Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goodguys Indy racing.....RIP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boogeracng, Oct 7, 2010.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

They're not, but there will be a track for it!

2. lbrunkala

lbrunkala

Autocross would be a hard thing for most of the cars. And I don't know if that really represents what a Hot Rod is. I enjoy watching autocross, but Hot rods. I don't know.

3. millersgarage

millersgarage

is there one nearby that could be included in the road trip? Private track somewhere?

Can you talk the guy with the cityscape in the back yard to put in a dragstrip? :D

4. lbrunkala

lbrunkala

I know there are plenty of two lane roads that would do the trick. Kirk, got any pull with the local police? That would be more fun then track time!

5. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

KIRK!, for HROTY why dont you look at Muncie drag strip,http://www.munciedragway.com/. You could cruise to it, and make the required HROTY passes. Nice small local track, and they might be more cooperative than ORP.I think we went to the town of Muncie to tour a museum on the 2006 HROTY tour.

6. Brown County Dragway would be another resource for holding the drag race portion of the HROTY.
    It is an 1/8 mile track. Very nice scenic drive to the track.

They are not so commercialized and should be able to get the group of cars in and out of there quickly.

http://www.browncountydragway.com/

7. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

I know of one hot rod that can autocross.....insert devious smilie here.

or you could do something different,

biggest bug stuck in the grill shell competition.........

biggest odometer reading........

jump over some back road railroad tracks like Bo and Luke Duke.......

send all the competitors out and whoever comes back with the ugliest hooker wins. (this would be my favorite and make for some very good photo opportunitys).

Just so it is clear, the new improved indy is the weekend AFTER that other show in Kalamazoo.

8. I for one am ecstatic about the change of venue. The Indy GG event has been horrible and on a pretty steady decline for years. I live by it and don't care to go to it. The IMS will be a terrific location with plenty to do. They are VERY stringent about driving around the track and I hope they allow some rides around. Some old vintage race cars driving around the track periodically would be fantastic. And with the Indy Good Guys show you get 4 days of the absolute best open houses around. :)

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

Thanks for the continued positive input guys!

As I have said, the schedule is not official until next week. I'm in hot water (as I should be) for responding to the spilling of the beans on here. I screwed up in saying that the rumors were true before I was supposed to.

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

KIRK!!! FWIW, I heard those rumors way back around the fifteenth of August...but wasn't my place to continue them...

I hope the powers that be can overlook your transgressions...besides, rumors are just that until they are confirmed...

I make up my rod running/long distance schedule in January...so I never put any stock in rumors...most times I just hope the "good ones" are correct.

R-

11. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Knew the official word was coming, so glad to hear it released. IMS is a pretty awesome place. I'm looking forward to the improved road course!

It's a shame about the lack of drag racing, but at least here in the midwest, we still have events like the Road Rockets drags, Rock n Race, the Meltdown, and our own show, the Hunnert Car Heads Up to have vintage drag racing. Plus the Meltdown and the 'Heads Up are partnering together this year as a vintage drag racing series.

12. KIRK!

KIRK!

That's just it, there are so many negative/false rumors started that influence people's opinions and show plans. I just jumped in a little early to clear this one up. We all know how quickly things spiral downward on here sometimes without guidance.

13. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

When I was a kid we visited the museum and the museum offered a ride around the track - in a shuttle van.

14. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

this is great news for me.......

last year i had a recovery class in indy and went to go see if i could get on the property to tour it and see the history...........NO GO!!!!!!!!

found the museum.................CLOSED.............NO GO !!!!!!!!!!!

time to renew my GG membership

indy is just over 1 hr from where i live now

I WILL BE THEIR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I think this is GREAT news. IMS is a way cool place and like it has been said before in this post, IMS has an amazing museum!

I hope it doesn't end up being the same week as the Rebel Run in Lima (which also is the same as Glenmoor Gathering in Canton), I hate making decisions!

16. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

It still does have the bus ride but as for cars riding around I just dont think its right and yes I include my self.. maybe a trip down the return lanes or pit road but not the bricks .

17. millersgarage

millersgarage

nope, NSRA bumped it a week because it was the same weekend as another huge show in Michigan in Frankenmuth, and another show ( I forgot the name) in Indiana ( I think).

They announced this at the awards ceremony this year.

I really enjoy going to Indy, but the NSRA in Kazoo is kinda my "home" show. Really torn on what to do. Maybe I'll just wait until it is official before I get too worked up.

http://nsra-usa.com/index.php/site/evsum/C2

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  18. I mean, IMS and you get to come see your Bubba's guys? :cool: What decision is there to left to make except what time do I get there. ;):D

19. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I read about the change in StreetScene

20. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Wow! Kzoo is the same weekend. Thanks for pointing that out. I will be in Indy

21. You did the right thing. Tell your bosses that the Indianapolis Chamber of Commerece and an un-named advertising agency had already let the cat out of the bag. I wasn't going to post it here cause it's not my place to do so.

22. RScamaro

RScamaro

This is my first post.
    I am sad to hear there will be no more drag racing at Indy.
    Even though we are racers, we always go to the other side a view the awesome show cars, Vendors and swap meet area. I personally think both venues benefit from each other.
    Every year we do have to deal with the rain.
    It would have been nice if they kept it a IRP and maybe changed the date.

23. 1/8th mile pass down the front stretch, back stretch or pit lane at Indy?

Find owner of private road in area, block it off and have everyone make a pass, ala hot rod street drags of the 50's & 60's, but legal and some what safe.

24. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Indy was the very first event I traveled to when working for Goodguys and it was POURING rain when I got there. It was a lake on the show field! The same the next year- and again the last year! Only event where the track driers made as many passes as the racers! :)

25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Jim A, welcome back to the fray...

R-

26. Chipmaker

Chipmaker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Goodguys has preregisteration on line and it says Raceway Park June 10-11-12 2011

27. when i first started attending goodguys indy( around '92) thay were doing the ride around deal while still having the main event at IRP. this will be nothing new having hotrods driving the race course. Get over it.

28. Graystoke

Graystoke

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

30. American Pie

American Pie
    from Lemont IL

Great suggestion. Change the date and the venue to Route 66 Dragway.

There is plenty of room for show cars, and the pits have acres of asphalt where a closed course could be set up for the pro touring group.

In addition there is a clay oval short track were a night time event could be scheduled too. They did that at Indy for many years.

This is exactly what I suggested on the Goodguys site when I heard that NASCAR scheduled a race at the speedway for that week in September next year. I get the feeling that the Joliet event will remain at the speedway for a while though.

Even though the GGys has a Friday night drag event, it isn't anything like the full 3 day event. Classes are completely different. It makes all the difference to the racers. I understand this is not a racing site, but nostalgia drags and old hot rods have deep roots. I hope they will continue to coexsist.

Dave