Register now to get rid of these ads!

Swaybar question... should I install one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

I'm curious, on my lowered '56 Chevy pickup...will a front swaybar help with handling and bodyroll much? Is it worth the cash to install? Before anyone goes telling me I need an IFS, don't bother...I'm staying old school on this build. I'm just wondering if it will a significant enough improvement to even bother.

2. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I put one in my 55.5 Chevy truck (along with a MII IFS). It handles like a go-kart now. I have a rear sway bar too.

Not sure how it would work on a stock I-beam though, sorry.

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

I understand how and why it works on an IFS, just not sure it has the same effect on a straight axle.

4. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

It has the same effect on a straight axle - it controls body lean regardless of the axle.

5. Buzznut

Buzznut

Well, I'm looking at around $220 for the front kit, just wanted some reassurance before I fork over the cash.

6. mj40's

mj40's

My 40 came with one from the factory and worked quite well for years.

7. chriseakin

chriseakin

My '72 IH camper special has one from the factory which should tell you something. With a camper on it has a higher centre of gravity and really needs some help with roll etc. It does have a beam axle front with leaf springs and drum brakes, so anti-sway bars do work with leaf springs and I-beam axles.
    Chris

8. inline 292

inline 292

It'll help a lot - and you can save your money & adapt one over from a wrecking yard truck. It'll work just as good.

9. chevyv8t

chevyv8t

I had a 37 chevy coupe and a vw super beetle sway bar fitted near perfect
    I made some brackets to fit on the bottom of the sping u bolts and used 4 shperical rod ends and an internal threaded tube from the end of the bars and mounted the rubber bushes on the chassis rails and it ran like it was on rails
    best thing i ever did on the car

10. canman

canman

If a suspension has springs it can be a benefit,simple as that.

11. 4woody

4woody

And on the same topic:
    Once you have the front sway bar In my case a skinny early 50's bar), does a rear bar add much to the handling of a mild, street-driven car?

12. Snakeoyl Joe

Snakeoyl Joe

If a tire ever blows it will keep you going straight.

13. squirrel

squirrel

55-59 Chevy suburbans and panel trucks came stock with a spindly little sway bar. Mounted brackets on the front U bolts and had funky links connecting the outer ends to the frame, I could probably post a picture if I were ambitious and not ready to go out to dinner right now.

I'd second the "try to make something else fit" concept, look at a 70s-80s Chevy 4x4 for donor parts?

14. chevyv8t

chevyv8t

this is a vw super beetle sway bar on my 37 chevy coupe

Attached Files:

15. Deuces

Deuces

Front/rear sway bars and a panard bar out back would help also......

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  16. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------------
    Yep.....even ol' Henry thought enough of
    them to put them on the front ends of '40
    Fords....so they're even "traditional" too!:D

Mart3406
    ==============================

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  17. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Its more of a safety issue and if your in a town like me where there are more grannys in a hurry to get no where and drive like drunk 10 year olds then yea handling would be good idea to avoid any mishaps.....

18. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Anti-roll bars are used to fine-tune suspension behaviour by adjusting the ratio of front:rear roll stiffness. If there is too great a tendency to oversteer, one would add (or increase the size of) an anti-roll bar at the front. This increases the front roll stiffness and, hence, the load transfer onto the outside front wheel. That tyre runs bigger slip angles, and the oversteer is no more.

It all works well enough as long as you don't ask too much of your anti-roll bars. The basic roll stiffness has to be there already in the springs. Running too much anti-roll bar with too-soft springs creates a damping problem, as the springs and anti-roll bars together now create a situation where the overall spring rate for bump motions is a lot less than the overall spring rate for roll motions. Then, if the damping is right for bump you'll be underdamped in roll; if the damping is right for roll you'll be overdamped in pure bump. That's why I say anti-roll bars are essentially undamped, and that that is a basic shortcoming of them.

Moreover, too much of a roll-stiffness difference between front and rear will underperform due to the frame distortion it can induce, especially if the mix is contrary to the weight distribution and there is a significant weight bias to one end of the vehicle - exactly like you'll find on a pick-up truck with an empty bed. Unfortunately that is precisely the sort of situation where one would be inclined to want more roll stiffness on the light end. That is why conventional suspension tuning wisdom lays so much emphasis on a torsionally-rigid vehicle structure, which is exactly what a truck with a separate bed doesn't give you.

Bottom line, go for a light anti-roll bar on the front, and an extremely light bar or no bar on the back; run a tiny bit of negative camber on the front if you can; don't run too much air in the rear tyres; and be careful on loose surfaces!

19. RAY With

RAY With

Sway bars will help any vehicle in controlling body roll and the ride is a little better.

20. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

Put a front.

If you find yourself oversteering alot, do not put a rear bar. You may just need to lower the rear tire pressure a bit to increase grip. Rear bars sometimes tighten the rear suspension too much and create the go kart feel and alot of fishtailing. That is what you do not want - supposedly.

21. jay in cleburne

jay in cleburne

Love those sway bars. I put dual factory bars on my 56 Ford way back when... rode good and handled like a go cart... Jay

22. Labold

Labold

I've got them front and rear on my '40 and am more than happy with them. In my opinion they made a huge difference to how the car handles.

23. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

i think my frame is a panel truck frame because of the factory swaybar on the front axle and it looks like the rear has been cut to the right length for the bed.i was wondering if i could get some end links for that sway bar or just ditch it?looks like i will try it and see if i like it or not.