Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods old school dual quad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rover, Oct 13, 2010.

1. rover

rover
    from pomona

Hi everyone. FNG here. I am working on a 56 Chevy hard top. I am going with a custom/hot rod look. I plan to run a dual quad set up on a 57 283. It will use an early 327 crank with 307 pistons. I know I need to clearance the block for the crank. I am not trying to build a numbers matching car, just a cool old school hot rod. My question is regarding my dual quads. Which wcfb carbs can I use? Are there specific ones that are not originally from a dual quad set up that will work? I have one that I got for free so I need one more. I don't have the big bucks to get originals for dual quads. I just want a set of old school carbs on top of my chevy. Plan b is to get new edelbrocks. But that just wouldn't be the same. Also, should I use 70 cc 57 283 heads milled down or 67 cc 55 heads milled down? I have a set of both. I plan to go 1.94/1.5 ss valves and z28 springs. Cam suggestions?

2. One trick I heard of is running 2 of the carbs from a single 4V engine (bigger than the ones put on 8bbl engines)... believe it applies to '50's SBC - but you might want to check accuracy.

Also, the Holley 1850 carb was originally used as a Lincoln 430 carb (OE application), and small-airhorn AFB carbs go back to the '50's (1957?).

So, you're not held to WCFB carbs with nails to be traditional.

If I were building the kind of deal with an alternator, and '60's - '70's style power steering pump visible under the hood, I might consider a couple of 500 Carter or E-brock AFBs. Easier to get service parts if ever needed; a bit cheaper. I think they're slightly simpler to work on, too.

-Bill

3. rover

rover
    from pomona

Forgot to mention that I am using an old weiand (say why and) dual quad manifold. It accept the carbs mentioned? My new edelbrock fits using the inner holes.