Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help ID'ing 10-bolt Posi Carrier

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motion guru, Oct 16, 2010.

1. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

I don't have too much experience with 10 bolt positraction units - I have never seen a unit with a turned / bolted on side cover. Is this a stock GM unit?
    [​IMG]

I looked for numbers on the carrier and came up with nada . . .

There are a couple of numbers on the sheet metal spring plate - but searching for those came up with nothing that really made sense.

[​IMG]

any help with a positive ID would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  2. testpilot

testpilot
    from Denver

10 bolt auburn style no cluthces posi
    30 spline unit NOt a 28 spline unit... Fits 10 bolt 8.5" ring gear ...

The spring spacer is a great upgrade for earlier 28 spline cluthc style posies

3. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

Thanks - so is this an aftermarket unit or a GM unit?

All of the positraction units I have seen have a cast end rather than a cover with plenty of access to pull the retaining bolt out of the spider gear shaft.

I was going to pull the axles but am going to have to make a special short allen wrench to get the bolt out of the spider gear shaft. Access to the end of the unit is TIGHT!!! Looks like I have to pull the bearing cap to get it out?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  4. testpilot

testpilot
    from Denver

I have seen these stock in GM's but they make this style unit for fords etc..

all the posi's i ever removed they had like 7 mm 6 point bolt holding in the pinions tap the case with a hard plastic hammer where the bolt threads and hold it does not break.. but if it does make sure you have a very sharp pointy seal remover and you can screw out the broken bolt.. i have done it at least 20 times

if you loo close at the side gears sometimes the gear grooves the crap out of the CASE .. which means the posi is trash