Register now to get rid of these ads!

FLATCAD RACING Bonneville 2011 Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Beebeebobby

Beebeebobby
    from Webb City

I think I will follow this one...:)

2. choptvan

choptvan

HAHAHAHAH!! Only once! HA HA! You're funny!

It is going to be my first time. I am setting everything aside to go. No matter what. I am excited just thinking of being there. Truly will be a good experience. I am already thingkin about the following year and what I might take...

3. That is the spirit! ... made my spine tingle.
    It is great that you are willing to share the experience / opportunity and that you've worked hard at getting compitent people involved.
    There sure is a lot of talent and experience in Colorado.
    Keep it coming along.

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

HAHa!

We're a nationwide team- Pete1 is from Washington, Bored&stroked and Rustybucket in Ohio, Wrenchbender in Missouri, and the rest of us in Colorado.

Next member will be from.......?

5. Hey Buddy,

A friend of Choptvan here in Colorado Springs. I have been lurking on your thread for awhile now. I will be helping with the haircut when it gets here. I was at Bonneville with a crew back in 1997 and it was a blast. I am on board as an extra crew member if you will have me.

6. mad-cad

mad-cad

If ya need any help with tech/safety stuff I'm one of the tech inspectors at Speedweek/world finals,if I can't answer any of your questions I'll relay them to Steve Davies the Chief inspector.I can swing by and check stuff out aswell when the car is further along.If I can help in any way give me a shout.
    Tim

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

49Flatty, welcome to the club!

mad-cad, I'd love to be able to bounce tech problems off of you!

And if we could get you to look at the car, well.....:cool:

8. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Buddy, Things are starting to roll ! What will you be using for a front suspension ?

9. plan9

plan9

probably a good idea to talk to mad cad once a cage design is green lit.

safety req's aside, what transmission are you running?

10. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

It's getting an early Ford style Magnum 5" drop I-beam axle,
    Vega steering box, new crossmember, posies spring, panhard bar,adjustable spring perches, spindles with disc brakes,4-bar kit, and adjustable springs.
    Might be overkill, but it should work, and would be a nice setup for the street. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I think your right! I'm having the cage profesionally done, and not taking any chances- If we need to use it, it better be right. Chris Max at Max Innovation will be installing it.

The tranny is a Muncie M-21 close ratio. I'd like to have a 5 speed with 1-1 in 5th, but I think we can spend the money more wisely elsewhere.

11. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Buddy she's looking good! Great to see it working for you!:D

12. choptvan

choptvan

So when can 49 Flatty and I expect it back home here in CO?

13. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Some great info here already. If you can get your car pre-teched a handful of months before Speedweek, that is huge. We did this back in Feb, in Ft. Worth, and it pretty much saved a trip to Utah to fail the hard way.

This was my first year on the salt, and brought a car I was still finishing on the trailer on the way to Utah.
    I'm not saying set your sites low, just saying things take alot of time. We blew an entire day at tech, then blew the next day on our thumbs waiting until 11 to do the rookie driver session.
    That was two days down before we ever got in line. Add a problem here or there and you'll spend all week just trying to get your Licenses. Might not be a problem since you are running on a 151 record.
    If you can land between 125-150 on your first "Rookie" pass then you also got your "D" License. Kinda combined runs!

We walked away pretty much not reaching a single goal we had set out. It was very very humbling. But changes are already under way to come back with a better more tuned car for next year. YEEHAA!!!

Good luck, I'll find you on the salt to get all sexual up on your motor!!!

14. choptvan

choptvan

You can get all sexual if you do not mind sloppy seconds! HAHA!

15. 47fordcoe

47fordcoe
    from San Diego

I love seeing cadiflattys in something they don't belong in. Got mine in a 62 gmc c 20.........just f-n cool.

16. This is an awesome thread and tons of info for anyone interested in this type of build. Thanks for posting all the info here. I hope you run the socks off your own expectations.

17. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

That's winter work! lol! Let's get the suspension and drive train done, then it's yours.You know, we need to find a painter that wants to join the team, to donate painting/prep labor.;)

Good to hear from you Wayne! Sounds like you guys had a good learning experience, and must of had fun, since your already planning on changes for next year! Hopefully we run into each other next year- I'll buy you a beer, and we can discuss the Flatcads.

I wonder- If we had the car ready, could we take it to El Mirage, for one of their summer events, to get rookie orientation and licensing out of the way before Bonneville, or does it have to be done at Bonneville?

Anyone know?

I don't know about 'getting all sexual' on this motor- she'll have some 'bite'. Lol!

I'd love to see it- please post a pic up.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You would still need rookie orientation for the salt. It's a different deal than the dirt. But getting through your first inspection, getting a log book started and doing your first licensing runs would definitely be a good thing.

19. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

It gets confused alot but its, Wyatt.

