glad you liked it. I had a great time at the photo shoot.

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

awesome you deserve it.

29. HELLMET

HELLMET

Cool buddy . I looked last night at the store didnt see it. Will keep looking. See ya next weekend. Billy