Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can Anyone ID these seats?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zrwhat, Oct 11, 2010.

1. zrwhat

zrwhat

Got a set of buckets from a guy in Tennassee and he swears they are out of a 64 Impala SS, they do have the "halo" chrome trim but the seats don't fold inward like a 64 on back, they fold straight forward which are 65 style. Also I can't ID the seat adjusting Knob, sure don't look like Chevrolet, looks like a knife handle and I'm pretty sure the seat pattern is big Pontiac-65,

Can anyone tell by the sliders/Knob what they are?

Thanks guys

http://[​IMG]http://[​IMG]http://[​IMG]

2. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

The slide handle is wrong for the bucket seats that you are talking about

also the brackets are wrong and the chrome is wrong for the Impala ,the chrome should go up the side and over the top and back down the inside.

Only one year Impala bucket seats tilted forward and in toward the console for easy access to the back seat and that was 1963 .

the picture looks like a 1964 seat to me but could be a Pontiac

3. squirrel

squirrel

64 pontiac full size car buckets have mounting brackets that are completely different from that. I have some in my 55 it was a bitch to make them fit.

also the knob is not right

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

5. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I had a set of Corvair seats that a guy swore were 64 Impala seats. Weren`t 62-65 GM seats all kinda similar. Only purists know for sure.

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Mine are 63 corvair and they fold straight forward but no band over the top.
    this genral type seat was offered in nearly every GM model from 59 to 65 with small variations

8. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Im a liar, I change my vote, pontiac

9. 1967 Ford Fairlane would be my guess they have that chrome detail over the back. Rob.

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

They look like the '62-'65 G.M. style seat, but every marque used them, so they could even be out of a Buick or Oldsmobile.

11. BJR

BJR

64 GTO or Lemans.

12. Squablow

Squablow

GTO and LeMans don't have that band either, I've re-upholstered a couple of them. They're also narrower than Impala seats.

Keep in mind that you can add the chrome band to the Corvair seats to make them look like the Impala seats. That was kind of a well kept secret up until a few years ago, you could buy early Corvair buckets for pennies and sell them for good coin to the Impala and Nova SS guys. I've seen that adjuster handle before too. These are very possibly Corvair seat frames with the chrome hoop added to them.

Late (65 and older) Corvair buckets are the same as 64-65 A-body car buckets.

63-64 Pontiac Grand Prix used seats like the ones pictured above too, might try comparing there.

13. Jingles

Jingles

Hi Jim,
    I'm Robert Forbes from Columbia, Ms. There aren't many Forbeses but it seems like most of us like hotrods.

14. Jingles

Jingles

I don't think that they are '64 GTO buckets but the pictures don't show the seats very good. I'll look at my '64 in a day or two and I'll know more then.

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Had a 65 Olds 442 Cutlas conv roll into my shop yesterday. The seat adjuster knob was exactly the same. Same bucket seat Demensions. Seat tracks were different. No top chrome band. So my guess would be 63 or 64 OLDS. The car left my shop today.

16. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

They're original, factory-optional ejection
    seats from a '64 Henway sedan. They're
    extremely rare nowadays - especially in
    original, un-launched and highly dangerous
    'still ready to fire' form like these ones!!!
    They were all supposed to have been
    recalled by the factory and then turned
    over to the BATF and Homeland Security
    for destruction, early-on in the '64 model
    run, after a bunch of them were found to
    have been inadvertently installed in some
    regular Henway sedans that had standard
    steel roofs without the requisite 'jettisonable
    roof escape hatch' option installed, with
    tragic results!!! :eek::eek::D

Mart3406 (Henway Motors Corporate
    Historian and Archivis
    t):D
    ========================

17. zrwhat

zrwhat

Thats what I was looking for Stanlow, most folks don't change out the adjusting knobs and in this case they look like they have been there since new.
    I'm thinking 1965 big Oldsmobile, maybe the big 88 or 98 series with the band around the seat, not sure if the band is factory on the Olds but know chevy, pontiac used it on their big models with buckets.

Could be the chrome "Halo" band was added as someone else suggested.

Thanks

18. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

NO BULL SHIT.... 1959 Bell helicopter.
    YA HAD TO BE THERE.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  19. Driver side is a '67 Mustang, Passenger is a '65 Mustang

20. Knobs aren't right for a Ford.

21. Gran Prix are like other Pontiac fullsize, the inner brackets point like straight down and mount to tabs on the floor, I parted one of those out a few years ago ('64) and cut the floor right out so I could re-use the seats. They do have the chrome band, though.

22. Squablow

Squablow

In that case, my vote is for Oldsmobile Starfire, 62-65 era. They have the hoop on them and they have the Olds style adjuster knob, not sure what the brackets look like but I'm not sure what else they could be from. I've seen a couple of 64 Olds 98 2 door hardtops with buckets in them too, although they're rare.

23. I would think that too, except the Olds should have the same floorpan (and inner mount arrangement) as the Pontiac Catalina and Gran Prix since both used the same trans (and I know the Bonneville is different for the Dual-Coupling Hydro). Which, maybe that's a possibility - a Bonneville, those just might be different. Olds F85 could be a possibility, too.

24. Squablow

Squablow

F-85 doesn't have the band all the way around, they had them Corvair style with just the side pieces.

It's gotta be a full size GM intermediate between 62 and 65. And if we can eliminate Grand Prix, Catalina and Starfire, I'd have to say 98 or Bonneville. Did Buick ever use these?

25. George T G

George T G

Too big, too wide

26. Buick's a good possibility, too. And who knows, maybe they've been played with, too, given so many cars had those seats for several years they could be out of one, with knobs from another, or someone added the bands -

27. zrwhat

zrwhat

I know by the way these seats tilt straight forward they are 1965 GM vintage, 1964 on back they tilted towards the center of the car. 1966 GM went with the strato style bucket so 66 is out.

I'm convinced they are 1965 big Pontiac or Olds, seat adjusting levers are unique and not the same ones Chevrolet used.

28. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I guess someone stole the bomber seats for thier car lol

The joke's on them the chopper pilot got nicer seats :D