Here is the link to the thread about the motor we are running, and about the car and this speedweek.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276084&page=5

Dont worry you'll have stuff you are ready to change as the car is loading on the trailer on its first time out. Then that list will continue to grow!!!

Agreed! We may try to hit one of the spring events at El Mirage to knock out a license or three as well. Its just 30 hours of driving each way....

20. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Wyatt, I knew that! You're Bonneville build, and story is awesome. What an engine!

Here's our new logo, and one Keeper did. I need to figure out how to use both.

Having this will make us faster, right?

Attached Files:

21. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Let me know how to buy shirts, you know to support the race effort, but really cause they are cool...wink wink.

22. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thank Wyatt! Shirts will be available soon!:D

I had a long talk with a gent from California this morning. He's building a Flatcad roadster to run on the salt next year. Even though we are not in the same class, he doesn't want to divulge anything about his engine build. I know he's using the stock crank and rods, a billet cam, and a Procharger supercharger.

It really got me to thinking.I posted earlier that I wasn't really going to post about the engine build. Now, I'm wondering why. This info NEEDS to be passed on for other builders. So, here are some of the things you'll see coming soon:

Modular Dry sump, with water and fuel on the same drive.
    Intercooler
    Enderle bug catcher
    Donovan gear drive with angle gear drive (I think), Magneto
    Joe Paneck billet cam, ground to 425 Eliminator, by Pete1
    Quick connect 4 port exhaust
    Crank girdle
    Custom Flatcad two piece heads
    Muncie m-21 close ratio tranny

And a WHOLE lot more!:cool:

Oh yea- Pete1 asked me about color. I'm thinking red or chrome yellow?

Whaddya think? Pick one of those two, that's all the choices there are!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  23. Vergil

Vergil

To bad more people doesn't have this outlook on their builds. So much knowledge is lost as people pass on with no recorded history of what worked and didn't work for them. I for one can share a whoooole bunch of things that doesn't work and sometimes I luck out and it works but not ashamed to share either one. Keep that attitude Buddy and will continue watching the progress.

Vergil

24. plan9

plan9

wyatt - do you know what the wheel base is on the RMR? thanks!

38Flattie - i get why people dont share information... its lame but lots of money or time goes into R&D and until he gets his record(s) silence is golden. we arent doing anything that hasnt been done already.... we'll talk to anyone :p

people that never share anything suck....

25. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks Vergil! Everything I know and am learning, either has been or currently is being passed on.

plan9, you're right- it's all been done before! I don't really think passing this info on will effect rather or not I get a record. It's up to me! You've been there, so I know you know what I mean.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  26. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Buddy, I vote on the yellow with red scallops.

27. firingorder1

firingorder1

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. A record is up to you. There is a lot of info out there. Sorting the good from the crap is difiicult. Lets hope your judgement is good. If I may offer a bit of info. This will be your first trip to the salt. And if my first trip to Bonneville is anything to go by it won't be your last!

Build for reliability. If it stays together you can get your licensing runs out of the way and get a lot of "experience" runs in. Come back in 2012 and go for the record. To go there and grenade the motor on the first run would be a waste of time. You'll get lots of sympathy on here but thats not what you are after.

I spent last year at El Mirage sorting my sidecar into something reliable. This year its set two records at El Mirage and two at Bonneville. And only one minor problem. At Bonneville we made five solid passes to the three mile and no breakages. We spent most of our time in impound. Its a wonderful feeling that I dearly hope you get to experience!

28. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

It probably seems like this is moving slow, but there is a lot going on behind the scenes. This build is almost coast to coast!

I was in Missouri this week, with Wrenchbender. The front end is now going in the car, and we were figuring out the tranny, bellhousing/flywheel issue. Pat McGuire is making us an adaptor to a Ford Fe bellhousing. We'll run a Ford Fe flywheel, with a Muncie tranny.

Tomorrow, I'm heading to Denver, to pick up the racing seat, HANS device, and seat belt harness.

In Washinton, Pete1 is chomping at the bit, waiting for Joe Paneck in California to finish the cam blank. I know when Pete1 gets done, we'll have a monster cam!
    Also in Washinton, Flatroy is whittling away at the 6-71 blower intake.

Back in California, Keeper is checking on the feasibility of some secret ;)ultra lightweight lifter bodies.

Also chomping at the bit, in Colorado, is Choptvan, who's going to give us our beauty chop.

In Ohio, Bored&Stroked and Jeff are measuring out all aspects of the engine internals, and formulating a crank plan, as well as the porting and valve train. Rudtybucket is designing specialty parts on CAD for us.

Sounds like a theme song- "We're bad-We're nationwide!"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  29. choptvan

choptvan

I love that song... but really. When Am i getting to chop this thing!? HA HA!

30. Lots going on in the engine development department - we have a long way to go, but it is going to be a "fun ride" all the way :D