Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Tri-5 Dork

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 13, 2010.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the tri five cars pretty much as they came,agree with squirrel's comments,fairly stock body,a little rake and some more suds under the hood. Have owned approx 25 over the past 35 years and currently own two that have been around here for 30 plus years--both are black hardtops (55 and 57 in my album). With that said, I also love the gasser look but have never done one-as with 40 Fords, just can't bring my self to change them too much-but that's just me and at 67 and being set in my ways I guess-

2. eddie1

eddie1

I too am with Aaron on this one. Or at least if you are going to customize it should be a mild custom. That said I tend to walk by the tri-5's at car shows because I feel like seen one, seen them all. I do the same with Mustangs & most muscle cars these days as well.

3. [​IMG]

As mentioned, this one is badass! So is Moriarty's, Sam's (better with the flames) and the one shown with the magazine roof.

They sure do look good as a gasser. Of the tri-5's, I like the '56 the best. I think its because of the side trim. And I agree, they are kind of the '32 Ford of their time. The American Graffitti scene when Milner races "I ain't nobody dork" is badass!!

4. [​IMG]

Kind of like this......with a little "Green Onions" by Booker T and the MG's in the background. Oh yeah...

5. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

THis is a cool thread and some excellent examples of what "to do" and what "Not to do" to a tri 5 chevy.

Sams is great and one of the few that I like in two tone. but I really liked it before the red and white.

6. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

I was just about to mention Dennis's car. I'm a '56 guy over the rest.

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

My Dad got a brand new 55 Nomad,redish/oj and cream,was the coolist looking wag i had even seen and still feel that way to day,yet v8 leaked oil and smoked some from day one,for a v8 it was weak,my grandpop new 55 ford would blow it away. The first year of sbc v8 was a dog,but loved the bodys

8. 1Evil55

1Evil55
    from Illanoys

Tri5's are like belly buttons, 32's are like belly buttons, yadayadayada. Different strokes for different folks. Although not too HAMB friendly, here is my 55HT the day I bought it. Not much changed. Waiting for winter...

ETA: Yes those are dice on the mirror, Oh the horror!

[​IMG]

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know why but this thread tugs at my imagination a bit more than most. Here's a few build ideas I may never get to so feel free to go for it.

For a 57, I think the racer look is it. I see the same stance and attitude as "Project X" as seen in "Hollywood Knights". Just the cheapo side trim, high winding SBC like a 331 and a 4spd. Early old style f'glass racing seats, no back seat. No front bumper. Steel wheels with perhaps whitewall slicks and some nice skinny Cragers or similar up front, maybe skinny steels with or without whitewalls. Black with no more that 2 coats of blue pearl, or HOK "Cortez Blue" KBC would do nicely. On the back, one of those international red circle signs with a pair of fuzzy dice behind the red center slash. Since race cars have names, "No Dice" would be perfect.

For a 56, 2 tone frosty green pearl similar to the shades on the Hirohata Merc. Kustom tube grille, can't decide on what wheelcovers but something fitting to the vibe. White rolls and pleats and a kustom built wrap-around interior, more than just T-bird seats, the pleats continuing as inner 1/4 panels so it appears 1 piece in the back. Some smooth panels employed in the actual seating area to bring the front seats to the party. pearl white instrument panel and maybe work in a Cadillac dash panel and sterring column. Naturally it would be nice and low, emblems shaved, no dorr handles, etc.

For a 55, I see it being all about the paint. The latest TRJ has a story about the Nomad from the west coast with the stunning rootbeer and gold flame finish. No matter if it was paneled, flamed, scalloped, kandy, pearl or even a mix, the lines and details on a 55 rule. I like losing the decklid lic plate idea so that's in. Bucket seat interior that emulates the early 60s performance cars, maybe a pretty hot motor but not a deal breaker. Shave all the emblems except the shield on the hood. No gold "V" emblems, maybe a 61 348/409 emblem and a motor to go with it? Chrome reverse OEM style wheels and pinner whites, not too low, maybe a conservative rake.

See what I mean? Stock? Uhh...no. Funny thing is, doing anything but stock is probably a bit less than a true restoration would cost, no rules.

10. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

wasn't it you that had the picture of a 56 doing a wheelstand...on the street in front of your house?

11. phatgoose

phatgoose

Maybe I shouldn't have commented so harshly on this car. Sometimes its hard to remember that everyone has a different vision of what their dream car should look like. I guess it really doesn't matter. All of us here have a passion for automobiles and that is the important thing. My sincerest apologies. To each his own!

12. Streetrodscoty

Streetrodscoty
    from Washington

Ask Falfa, "I dont care if you crash by an inch, or by a mile, Wreckin is Wreckin"...

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

Cant believe nobody has posted a pic of the Aztec 55 yet.....

14. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

McPhails 56 at the round-up a few years ago blew me away. Growing up I was a 57 kid. Then I liked 55's. Now it has to be a 56. I'd love a 4 door wagon...

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

Cant believe I only could find 1 pic of the Aztec on this computer, I am a 55 lover,1st car when I was 14, had about 8 of them and 1 57...I love them in any style stock kustom or hot rod and just about anything in between !

[​IMG]

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

Heres a couple of other favorites of mine that are more custom...RodP's brothers 55, and of coarse Rich's 57...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Spooky

Spooky

I personally don't see why more guys have not used '55 Pontiac wagon taillights in these?
    Neat piece!

18. Lux blue... that's not mine. Mine just smokes the tires on the street!

But it does yank them up at the track! Woohoo!!

[​IMG]

19. Spooky

Spooky

SamIyam nailed it. Good post.

20. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

haha, not yet but now it's on the planning board along with the new engine and cutting the wheel wells. Great front end , hell I'm surprised you remembered. Still have the Nomad?? That was killer to see it

21. I've posted these before. My dad bought this one brand spankin' new in '55, just some mild custom touches (he had the dealership paint the coral pink roof black before he would drive it off the lot)...

[​IMG]

McCulloch supercharger...

[​IMG]

I don't really care what anyone thinks about tri-fives, I grew up wanting one. Still do.

22. Jay71

Jay71

^^^Very Cool^^^

23. firemangordy

firemangordy

I'm kinda partial to this one.

Attached Files:

24. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

25. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ive seen some custom tri fives that looked good because of new paint etc. but not better.
    Once it has 4 headlight and bigger fins it really isnt in the same category as a tri five chevy to me,but thats just me.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  26. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I am definaltely a custom guy. The 55 and 56's look excellent as mild customs, moriarty's makes my pants fit funny, and I can't wait until the gasser trend dies down. There has gotta be 100 times more gasser tri fives than back in the day now.

27. unless its at the track,, 55's look better low

28. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Im partial to Fast Elvis' 55, I wish I had better pics.

Attached Files:

29. Here ya go....

[​IMG]